Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Hard wired 30 amp

I have a Solera 24S which has it's 30 amp cord hardwired in the rig. I'm thinking of replacing it with a 30 amp inlet plug and a detachable cord. Has anyone else looked at doing this or maybe done it?
Old 07-28-2015, 02:35 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I have a Solera 24S which has it's 30 amp cord hardwired in the rig. I'm thinking of replacing it with a 30 amp inlet plug and a detachable cord. Has anyone else looked at doing this or maybe done it?
Not sure the advantage to you but one certain disadvantage
Is one more potable joint which overheats when conducting 30 amps of current. The forum has tons of cases of these junctions getting hot when full current is drawn just below circuit breaker rating. It's happened to many of us.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Plus you run the risk of leaving your rig unattended and tempting some "poor" soul from easily freeing it for profit. LOL
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #4
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We have the in wall hard mounted 30 amp inlet.
Advantage, one less place for mice to get in.
Look for the straight blade style.
We have the turn and lock. One of the prongs is loose and now we have to change it out.

Conntek has some good ones and codes to match.

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #5

Good responses on the subject, I would be looking at having the plug in, inside of the compartment ratter than outside where it could be taken. And I have been looking at the Smartplug 30 amp connection, which doesn't turn to lock and has a internal heat sensor to prevent over heating problems. Just what I've been thinking about also.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:17 PM   #6

One additional advantage of having the one that you manually attach is that you can get a second 30 amp cord and leave one in the MH and keep one attached to the outlet where you keep your motorhome (if security permits).

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 12:08 PM   #7

If purchasing new hardware, consider products from Marinco - they make electrical components for both the RV and Marine industries. Also, I've noticed that most expensive RVs use a separate cable that connects to a hard mounted receptacle on the side of the camper.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickiedooFlagman View Post
If purchasing new hardware, consider products from Marino - they make electrical components for both the RV and Marine industries. Aclso, I've noticed that most expensive RVs use a separate cable that connects to a hard mounted receptacle on the side of the camper.
I had one on our 2012 Salem 27RKSS and it worked perfectly. no struggle to reinsert the line into the trailer at 4 or 5 degrees.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:46 AM   #9

Quote:
The detachable one is sure a lot easier to deal with !!!
But maybe not as secure as the hard wired one !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #10

As I stated, I'm locating the plug inside of the compartment so it'll be secure from theft. The plug I'm going with is the 30 amp SmartPlug . The design was made for the boating industry and has found it's way into the RV field. Their web site is SmartPlug.com, their a little more expensive than the regular plugs but look a lot more safer.
Old 08-01-2015, 09:34 AM   #11

Quote:
As I stated, I'm locating the plug inside of the compartment so it'll be secure from theft. The plug I'm going with is the 30 amp SmartPlug . The design was made for the boating industry and has found it's way into the RV field. Their web site is SmartPlug.com, their a little more expensive than regular plugs but look a lot more safer.
Good idea, does it trip and warn or just warn?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 09:48 AM   #12

The way I understand it they trip at 200 degree, then reset once the temp goes back down to 120 degree. They have video of these on youtube and their web site at smartplug.com.