Old 07-09-2015, 02:11 PM   #361
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I was an "early adopter" I think - installed my Hellwig in July 2013. I had been quite satisfied - initially received bolts with incorrect thread, but Hellwig sent the correct bolts fairly quickly. I did not have a clunking issue - after reading about the issue here, I did notice an occasional noise, but was never sure it was sway bar related.
However - when I took my vehicle in last week for alignment, wheel balance and rotation the shop called me to tell me one of the sway bar brackets was broken and the sway bar was essentially hanging loose on one side - doing nothing. I know on our recent trip to Banff, Glacier NP and Rocky Mountain NP we encountered some VERY bad road construction bypasses in Montana - not sure if this is where the failure occurred. I had the service place re-install the original sway bar and brackets (I kept everything) and have a message in to Hellwig - awaiting their response.
Update - Hellwig immediately sent a complete installation kit (two brackets, four bolts, grease, lock tight). Plan to take one trip with the old bar before re-installing to better judge the effect of the Hellwig.

JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #362

When I installed my Hellwig 7254 (Amazon Prime 149.00 with free shipping) in my 2015 Solera 24R with rear leveling jacks I putt my 6" ramps under the jacket feet with a 12" X 1" X 12" pice of oak plywood on top of the ramps. I lifted the rear of the Solera with the jacks until the rear tires just touched the ground. Now I had plenty of room to work and move around on my creeper.

Removed the stock bar. Put grease on the rubble bushings and installed on the bar using the stock bar bushings as a guide.

Tied the left end of the sway bar up with a small rope. Placed the U strap on the right side of the axle and installed the lower bolt a few threads. Repeat on right side. Put passenger side (right side) bolt in the end of the sway bar, next installed the top bolts on the U straps on the axle and snugged all U strap axle bolts. Next I used my ratcheting tie down strap to move the left side sway bar end into position to install the bolt and nut. I wrapped the strap around the frame and the sway bar end (make a loop around the sway bar end so the stap won't slip) then ratcheted the end into position to installed the bolt and nut. Torqued the all installed bolts to Hellwigs specs.

Done. Took about 1 hour to install.

Old 07-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #363

I just returned from a quick trip up to windy Wyoming. The Hellwig anti-sway bar and Bilstein shocks made a world of difference in the handling! I did not install them myself. No noises from the Hellwig. I'm happy with the upgrade.
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:00 PM   #364

I also had the big bang until I slowly turned left over some large ruts that made my whole rig sway side to side one time. NO MORE BANGS!!!!! I love how well my Solera handles now. It is no longer like driving a giant marshmallow down the road swaying side to side. The Solera handles as well as my Landcruiser now. I love this mod.
Old 07-19-2015, 03:21 PM   #365

I installed my sway bar about a year ago. After initial torque of the bolts, I drove it about 20 miles and checked the torque. I checked it again after a couple hundred miles. No retightening required either time.

We're about to do a trip so checked it again today. Found the drivers side bolt was just slightly loose. Maybe 5 degrees is all. Perhaps within the tolerance of the torque wrench.

On the passenger side, I found it to be tight but the exhaust was contacting the end of the bolt. I don't think i overlooked that on install so perhaps the pipe has shifted slightly. Couldn't get in there with a dremel so had to hack saw it off. a good 1/2 inch clearance now.

Interesting the reports of banging sounds. I have heard nothing from mine and wonder what could cause it. There sure doesn't look like there is anything for it to hit. All I can think of is inadequate lubrication on the mount bushings.
Old 07-22-2015, 12:28 PM   #366

Sorry if I missed it

Has the Helwig Sway Bars been added as standard to the Solera and/or Forester? From reading the post it reads as a must have. We pick up our 2016 2401W MBS in less than 2 weeks. Thank you
Old 07-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bums View Post
Has the Helwig Sway Bars been added as standard to the Solera and/or Forester? From reading the post it reads as a must have. We pick up our 2016 2401W MBS in less than 2 weeks. Thank you

It's not standard. It's a rolling change. Our 24R delivery 6/6 had it so I think your W will probably have it also.
Old 07-22-2015, 02:56 PM   #368
GM

Good call DBT. While they're getting installed, they are not standard, no one was charged for them and it is not listed in the brochure. So if it comes and it is not there, warranty will not be covering it. Consider it a happy bonus if its there. Now once they add it to the brochure, there is no going back...but currently its not listed.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #369

Hope it is there....

communicated with our dealership early today and they confirmed that ours to be delivered on the 3rd (to the dealership) has it installed. They have been stand up folks thus far.....
Old 08-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #370

Like many owner's, I've had issues with clunking and popping noises after installing the Hellwig sway bar. When it was originally installed it didn't make any noises. After about 1500 miles, mine started to "clunk" when exiting a driveway or going around a slow corner. I removed sway bar and greased the bushing's but after about 1500 miles, clunking sound returned. I contacted Hellwig and was told sway bar was probably moving side to side. They seem to have a fix as they sent me 2 round pieces to install on the inside of sway bar where it attaches to axle. I've attached pictures and will report back when I've had a chance to drive Solera. Sorry, pictures are sideways. Yellow on shock should be at bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0519.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	85588   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0521.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	85589   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpg
Views:	135