Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
Needs Help

Heat Pump

My S came with a heat pump. It doesn't appear to work. Is there some trick to using it other than setting the thermostat to heat pump? I know it's mid summer but way up north it gets cold at night and while I'm using campground power, I don't want to use my propane.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:39 AM   #2

Make sure you have the fan set to auto. Mine works fine.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:15 AM   #3

You should also know that with the fan in auto it will alternate between high fan and low fan as it senses the need to change. I found this to be annoying. So, I set the fan to high for Air Conditioning so it blows at the same speed. Push the Fan button and it toggles through low, high and auto.

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
Needs Help

The fan was set to auto. I just tried it with the fan on and no luck. Looks like I need to find a forest river dealer here in AK that can find the problem.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:29 PM   #5

Does it work when set for air conditioner? If not, have you checked the circuit breaker for the air conditioner/heat pump? If you are unsure whether or not it has tripped, switch it off, then on anyway to be sure it is reset.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:01 PM   #6
Needs Help

The AC works fine. It may be the thermostat, tstat wire or in the unit. I'm a long way from my dealer so when I get to Anchorage I'll see if there is a FR dealer willing to do warranty work.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:22 AM   #7

Another thing to check is to make sure you are plugged into a 20 amp or 30 amp circuit. 15 amp circuits (which look the same as 20 amp) will not run the heat pump or air conditioner. Although your symptoms don't seem to indicate this in particular, but worth making sure.

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 07:13 PM   #8
Needs Help

I'm in the third park on 30 amp power. Both previous parks were quality operations and I'm sure the power was 30 amps. AC worked in both. Now I'm in a smaller park near Denali and turned it to heat pump when I arrived. It's been about 65 in here since I arrived with the hp set to 74.

Out of the blue after two hours it came on and has cycled twice so far and it's making heat. I can see it drawing 20 amps. It's a definite head scratcher.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:48 PM   #9
Needs Help

After those two cycles it stopped working again. I removed the filter and and thermostat cover and see how only three wires connect the two. Power, ground and comms. Can't be a loose wire or nothing would work. Wish I had a spare thermostat to test.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #10
Northern Most Member ?

Living_the_dream,
We live in Denali, if you need help give me a call at 907-687-4407. I have a fully equipped shop.
I am currently working on our 24R getting it ready for our trip south.

Toolman
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman Taylor View Post
Living_the_dream,
We live in Denali, if you need help give me a call at. I have a fully equipped shop.

Toolman
I WOULDN'T use your phone number in an open forum!
It may be used for less then honorable intentions!
Jus an fyi[emoji49]

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I WOULDN'T use your phone number in an open forum!
It may be used for less then honorable intentions!
Jus an fyi[emoji49]

"sabre owners united!"

turbs
To both the original poster and to the responder: you can convey information such as phone number by sending a private message to a poster. Just click on the poster's nickname (e.g. ramblerguy) and a menu will pop up with "Send a Private Message to ....". When you send a private message an advisory will show on the person's screen.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:08 PM   #13
Needs Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman Taylor View Post
Living_the_dream,
We live in Denali, if you need help give me a call at ********. I have a fully equipped shop.

Toolman
Thanks for the offer toolman. I brought way too many tools so wouldn't need your shop. An extra pair of eyes would have been nice. I'm south of Anchorage exploring now. I may just wait until I get back. The propane heater isn't using that much gas and temperatures are a little milder so I'm not too concerned.

If I leave the heat pump on it will run a few short cycles. It won't come on right away though. Needs warranty work.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:52 PM   #14
Karen, Pete & Chloe Kat

Solera 24 Has Heat Pump???

Quote:
Originally Posted by richhop25 View Post
Another thing to check is to make sure you are plugged into a 20 amp or 30 amp circuit. 15 amp circuits (which look the same as 20 amp) will not run the heat pump or air conditioner. Although your symptoms don't seem to indicate this in particular, but worth making sure.
Hi, I have a 2016 Solera 24R which I took delivery in Jul 2015. I just tried using the furnace a couple of days ago and didn't get past the smoke alarm going Off. Tried two different nights, same result. It didn't feel like there was very much air flow and air was not Hot.

