Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2012, 10:45 PM   #1

Handling question

We are looking at a used 2011 Solera. We intend to use it to drive to small campgrounds near trailheads and use it as a jumping off point for hiking and backpacking. My question is: how does the Solera handle on dirt roads? Not the rough, nasty ones, but graded, well maintained ones? Can many of those small campgrounds in state and national parks accommodate the Solera? No hookups would be required - just a place to set up. Does anyone else travel like this? Any feedback would be appreciated.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:24 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Just returned from five nights in California State Parks without hookups. Have previously stayed at three National Parks and other CA, OR and WA State Parks. Roads and sites much like you described. Solera did great - no handling or performance issues. We do use the "Leggo-like" leveling blocks if the site is significantly out of level. Also, I find I need to refill the fresh water every couple of days (when it reads <2/3 on panel) - I shuttle water from the campground taps with two gallon jugs; add to the tank with a funnel. Six or seven trips at two gallons per trip usually fills it.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #3

One thing to consider is the length. While the Solera is short as RV's go, some primitive roads, especially in the mountains have very tight switchbacks. In forested areas the trees are often very close to the already narrow roadway. If you are adventuring where other RV's haven't been, I can envision getting to a point where you can't pass and where they may be no place to turn around. I guess you would really want the backup camera at that point.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Good point. While I haven't hsd issues, I have on occasion used both the backup camera and DW to get turned around. I've also pre-walked some sections before entering.
I should have mentioned vertical clearance. At 11.5 feet, the Solera is high. I do have to watch for low hanging tree branches on some campground roads and at some sites - I pick the highest section of the tree and "GO SLOW", sometimes brushing the lowest branches with the A/C.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote