Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #1
Just a Rookie

Grille guard for the Sprinter

We just bought a 2015 Sunseeker 2400RSD this month. We live in the pacific northwest where many large critters are known to roam the roads -- some are four-legged and the others drive big trucks. Since close encounters with any of them are best avoided, my intention is to install a grille guard on the Sprinter chassis. I see a threefold benefit: 1) The front of the vehicle drops off sharply with few visual cues as to how close the front end is to any obstacle in the way. The upper parts of a grille guard are normally visible from the cab and help to judge that distance. 2) If by accident one encounters an object or animal at slower speeds, the guard will help reduce damage to the front end of the vehicle. 3) The image of a grille guard has the psychological effect of giving a 'back off' message to anyone seeing it coming their way. I'm a cautious driver but have seen those benefits work in my favor when driving my own pickup which is equipped with a guard. That being said, I have been unable to locate a reasonably priced unit which will fit the 2014 MB chassis. The only options I have found are a massive (heavy) high priced unit on the east coast, or having a fabrication shop custom build one (also a rather pricey choice). Has anyone else found a solution? None of the internet suppliers or truck parts places have been able to help.

Incidentally, I wanted to put a hitch step in the receiver to further protect the lovely painted bumper that extends across the back. WeatherTech makes an injected plastic one that will work, but at about the same price there is a Smittybilt on AutoAnything that is powder coated steel and has locations to use a tow strap.

Based on the tips here in the forum, we got a Quinetics shower head and will put a suede dash cover in the cab to protect it from sun and reflection. We're going to drive it a bit to see if the Helwig sway bar is warranted. Are there any other mods that are generally suggested by owners?
Spokane, WA
717 Jock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 12:59 AM   #2

For info on Solera Mod's, go to: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ead-44705.html

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 AM   #3

Ponder this; if an eleven plus feet tall, wider than your average vehicle, isn't enough message to your two legged friends on the road, then i'm missing something. No seriously, not sure if this is your first MH, but what I have noticed is, the shear size of the MH, causes other drivers to use extra caution when invading your space. Same as you think twice, before pulling out infront of a moving tractor trailer. If an added grill guard makes it more visible, thats a matter of interpretation of the operator IMO. One thing to consider, would be the effect to the vehicle impact sensors which read inertia and send commands to the air bags for deployment if warranted. I'm not sure if a "grill guard" would effect sensor operation, if said impact occured.

As for the four legged types, thats an entirely different issue. Just sayin'
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Ponder this; if an eleven plus feet tall, wider than your average vehicle, isn't enough message to your two legged friends on the road, then i'm missing something. No seriously, not sure if this is your first MH, but what I have noticed is, the shear size of the MH, causes other drivers to use extra caution when invading your space. Same as you think twice, before pulling out infront of a moving tractor trailer. If an added grill guard makes it more visible, thats a matter of interpretation of the operator IMO. One thing to consider, would be the effect to the vehicle impact sensors which read inertia and send commands to the air bags for deployment if warranted. I'm not sure if a "grill guard" would effect sensor operation, if said impact occured.

As for the four legged types, thats an entirely different issue. Just sayin'
Also, think of the added extra weight and distribution!

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #5
Just a Rookie

Good points from everyone. It is our first MH and I'm trying to learn the ropes and take very good care of it. Devilsquid mentioned in the mod thread that he'd added a grille guard and fog lights to his rig. If he's still around I'd be very interested in the sources he used for both items and the weight added as a result.
Spokane, WA
Old 02-12-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
Just a Rookie

Just an update. In my research I've only found one guard that will fit the 2014 and 2015 chassis. It is heavy and expensive (upwards of $800 with the cross country shipping to me, and 65+ pounds of additional steel on the front). Until I can find a better option in both departments, I guess I'll drive the coach 'naked' and hope for the best…. Thanks to all for the inputs.
Spokane, WA
Old 04-22-2015, 04:06 PM   #7
Just a Rookie

I finally found a bull/nudge bar on Eurocampers website that will serve my purposes and allow mounting road/fog lights without having to replace the entire bumper assembly. After this last trip seeing a bear (Steven's Pass, WA) and over a dozen large deer along the route, I'm still thinking it might be a worthwhile addition. Bull Bar for 2014 - 2015 Mercedes or Freightliner Sprinter - choose black or Stainless finish
Spokane, WA