Old 11-12-2015, 12:43 PM   #1

Has anyone been stopped and weighed

Wondering...

has anyone been stopped and weighed while traveling? If so, has anyone been caught over weight? What were the repercussions? Federal or State

Old 11-12-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

No. My thought is one would not get stopped unless it was an obvious situation one is overweight (Toyota towing a 40' 5th wheel- yikes!) Or, if one gets in a serious accident, then perhaps.
I do know of an instance here in NC not involving an RV, but a guy towing a back hoe with a small truck down the interstate and got nabbed at the weigh station. He did not have a commercial license on the truck and he was way over capacity. It cost him more than $2,000!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Wildcat 295RSX
2012 Ford F-250, 4x4, 6.7 Liter Diesel
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #3

Never been stopped. Never heard of anyone getting stopped.

Former Forest River Campers:
2004 Puma 30FQSS
2010 Sabre 31QBDS
2014 Work & Play 30WRS
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 12:54 PM   #4

Depending on the state (California) and the configuration of our rig and GVW you may need to stop at POE's.

Here in Idaho as a noncommercial rig you are outside of DOT's authority.

During my travels I have only pulled into a weigh station when they are closed to axle out my rigs.
Old 11-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Depending on the state (California) and the configuration of our rig and GVW you may need to stop at POE's.

Here in Idaho as a noncommercial rig you are outside of DOT's authority.

During my travels I have only pulled into a weigh station when they are closed to axle out my rigs.
Oh can you use closed weigh stations? Kindly explain!
Old 11-12-2015, 06:27 PM   #6

In most cases the Leos are more interested in the very heavy commercial rigs that do serious damage to the roads. In our area its log and chip trucks. Both often wreck as well..... I have never heard of an RV being stopped to be weighed other reasons yes......... I am not saying it does not happen but it would be rare on the east coast. Tourism is too big and important to the economy .

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
Oh can you use closed weigh stations? Kindly explain!
Here in ID., OR and WA. I have used closed POE's with outside reader boards to weigh the axles of my rig.

This is for my information so using the scale when open might be a bad idea, someone here posted that every/all 3/4 ton trucks with trailers ARE overloaded......
Front axle + Rear axle + Trailer = GVW
Old 11-12-2015, 06:38 PM   #8

I know people in the DOT in MT, ID, and OR. They have never heard of a RV being stopped and weighed. Their only jurisdiction is commercial vehicles.

I have used the State truck scales in MT and OR when they are closed. It is commonly done around here. I would not do it if they were open.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mtelkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 06:42 PM   #9

Here in MT, in some places we have scales that are rarely open that have the reader board on all the time. I have used the one outside Forsyth and Circle.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:12 PM   #10
Professional Texan

I've never been stopped and weighed by the state weights and measures officers but I have weighed myself.

I think everyone should weigh their rig, whatever it is. If you limit yourself to adding up weight sticker and guessing how much junk you’re hauling around you don't really know how much you weigh.

The last time I bought a travel trailer I had a good truck with plenty of tow capacity. The first time I loaded it up with all of our junk I pulled it across the scales to confirm what I already knew, or at least thought I knew. I was wrong. My truck was 200 pounds over the maximum weight. So I weighed it 2 or 3 different ways and it was still too heavy. The tongue weight was too much. So what do you do?

I changed the way we camped. I left things home; I redistributed things I had to have and it was still on the ragged edge. The truck pulled fine.
So I lived with it. I was never that comfortable with truck trailer combination again.

After a few years (September 2015) I traded in the newest truck I had ever traded for a new larger truck. And again I weighed the rig. All the numbers were good with all my junk on board and I have almost 1000 pounds to spare.

Have I been weighed? Yes I have. And if you have not weighed you need to. It’s probably OK and you will know that it is OK. …or not

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote