Old 02-17-2015, 08:06 PM   #271

Special note to HKreck (could not "after-thought" this within the same "Thanks"-reply box...so thus, this...) I plan to do all this myself. Mikegjax just did his within two hrs. I believe. I personally know, from researching many, that the Sumo's are a piece of cake, excepting that you have to lift each corner of the frame and get the wheels off the ground a bit. This will clear the way to pry the bump stops out and replace with those wunnerful Sumo's. I think the Sumo's are a little bit of an investment tho...check the prices. People swear by them tho as the final solution coupled with the Hellwig to the rock-and-roll problem. Anyway, keep all these threads archived as they will be great reference for you down the pike should you get inspired to do yourself. Or, really, any RV shop can easily do them too for about an hr's rate? My best...PB

PS: The Koni's are the coup des grace maybe (overkill?) and shud only be put on if the factory shocks are shot...then do that upgrade!

Old 02-17-2015, 08:21 PM   #272

I agree that the job looks easy enough to do on one's own. I was shopping on line last night for the Sumo's I found some on ebay for the sprinter around $180. I have been wondering if the big foot jacks on the rear of my coach would do the job of lifting the tires off the ground enough? I went on their web site and they have instructions for installation which looks pretty simple. Going to think about it some more and study it. Not sure I'm ready to put new shocks on yet have to think on that too. Happy Traveling.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #273

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I have been wondering if the big foot jacks on the rear of my coach would do the job of lifting the tires off the ground enough?
I don't think the big foot jacks are intended to lift anything all the way off the ground. And, even if they were able to lift the wheels off, I wouldn't feel at all comfortable being under the coach while they were holding it up.

Were I going to do the Sumo Springs, I'd find a way to jack the vehicle up (maybe the bottle jack?) and then I'd put a jack stand under the corner to hold it.

Dave
Old 02-17-2015, 09:45 PM   #274

I was thinking more along the lines of using the jacks to get it up enough so as to put some blocks or stands under the frame then retract the jacks? I wouldn't want to work under the coach with just the jacks holding it up either.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:16 AM   #275

Quote:
I agree that the job looks easy enough to do on one's own. I was shopping on line last night for the Sumo's I found some on ebay for the sprinter around $180. I have been wondering if the big foot jacks on the rear of my coach would do the job of lifting the tires off the ground enough? I went on their web site and they have instructions for installation which looks pretty simple. Going to think about it some more and study it. Not sure I'm ready to put new shocks on yet have to think on that too. Happy Traveling.
Hmmmm...I really don't think that the Big Foot jacks are meant to lift "that" kind of weight...merely stabilize the unit when parked!? Maybe Mr. Clemens from FR could weigh in on this one? Fair question but I wouldn't take that chance.
We are talking about 11,000 lbs., or so, overall which probably breaks down
to around 5-6K(average of the mean...where is my sliderule?) per each wheel corner? I have a 20-ton bottle jack which I KNOW will huff it up at any of the jacking points on the frame near each wheel. Make sure you underpin it with a heavy-duty jack stand or two also. I've seen seals BLOW OUT from bottle jacks as they were being used...horrors!

Search the Sumo threads on FR btw. Everyone seems to say that they are easy to install after ripping off the original bump stops. Again, you gotta get the wheels off the grnd so the axle clears the Sumo's which are pretty much in contact with the axle(reference the pic I posted) once dropped down again. Do you have a career tech school nearby with an auto shop...they could easily handle something like this w/o the usual proshop rates? Let me know what you decide on all this. However a pro $hop should handle this easy in one hr including the lifting?
Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM   #276

I was looking under my MH today and I don't understand the bump stops? I mean their just there they don't make contact with anything that I can see as their about 3-4" above the axle. Can someone explain to me how their suppose to work?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030098.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	69878   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030099.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	69879  
Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #277

They prevent the axel from going up too high into the under carriage when you go over a bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 02-18-2015, 06:35 PM   #278

Quote:
I was looking under my MH today and I don't understand the bump stops? I mean their just there they don't make contact with anything that I can see as their about 3-4" above the axle. Can someone explain to me how their suppose to work?
Hey Glenn-
Mr. Sandiegodoug answered it right after your post. It prevents that jarring metal-to-metal thing (axle-up-into-the-undercarriage "bang") when you hit a really big one. Prevents undue damage to the same also. Since you sent the neat pics you'll note that there is a 2-3" gap between the axle AND the bump stop.

SUMO's are much deeper(taller) then the current BS's that you and I have as stock equipt...that's the beauty of them plus the special hi-density medium that they are made out of. That's why you first have to raise a corner of the frame to let the axle drop down to the stops which will allow you room to get the taller SUMO's into place. I've read that you simply "pry" (crowbar or heavy flathead screwdriver?) the originals out and squeeze in the upgrade Sumo replacements into the bracket holder...that's all. Follow dir's carefully!

You'll note that the Sumo's make contact and always ride on the axle full-time once
they are all in place. They "supposedly" also increase your weight load limits of the vehicle (but I WOULDN'T push that one!) in addition to really damping the up-and-down oscillations when running convoluted roads including some of the rock-and-roll stuff that the Hellwig does.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:15 PM   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Hey Glenn-
Mr. Sandiegodoug answered it right after your post. It prevents that jarring metal-to-metal thing (axle-up-into-the-undercarriage "bang") when you hit a really big one. Prevents undue damage to the same also. Since you sent the neat pics you'll note that there is a 2-3" gap between the axle AND the bump stop.

SUMO's are much deeper(taller) then the current BS's that you and I have as stock equipt...that's the beauty of them plus the special hi-density medium that they are made out of. That's why you first have to raise a corner of the frame to let the axle drop down to the stops which will allow you room to get the taller SUMO's into place. I've read that you simply "pry" (crowbar or heavy flathead screwdriver?) the originals out and squeeze in the upgrade Sumo replacements into the bracket holder...that's all. Follow dir's carefully!

You'll note that the Sumo's make contact and always ride on the axle full-time once
they are all in place. They "supposedly" also increase your weight load limits of the vehicle (but I WOULDN'T push that one!) in addition to really damping the up-and-down oscillations when running convoluted roads including some of the rock-and-roll stuff that the Hellwig does.

This is what I'm talking about:

Click image for larger version

Name:	SumoSpring.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	69883
Old 02-18-2015, 07:44 PM   #280

I was thinking about an air bag system in place of the bump stops
I understand you can pump them up to you liking

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums