Old 06-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #11

Hooray!! It arrived this morning, I installed this afternoon. Papa P it was more like 2 hours for me. I didn't trust the little jack stands I have which I use for rotating tires on my family sedans. Sooo. had to drive up on leveling blocks which raised the rear maybe 3.5" - not enough for comfort, so working under the Solera was really tight. And yes, I had to go buy Allen Socket adapter. Fashioned a third hand from some scrap wood I had laying around; really helped because the Hellwig bar is heavier than the stock one. Haven't weighed them but I'd estimate by at least 10#.

After I finished, I took it for a test drive - about 10-12 miles, highway and city; and with a storm brewing, I had a chance to check out the effect of cross winds of probably 15mph. Tried it up to 70mph (faster than I ever drive it). I couldn't believe the difference it made - maybe the best mod I've ever done in terms of cost vs. benefit. Highly recommended for those who haven't done this yet.

Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
Hooray!! It arrived this morning, I installed this afternoon. Papa P it was more like 2 hours for me. I didn't trust the little jack stands I have which I use for rotating tires on my family sedans. Sooo. had to drive up on leveling blocks which raised the rear maybe 3.5" - not enough for comfort, so working under the Solera was really tight. And yes, I had to go buy Allen Socket adapter. Fashioned a third hand from some scrap wood I had laying around; really helped because the Hellwig bar is heavier than the stock one. Haven't weighed them but I'd estimate by at least 10#.

After I finished, I took it for a test drive - about 10-12 miles, highway and city; and with a storm brewing, I had a chance to check out the effect of cross winds of probably 15mph. Tried it up to 70mph (faster than I ever drive it). I couldn't believe the difference it made - maybe the best mod I've ever done in terms of cost vs. benefit. Highly recommended for those who haven't done this yet.
I gotta get mine installed couldn't last week because we were camping ... this week too busy to take it and next is a holiday week. Maybe I'll take it then anyway. Thanks for letting us know how it is working out!

Old 06-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #13

Quick

Mine must of gone quicker because I did not use any jacks or raise camper. Oh and I have air tools. LOL

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Mine must of gone quicker because I did not use any jacks or raise camper. Oh and I have air tools. LOL
AHA! Air tools. You don't know how close I was to running out and buying an air impact wrench! But had already wasted a good half hour looking for the Allen adapter!
Old 06-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #15

Just wondering is the Hellwig bar much bigger than the one on the Solera? I wouldn't mind getting one if it's really going to make a difference. But does it????
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Just wondering is the Hellwig bar much bigger than the one on the Solera? I wouldn't mind getting one if it's really going to make a difference. But does it????
Henry:
It's a direct replacement, fits the same holes, etc. The difference in the Hellwig is that it's a lot stronger, and larger diameter. It weighs substantially more than the stock one. So the other dimensions are the same, and it fits easily.

Yes, it really makes a difference. As I stated earlier, I installed today, and only had a 10-15 mile test drive in substantial cross winds. There is really a noticeable and great difference in handling. Not very expensive, and if you're handy with tools should have no problem doing a self-install.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #17

Ed,
I'm looking at one on Amazon for $175 think I will order it after your statement. Thanks
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Ed,
I'm looking at one on Amazon for $175 think I will order it after your statement. Thanks
Henry:
That's the one I ordered - if you have prime shipping is free and two day delivery. That was the best price I found. Make sure you have a torque wrench!
Old 06-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #19

FYI;
Interesting site at Hellwig 7254 | Frugal Mechanic

Just ordered thru JC Whitney with discount code of "HOTDEAL" for $169.17 (Free Shipping). Thanks for all your reviews.

Old 06-26-2013, 08:15 PM   #20

Ed

I got them for $145 after applying for their Visa card plus free shipping. I presume that instructions come with them? I'll have to see about a torque wrench. Thanks