Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2016, 09:08 PM   #381

Just wondering if anyone is still having any Popping noises lately on your Hellwig 7254 Sway Bar after your fix? I have greased mine up, but every once in awhile when I hit a large bump-usually in a turn I get noises. Thanks.

CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:47 PM   #382

Capt D...

On my 24S which I picked up a little more than a year ago(2011 model) I would occasionally get a "pop" (maybe rather a grunt?) from what I perceived to be the sway bar whenever I would tenderly back it down from besides the house, over a few roots from the maple tree, over a sidewalk, and then the curb onto the street(all on an incline).
I have to hang onto it and use a back-and-forth of throttle, brake, and also handbrake
to make sure it doesn't sink into any wet ground but also keep the momentum going...I'm getting good at this but managed to nurture a few noises from that area.
However, mine is a beefy RoadMaster sway on the rear so it seems they all succumb
to this problem once in a while. Esp. with the motions mine would have to go through
to make it down to the street...

Anyway...I think you and I also went round-and-round a while back re installing proverbial Sumo Springs to further help out? I think you convinced me to do this which I finally ordered and installed DIY (of course, in the rain...when else right? Was sunny and clear when I started...lol). To get to the point...I honestly haven't heard a peep
since then, esp. when backing it down over the convolutions. All four Sumo's CERTAINLY set the suspension
up for the highway on the rig and I feel actually tunes it up a bit! The ride is much more stable, esp. when in a dirty air situation with the semi's, etc., and I want to thank
you for the encouragement. And, no peeps nor pops! Did you ever put Sumo's on?
Maybe the RoadMaster brand AND Sumo's are made for each other...dunno? I hope
you win! When it's man vs. machine...man ALWAYS wins! Cheers! -PB
Old 01-25-2016, 09:57 PM   #383

I didn't experience the infamous noise some had mentioned for the first 7500 miles - then it began. As others stated -- it only occurred on sharp turns or when rocking hard in rougher terrain. I looked and found I needed to retorque the bolts and the problem was solved. However, the inside tread on both my inner rear tires were badly worn and I replaced than at the same time I torqued the bar back to specs. I doubt the noise and tread wear are related, but thought I'd mention it
eyedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 09:59 PM   #384

I also just installed sumo springs and the occasional creaks went away. I already had the helwig. Now I just ordered bilstiens too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:17 PM   #385

No Problems After I Torgued Bolts to 80 psi

I have had No Problems Since I torqued the sway bar strap Bolts to 80 psi as recommended by Hellwig.
CASolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #386

Just a note on terminology and such as I think there may be some confusion regarding Sumo Spring products. As near as I can tell, Sumo Springs offers 3 upgrade products which might be of interest to Sprinter motorhome owners.

The first is a simple rear axle bump stop replacement for the existing Sprinter bump stops - product number SSR-338-47. This seems to sell for about $200 / pair.

The second is a more significant replacement for the rear bump stop, product number SSR-336-54-1. Prices for this are in the $560 / pair range.

The third product is a front suspension upgrade, product number SSF-106-40, for about $150 / pair.

Anyway, when discussing SumoSprings or SuperSprings it might be helpful to mention exactly which product you're using or asking about.

Thanks!

Dave
Old 01-27-2016, 01:13 PM   #387

Sumo Springs

Thanks DAVEJORDAN for asking for that clarification on Sumo springs as I apparently am confused. I only have 3500 miles on my 24R and tow a 6x12 enclosed. I get lots of side to side when being passed by a semi or following at 65 or so, I have factory installed Helwigs and am not sure what product to install to correct this situation.

DOGPA

2016 Solera 24R
dogpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:31 PM   #388

I did the helwig and the maxim sumo springs. These are the second of Dave's list. I may do the bilsteins at some point but I'm quite satisfied with the current state of affairs. One interesting point is that there is a heat shield on the right hand spring, which is located too close to the exhaust pipe. As a result it (the shield) gets deflected downward (its fairly thin metal) and on bumps will hit the rear axle. Makes a weird noise. I had trouble figuring out what was making the noise. Once I got under the rig I could see where the heat shield was hitting. A pair of tin snips will fix the problem. But I called super springs to let them know. They are great at helping out. The tech had me take pictures. He'd never seen this before. It seems the exhaust in our rigs is slightly different than on regular sprinter 3500. It's a bit lower and further lateral so it comes in contact with the heat shield. He said the shield is made of light metal so it can be shaped to allow for this type of interference. I wish the guy who installed it had thought of that! None the less its very easy to fix. The tech also commented that the springs seemed heavily laden. He's used to looking at sprinter vans, and thought it was a good idea to add support to the existing suspension.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 02:32 PM   #389

