Old 07-19-2014, 04:33 PM   #211

Popping Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
No popping on mine.
Did you install washers on the end arms of the bar?

Solera 24R - 2014
Life is Good - All is Well
richhop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 04:34 PM   #212

Popping Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
X2. No popping.
Did you install washers on the end arms?

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #213

Popping Noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintboy View Post
Just installed my Hellwig sway bar today. I like the ride a lot better. I did notice one thing odd though- the end link brackets seemed too big for the bar. The stock bar measured 4 cm wide while the Hellwig bushings measured 3.5cm leaving a gap in the end links.

I ended up using washers on the sides of the bushings to take up the extra space. Has anyone else had this experience? Anything to be concerned about? Should I take the washers out? I noticed a pop when I pulled in the driveway, but everything looked normal when I looked at it.
Trying to sort out this issue of popping noise that some of us are having. You installed washers to fill the gap on the end arms. Have you experienced any popping noises in the suspension?

richhop

Solera 24R - 2014
Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #214
Needs Help

I put two washers on each end arm. 4000 miles and some rough running on the AlCan and it's quiet.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #215
2012 Solera

As stated earlier in this thread I installed washers to fill the gaps - two on each bracket. No popping in several thousand miles, including across the country.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #216

I'm having no popping or squeaking at all after doing the install just before the trip I'm currently on. I did not add washers as some have mentioned to "fix" the gap problem -- though that seemed like a smarter fix than I elected to fix the gap issue. I did, however, crimp the hanger to minimize the gap as opposed to filling the space with washers.

I did add more lock-tite and lube than was provided by Hellwig based on input from others.

I'm writing this from Yellowstone about 1000 miles from home. We had 40 knot crosswinds across the Mojave Desert. Though we got rocked, it was a FAR better ride than in the same conditions before. I didn't get nearly the "dirty air" rock from trucks I experienced before, either. Cornering has improved significantly

But, thankfully, "no popping or squeaking".

I know this is a stupid question, but has anyone actually asked Hellwig what they attribute the noise to? Well all have pretty much the same vehicle and I'm assuming the actual sway bar and hardware used in installation is pretty much "cookie-cutter". The popping issue seem to stem from how their product is installed. I think Hellwig should/does have the answer to the $175 question! (They just need to put it in the installation instructions!
Old 07-19-2014, 09:16 PM   #217

Hellwig seems to be the preferred sway bar for the Solera 24R and it is much less expensive than the one Roadmaster makes for the same application. Is there anyone who has installed the Roadmaster model who finds it superior to the Hellwig model? I have another question. Has anyone who installed the Hellwig rear sway bar also have the rear stabilizer jacks? If so, are there any special installation issues because of the jacks?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM   #218

Had hellwig sway bar installed 7/8 took a 400 mile trip. No washers installed. No popping. I also have rear jacks. Not in the way to install sway bar.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:02 PM   #219

I just installed a hellwig sway bar on my 012 Solera. I put a couple of washers on the ends. It seemed to make a real tight fit with the bracket. It eliminates any play between the bar and the bracket. In a couple of weeks I will be embarking on a coast to coast trip. I will keep a ear out for any popping noises, but I am happy with the install and don't expect any problems.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #220

I put two washers in at each bracket over 3,000 miles ago and typically travel on beat up roads. I had the popping noise right off the start. I checked the bolts and their torqued to spec. Some times Its so loud that we can feel it through our feet. I just returned from a 2,500 mile trip and I plan on taking the Helwig bar off to check everything out. If I see any wear, I will let everyone know.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums