Old 08-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #91
GM

Well, we're now up to 9 pages. I'm pushing hard to make them standard. No word back from MB.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckirby50 View Post
I just broke down and order the sway bar also, will be here Friday. The peer pressure was just to much!!!!
We'll be driving to Ouray in September to a Jeep Jamboree. Sure we'll get plenty of wind getting out of Oklahoma.
Putting a lot of trust in you fellow Solera owners.
Great decision. You won't be disappointed. You're right, OK will be a good test. By the way, I think Hellwig owes this forum a BIG thank you. I think there have been at least a dozen sold since this thread started! And everyone has been pleased.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Well, we're now up to 9 pages. I'm pushing hard to make them standard. No word back from MB.
The reduction in sway constitutes a reduction in risk. I would think MB would be anxious to make that improvement.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:23 AM   #94
GM

You must not know MB. They have some "sway" sensor so that if it sways too much it goes into "limp mode". I'm sure they think that's all we need.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #95

Quote:
You must not know MB. They have some "sway" sensor so that if it sways too much it goes into "limp mode". I'm sure they think that's all we need.
Good point. At the risk of someone suggesting I need sensitivity counseling, I'm pretty sure there are some in Stuttgart who think they know everything about EVERYTHING!!

Why not stop the sway before it begins?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM   #96

I also think you would be hard pressed to get MB to remove their factory sway bar and install a Helwig after market on it. They would have to go through about 10 year evaluation on it. Then the bean counters would have to look at what the additional expenses would be.

This is all in jest that I say this.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #97

Got to drive mine about 120 miles this week. Big improvement over the stock bar.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #98
2012 Solera

Quote:
Didn't experience anything I would call a "limp mode", but I have had the ESP yellow warning light come on in heavy crosswinds at highway speeds (as have others - see ESP ASR & BAS lights during crosswinds)
I believe the ESP light indicates that the stability control system has been "triggered" by sensors seeing a "steering anomaly". It then intervenes and the warning light latches on until the engine is shut off - light clears on a re-start. I didn't notice any driving issues - other than the yellow light.
I'm hoping the Helwig bar will stabilize things enough to avoid triggering the ESP in the future... Time will tell.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #99

Finally installed the Hellwig 7254 Rear Sway Bar for my trip from Florida to Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, etc. Cannot wait to see how throughly my Solera will drive on the hills, highway roads-bypassing 18 wheelers, etc. Now what to do with the old (still looks new with 1001 miles on it) Mercedes Benz sway bar. Thinking about just dropping it off at the nearest dealer, hate to throw it away-Any other ideas?

2013 Solera 24S
Old 08-10-2013, 09:24 AM   #100

Take it to a salvage yard so they can recycle it and not to the dump. I doubt very much that MB would want it back. I have some things I need to take to the salvage yard also. I replaced the hitch on my pickup and I still have the old one and a number of other things that are laying around in my shop.