Luckily I had brought a small electric space heater along, but it was not adequate, even with an outside Temp around 46 Deg F.

My thermostat has a position called heat pump, but there are no instructions and probably no heat pump.

How can you tell if you have a heat pump? (feel stupid asking)

Thanks for any advice/recommendations.

sanpedroflyer
sanpedroflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:59 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpedroflyer View Post
Hi, I have a 2016 Solera 24R which I took delivery in Jul 2015. I just tried using the furnace a couple of days ago and didn't get past the smoke alarm going Off. Tried two different nights, same result. It didn't feel like there was very much air flow and air was not Hot.

Luckily I had brought a small electric space heater along, but it was not adequate, even with an outside Temp around 46 Deg F.

My thermostat has a position called heat pump, but there are no instructions and probably no heat pump.

sanpedroflyer
Try it and see... I think if teh stat has one labelled then there is prob a HP. Does not work when it is cold thou.... mine seemed to kick off at around 37

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:05 PM   #16

Get the make and model number of your air conditioner and look it up on the manufacturer's Web site. If you can't read the label inside the return air opening, it is probably also on the unit under the roof cover.

You may be able to get your dealer to tell you if you have a heat pump. If not, contact the Forest River representative and give him or her you coach's serial number. The rep may send you the build sheet or "window sticker".
Old 12-01-2015, 08:46 PM   #17

If you are trying heat pump setting, it will not start and deliver hot air. It must extract heat from outside cool air and this process takes time. It will soon deliver warm air in medium quantity and should keep inside comfortable. Not recommended to operate below 40F as its like "squeeze ing blood from a turnip" and may cause damage. Besides for 15 amps of VAC you'll get more heat from a floor heater when cold outside.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanpedroflyer View Post

sanpedroflyer
If your thermostat says "heat pump" then you should have one. The heat pump function is normally with a 15'000 BTU unit.

To use the heat pump, select "heat pump" on your thermostat and set the temp to something higher than current inside temp. The heat pump should start to work. It will take a few minutes to realize any heat coming from the overhead vents. Mine works very well and I use it rather than the furnace when ever possible. It should operate down to approx 30 degrees outside temp, but will not be as efficient when you get to the 40's.

BTW, your furnace will put out some fumes that will set off your smoke alarm until they get burned off (new installation). I would run the furnace with the exhaust fans on for a while to clear the system. Of course monitor the furnace during this period.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:12 AM   #19

FWIW - I use two inexpensive Pelonis-type heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
If your thermostat says "heat pump" then you should have one. The heat pump function is normally with a 15'000 BTU unit.

To use the heat pump, select "heat pump" on your thermostat and set the temp to something higher than current inside temp. The heat pump should start to work. It will take a few minutes to realize any heat coming from the overhead vents. Mine works very well and I use it rather than the furnace when ever possible. It should operate down to approx 30 degrees outside temp, but will not be as efficient when you get to the 40's.

BTW, your furnace will put out some fumes that will set off your smoke alarm until they get burned off (new installation). I would run the furnace with the exhaust fans on for a while to clear the system. Of course monitor the furnace during this period.
We purchased a 2014 Solera 24R with full paint for a very good price 3 months ago. The last week of October we went to see the Elk at Parker Dam in PA, and it was seriously cold the entire weekend.

I will tell you that both the furnace and the overhead heatpump are very noisy when trying to sleep, whereas two inexpensive 1500-watt ceramic heaters do the job of the others and are almost silent - assuming you have shore-power.

Also, turning on the furnace for whatever reason also turns on the overhead heatpump FAN. Does anyone know if there is a way to disable the fan when running the furnace ? It is probably wired that way to move the air around more effectively, but for us the noise drowns out the benefit of improved air movement !
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:19 AM   #20

How To Turn OFF Overhead FAN when Furnace is Running

Ok - so I can answer my own question. According to the Dometic Thermostat Manual - if you are running the furnace and want to turn the overhead fan OFF, switch to fan mode and set it to AUTO. You have three options - Auto, LOW, HIGH. Apparently setting to AUTO when in furnace mode turns the fan completely off. Cool.

http://www.dometic.com/QBankFiles3/E...nual_17590.pdf

See page 8.
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump