Old 02-18-2015, 06:51 PM   #281

I understand what your talking about now (I Googled it). It would have to take quite a big one I'd think for the bumper's that are on it now to serve a purpose (maybe not)? Still looking into it a little more before make a decision. Thanks for the info.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 05:11 AM   #282

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I understand what your talking about now (I Googled it). It would have to take quite a big one I'd think for the bumper's that are on it now to serve a purpose (maybe not)? Still looking into it a little more before make a decision. Thanks for the info.
I agree with Hkreck, If it provides more stabilization-I am "IN," but looking at the price it is kind of high. Will do some more research and decide as I return from overseas and get my 2013 Solera "S" ready next month to travel. Thanks for the info.
Respectfully,
CaptDan

Old 02-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #283

Talked to Hellwig tech support today concerning the installation of washers on each side of the link arm bushings. According to them it is perfectly fine.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Talked to Hellwig tech support today concerning the installation of washers on each side of the link arm bushings. According to them it is perfectly fine.
Cool. So how thick were the washers you used? It looked to me like the Hellwig bushing was about 5 mm thinner than the MB bushing, but I didn't get a really accurate reading. I found some stainless 3 mm thick M12 fender washers at my local Ace...

Dave
Old 02-19-2015, 01:47 PM   #285

The washers I used were 3mm. I put one on each side. Snug fit, but a little gentle persuasion got er done. I couldn't find stainless so I painted them.
Like you I really like to use stainless hardware when possible/available. The stainless is worth the little extra cost as far as I am concerned..
Old 02-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #286

Took the RV out for the after sway bar installation test run. Heard the dreaded clunk on the first short run. I was making some fairly aggressive 90 degree turns when they occurred. Looked things over and took her out again.

30 miles of back roads, lots of turns and bumps with no clunk. Took her back through the same turns where I first heard the noise and no more clunk.

I did notice that the bar had shifted slightly in the "U" brackets from side to side finding its own center.

Maybe all it takes is a little breaking in for the bushing to settle down.

I am well pleased with the performance of the bar. Much more stable in turns and on uneven roads. Well worth the investment.

Being passed by large trucks is yet to be determined.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #287

HIGHLY recommend the stronger Hellwig Sway bar. Our 2014 Solera would oscillate like a small boat rocking in 10 foot seas after turning out of a sloped driveway. If any items were inadvertently left on the counter or table, they'd fly across the coach. The new sway bar greatly reduced the rocking. But wait, there's more ... after installing the bar, the new Bilstein shocks arrived. Installing those improved handling even more. The OEM shocks with only 6,000 miles the were easily compressed by hand. Not so the Bilsteins. Any rocking is damped almost immediately to one or two cycles. To experiment we left items on the table ... after several miles they remained where we put them ... no sliding or flying. All in all, its much more fun to drive confidently.

A Solera without the Hellwig and Bilsteins is like a hot dog without mustard, onions or relish.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:33 AM   #288

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiataHoarder View Post
HIGHLY recommend the stronger Hellwig Sway bar. Our 2014 Solera would oscillate like a small boat rocking in 10 foot seas after turning out of a sloped driveway. If any items were inadvertently left on the counter or table, they'd fly across the coach. The new sway bar greatly reduced the rocking. But wait, there's more ... after installing the bar, the new Bilstein shocks arrived. Installing those improved handling even more. The OEM shocks with only 6,000 miles the were easily compressed by hand. Not so the Bilsteins. Any rocking is damped almost immediately to one or two cycles. To experiment we left items on the table ... after several miles they remained where we put them ... no sliding or flying. All in all, its much more fun to drive confidently.

A Solera without the Hellwig and Bilsteins is like a hot dog without mustard, onions or relish.
Can I ask what make model Bilsteins, and did you swap out all four. Thanks. Were they the same duty shock as well.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #289

SumoSprings Install

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfish View Post
Here is what suspension upgrades look like on a 2013 Mercedes Benz Sprinter 3500 motorhome:

Koni shock absorber 822588
Hellwig anti-sway bar 7254
SumoSpring SSR-335
Did the SumoSprings front and rear and my wife said she thought it made more of a difference then the sway bar did. A lot less cost then the shocks.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #290

Good post, MiataHoarder! �� Our sway bar is being installed Monday morning. But wait, now you tell us we must buy something more!? Oh, boy - maybe we should not have retired! $$$

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote