Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #181

UPDATE -- Installed the sway bar on the 2014 (confirmed with Helwig) and it has been a terrific improvement. I highly recommend it. Same route that caused me major stress while driving through some wind and trucks - way less sway and buffeting. I felt much safer at 5 mph more. It takes some effort, but well worth the effort and $'s.

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #182

Here is another option.
The RoadMaster Anti-Sway Bar really worked great at reducing the sway over bumps, short turns over driveways, and in the wind. This is our second trip with it. We had a good test for about 300 miles on Interstate 84 between Portland and Boise. The Columbia Gorge and the desert are usually very windy. No problem this trip compared to previous trips with steering control with the winds.
We went with RoadMaster based on a recommendation from a mechanic at Camping World. The sway bar needs to be ordered specifically to match the chassis.

General information from RoadMaster.
Roadmaster Inc. - Tow Bars, Braking Systems & RV Accessories
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:59 PM   #183

After putting a few miles in, the Hellwig sway bar gets top marks. Even the North Dakota winds didn't upset the chassis like they used to (and that is saying something). The pop I heard on my initial test run was the plastic shower liner exploding into a spiderweb of cracks. Not sure why it would do that or if it is related. Now to research shower repairs...
Sprintboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 07:44 AM   #184

I have about 500 miles on my Hellwig. The ride is MUCH better. However, I am hearing popping noises now which I believe are coming from the sway bar. I re-checked the torque on the bolts and installed washers to space the gap between the drop down bracket properly. Still, lots of popping on rough roads.

Has anyone figured out what the popping noise is?
mphair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:40 PM   #185

No popping on mine.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #186
2012 Solera

X2. No popping.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:07 AM   #187

Did you apply lubricant to the rubber bushings? If not, that could be the cause.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:50 AM   #188

Yes, I applied the lube.
I am going to find some people to rock the camper while I'm underneath to see if I can find the culprit. It's very loud and annoying. By the way, it's a 2014 24S.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:12 AM   #189

My wife and I installed our Hellwig yesterday on our new 2014 S and it took about 3 hours. I had a hard time lining up the replacement bolts as the rig was parked in our driveway and was not completely level. Finally had my wife grab the 2 ton floor jack and used it to apply pressure to one side to get the bar in place so the final hanger bolt would go in. Bless her heart for being such a good helper, she didn't know to drag the jack out to me under the rig, she carried it. I also wasn't sure about how the smaller ratchet torque wrench worked and didn't have a lot of room to use the longer needle scaled wrench so my torque may not be exact. I did use quite a bit of Loctite. I didn't use any spacers on the hang down strap, they just came together when I tightened the bolt. If doing again I would remove the spare tire as there wasn't much room to work under there and the muffler was also in the way. Don't remove that. On the test drive the rig seemed much more stable with noticeable less side to side movement but a longer trip next week will be the better test.
dkarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #190
Needs Help

I'm going to install mine in the next couple of days. As for re-torque, I am from the school of check it again with the torque wrench and if it clicks without movement, I am good.
Old 06-23-2014, 06:55 AM   #191

I am hearing the same popping noises as you guys. The Hellwig ride is far superior to the original sway bar, but the popping noises are disconcerting. Happens to me mostly after some time on calm roads then a departure onto a driveway where the sway is stressed. After those pops, it happens less until it gets relaxed again, then stressed. Does that sound like what you guys are experiencing?

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 06-23-2014, 06:56 AM   #192

I am hearing the same popping noises as you guys. The Hellwig ride is far superior to the original sway bar, but the popping noises are disconcerting. Happens to me mostly after some time on calm roads then a departure onto a driveway where the sway is stressed. After those pops, it happens less until it gets relaxed again, then stressed. Does that sound like what you guys are experiencing?

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 06-23-2014, 07:19 AM   #193
Needs Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by richhop25 View Post
Did you remember to lube the two rubber bushings before installing? Hard to imagine what would be making that noise. Have you check to make sure it's still tight?
Old 06-23-2014, 01:15 PM   #194

I hear that popping noise also similar to what you described. I did lube the rubber bushings and made sure the bolts are tight. I believe it is just some flexing of the frame.
dkarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:51 AM   #195

I spoke with Hellwig TODAY. They confirmed that part 7254 for the "Dodge Sprinter 3500" would work, well, actually, it IS the appropriate part for the MB Sprinter 3500. (Even though their website said that they "had no product to match" the application).

On an aside-- the Hellwig tech advisor said he had received 3 phone calls TODAY regarding "part 7254" and asked ME "why was there such a sudden interest in that product!" I'm ordering mine when I finish this note. (before Hellwig jacks the prices up)
eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #196

Yes, the bushings were lubed with the grease supplied. I can't imagine this loud thunk being caused by dry rubber on metal. At any rate, I'll be checking those two suggestions when I get back home.

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 06-24-2014, 02:47 PM   #197
Needs Help

I did my install today. Didn't jack it up or remove the spare. I have limited range of motion on my right arm, so this was a fun experience trying to position my body to be able to use both hands. Took me about two hours. If it was 6" higher I could have done it in half the time.

It's an easy install. Tomorrow I will take it for a test drive to see how it feels.

While installing it, I was trying to imagine what would cause a popping noise. I don't have anything to offer there.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:05 AM   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by richhop25 View Post

That's what I've been experiencing too.
I've re torqued the bolts, which were fine, and still popping when there is sway.
Old 06-25-2014, 09:58 AM   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphair View Post
That's what I've been experiencing too.
I've re torqued the bolts, which were fine, and still popping when there is sway.
X (?) Same here, rechecked bolts, everything is "Okay!"
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:17 AM   #200

I was holding off on this post for a while because it is more an observation than a request or answer.
I believe this whole sway bar issue is relative to FR putting too big a box on the chassis. Not that it exceeds weight limits or practicality. I love mine. But, the chassis seems to me to be more suited to a class 'B' which would be 18 to 24 inches narrower, not as tall, and less wind resistance.
I've seen several on this chassis that look quite refined. For me I needed more space for grandkids and such at times, so B was not a good choice.
You can see the width issue if you look at the rear wheelbase. My thought is that the coach is top-heavy enough that the factory sway bar is over-taxed. The hellwig overcomes this effectively enough but doesn't fully alleviate the problems.
Just my thoughts on the issue.

Rich

Solera 24R - 2014