This is a photo of the offending heat shield before repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1453923144189.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	98502  
Old 01-27-2016, 02:44 PM   #390

Sumo Install

Back Doctor, how long was the install? Any special tools? I have searched for a how to video but cannot find one.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
Old 01-27-2016, 03:32 PM   #391

BackDoctor, did you order then springs based on your frame year?

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 PM   #392

I ordered from suspension connection. Call and they will guide you, but I believe the models are all similar since 2009. I got the Helwig sway bar at the same time, and the tech here in Ottawa took 3 hrs to install the springs and sway bar.

http://www.suspensionconnection.com/
Old 01-28-2016, 12:25 AM   #393

Ok thanks for the info.

Dogpa

2016 Solera 24R
Old 01-31-2016, 11:13 AM   #394

Here are links to the three Sumo Springs products that appear to be applicable to our MBS motorhomes:

First, the basic rear axle bump stop replacement:
SumoSprings Solo #SSR-338-47Â*| SuperSprings
Second, the more significant rear axle bump stop replacement, basically an additional spring:
SumoSprings Maxim #SSR-336-54-1Â*| SuperSprings
Finally, there's a front suspension upgrade:
SumoSprings Solo #SSF-106-40Â*| SuperSprings
Note that these are links to the Sumo Springs / Super Springs web site with relatively complete information. The products themselves seem to be available at lower cost from other online sources.

Dave
Old 02-01-2016, 01:07 AM   #395

Thank you for clarifying the various SumoSpring products. I was getting more confused than a cow standing on astroturf 🐴
namusmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 12:41 AM   #396

I was wondering if the Sumo Springs Maxim SSR 336 54 1A are appreciably more effective than the Sumo Springs Solo SSR 338 47A. Are the Maxims worth the additional cost or are the Solos coupled with the factory Hellwig sway bar sufficient to do the job?
Old 03-10-2016, 01:36 AM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Capt D...

On my 24S which I picked up a little more than a year ago(2011 model) I would occasionally get a "pop" (maybe rather a grunt?) from what I perceived to be the sway bar whenever I would tenderly back it down from besides the house, over a few roots from the maple tree, over a sidewalk, and then the curb onto the street(all on an incline).
I have to hang onto it and use a back-and-forth of throttle, brake, and also handbrake
to make sure it doesn't sink into any wet ground but also keep the momentum going...I'm getting good at this but managed to nurture a few noises from that area.
However, mine is a beefy RoadMaster sway on the rear so it seems they all succumb
to this problem once in a while. Esp. with the motions mine would have to go through
to make it down to the street...

Anyway...I think you and I also went round-and-round a while back re installing proverbial Sumo Springs to further help out? I think you convinced me to do this which I finally ordered and installed DIY (of course, in the rain...when else right? Was sunny and clear when I started...lol). To get to the point...I honestly haven't heard a peep
since then, esp. when backing it down over the convolutions. All four Sumo's CERTAINLY set the suspension
up for the highway on the rig and I feel actually tunes it up a bit! The ride is much more stable, esp. when in a dirty air situation with the semi's, etc., and I want to thank
you for the encouragement. And, no peeps nor pops! Did you ever put Sumo's on?
Maybe the RoadMaster brand AND Sumo's are made for each other...dunno? I hope
you win! When it's man vs. machine...man ALWAYS wins! Cheers! -PB
Sorry for the late reply Pixelbum1, I was in an area overseas with "No Connectivity." Yes, we both went round and round on the research-bought shocks and Sumo's (rear only) and will install when I return at the EOM. Nice to hear they are working and the RV is more stable. Hope they will do the same for my 2013 Solera "S" as well. Thank You for your update.

CaptDan
CaptDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #398

I put sumos all around along with a helwig and bilsteins on rear, made an enormous difference on my 2013 s
Old 03-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #399

Doug, did you install the Solo or Maxim type on the rear?
Old 03-10-2016, 07:14 PM   #400

I put the solo , black ones that fit into the bump stop holder.