Old 02-05-2015, 01:14 PM   #241
GM

Unfortunately not. We only brought one in to test.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:50 PM   #242

A bit of an update...

I put a call in to the tech support people (well, Kevin) at Hellwig. I told him what I thought was going on and also that some other owners seemed to have solved the problem by torquing the u-strap bolts to 65 ft-lbs.

When I mentioned the 65 ft-lbs he immediately put me on hold and went off to talk with an engineer. When he came back on, he said that engineering had told him that 50 ft-lbs was ok, but that they recommended against higher torque numbers. Your mileage may vary.

I also told Kevin about an assembly compound used for some carbon to carbon interfaces on bicycles. This material is essentially a grease with a gritty material imbedded in it. The grit grips both sides of an interface (like a seat post in a seat tube) so that they can be held in place with lower torque values. Kevin seemed to think this was an ok thing to do - I've got some of the compound - here's a link to it:
But I'm also thinking of just mixing some fine sand into a grease and applying it lightly between the u-straps and the mounting area on the frame - I'm thinking sand would be more aggressive than what's used on bicycles. (The grease is just to hold the sand in place while the bolts are being torqued.) I'm hoping that one of the grit approaches will allow me to hold those straps in place while only torquing the bolts to 50 ft-lbs.

Anyway, I haven't done any of this yet, but will report back when I do.

Dave

Old 02-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #243

Dave, I would think the gritty grease is a graphite/carbon based compound. I have used something like that in the past. Maybe even a Molybdenum grease. Sand might do more damage than you would expect and I would shy away from that.

Just my thoughts.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #244

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Dave, I would think the gritty grease is a graphite/carbon based compound. I have used something like that in the past. Maybe even a Molybdenum grease. Sand might do more damage than you would expect and I would shy away from that.

Just my thoughts.
Point taken ... I think I'll try the assembly compound alone before I try anything more aggressive.

Thanks

Dave
Old 02-06-2015, 11:48 AM   #245

Dave---
Keep this one going as I'm getting ready to order a Hellwig torque bar for my 2011 24S and don't want to have the same problemo? Good luck with it and thanks for forging ahead. I also agree with Mikegjax re mixing in the sand...would do long-term damage that you couldn't reverse. PB
Old 02-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #246

I have not installed the sway bar to date but plan on it soon. I do know that when you torque a bolt you don't want any grease on the threads. Lock tight is OK, but not a lubricant. Oil or grease will have an adverse effort on torque values. The bushings on the other hand should be lubricated if called for in the installation instructions.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:55 PM   #247

We've had ours on for 1 1/2 years now and notice no noises from it
Had torc checked recently and no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #248

OK, I finally did it! Ordered the sway bar today. Thanks to all of your positive comments I am going to give it a go, even though I am not unsatisfied with the current handling.

Should be here next Friday and I will install myself.

BTW I was interested in reading installation instructions for the MB Sprinter model. Can't find them online. Does anyone know if the instructions call for lubing the bushing? Just curious.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #249

Hellwig DIY!

Good luck to you then! Come back on and then let us know what you think. I'm trying to decide between the bar vs. the SuperSprings. BTW, I have the .pdf install intructions sitting on my desktop and think I downloaded it from the Hellwig.com site? Pretty simple steps actually and don't remember seeing anything about "lubbing" but will look again. Or, if you wish, I'd be happy to send it to you via email...just let me know.

Personally, I'd let the DW do the install while you are inside watching hoops on TV with a cold one?

Good luck and keep us posted! The USAF guy, aka PB
Old 02-09-2015, 01:26 PM   #250

Oops...just read the instr's on the bar and you DO lube. Quote..."Lubricate and install D-shaped bushings". Anyway, just let me know if you need the .pdf and will send tho they should be including the same with the bar, plus warranty. Simple steps tho, for sure!
-PB