Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #41

I know in PA, even the State DOT people don't stop and write you, because their hands are filled policing the commercial traffic, just like the ICC is on Interstates. However, keep your weight/safety equipment in spec/operating order because, God-forbid, you end up in, or causing a wreck, if you survive you may be heftily sited or worse!
CWElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #42

I used to work in sales for a manufacturer of a piezo sensor that is placed in the road surface and can WIM (weigh-in-motion) a vehicle traveling at highway speeds (i.e. 70mph) and be within 5% of actual weight. Some places they have them installed in the highway approaching a scale and can be able to tell whether a truck is near max weight before it gets to the actual scale and either give it a green light or a red light. They watch for van trailers as they can't see if they are loaded or not, not the case with flat beds or low boys. I sold these in nearly very state (as well as South America), Texas DOT was my biggest customer. I helped install one on I-10 west of San Antonio and also one on a state highway in Missouri at the Kansas state line. They also place the sensor in many areas where there are no scales but do traffic studies and be able to tell when there may be an elevated amount of overweight traffic, such as in the Midwest at corn harvest time and bring out the portable scales. They can also classify traffic and count how many cars, trucks, motorcycles are using the highway and measure speed. The information is stored on a hard drive at the site and polled via an installed cell phone. For those of you that are commercial drivers, big brother is watching you when you don't even realize it.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 02:05 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
Wondering...

has anyone been stopped and weighed while traveling? If so, has anyone been caught over weight? What were the repercussions? Federal or State
Here in NZ we have a weigh station just a 1/2 mile away I get pulled in my heavy truck at least once a month but never seen a TT or motorhome being weighed even through the police have the power to pull you over
savi18 is offline   Reply With Quote