Old 08-13-2015, 09:10 PM   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecramer View Post
Like many owner's, I've had issues with clunking and popping noises after installing the Hellwig sway bar. When it was originally installed it didn't make any noises. After about 1500 miles, mine started to "clunk" when exiting a driveway or going around a slow corner. I removed sway bar and greased the bushing's but after about 1500 miles, clunking sound returned. I contacted Hellwig and was told sway bar was probably moving side to side. They seem to have a fix as they sent me 2 round pieces to install on the inside of sway bar where it attaches to axle. I've attached pictures and will report back when I've had a chance to drive Solera. Sorry, pictures are sideways. Yellow on shock should be at bottom.
I just pulled my Hellwig sway bar, re-greased and reinstalled it. I have not had a chance to drive our Solera yet to see if that fixed the dreaded clunk noise problem. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that your re-greasing fixed the problem only for a while. Did you contact Hellwig directly? How cooperative are they with getting the "fix" parts out to you? Let all of us fellow clunk sufferers know if it fixed it. Thanks

Old 08-14-2015, 06:54 AM   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsquid View Post
I just pulled my Hellwig sway bar, re-greased and reinstalled it. I have not had a chance to drive our Solera yet to see if that fixed the dreaded clunk noise problem. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that your re-greasing fixed the problem only for a while. Did you contact Hellwig directly? How cooperative are they with getting the "fix" parts out to you? Let all of us fellow clunk sufferers know if it fixed it. Thanks
X2-Phone number and POC at Hellwig would "Help!" Thanks.
"Happy Travels"

Old 08-14-2015, 07:36 AM   #373

I spoke with tech support. I believe his name is Keith. Phone number is 800-435-5944. They were great! I told him the issue I was having and he went about explaining what the problem may be (sway bar sliding side to side). As our plans are to leave this Saturday for a trip, he sent them 2 day air at no cost to me! I'd call that great service! Now hopefully it's the fix we all need.
Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #374
Northern Most Member ?

see this link for fix
Hellwig Sway Bar Clunk/Noise Problem Identified And Fixed FINALLY!
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 06:56 PM   #375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman Taylor View Post
Just wondering if you have had any Popping noises lately on you Hellwig 7254 Sway Bar after your fix? Thanks.
Old 09-20-2015, 10:18 AM   #376
Northern Most Member ?

It has been functioning as smooth as silk.....no noises of any kind
Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:44 PM   #377

I can relate to the sway on the road. My biggest problem is going over dips or driveways and the motor home rocks back and forth for about 10 seconds and makes it hard to drive until it settles down. Help!!!
Old 09-22-2015, 12:29 AM   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul huyck View Post
I can relate to the sway on the road. My biggest problem is going over dips or driveways and the motor home rocks back and forth for about 10 seconds and makes it hard to drive until it settles down. Help!!!
A Hellwig sway bar and SumoSprings will make your day.

Do you have an MBS?

(Sold the Vibe 6506)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #379

Funny you should ask. I have driven my 2015 24R for about 4000 miles without a problem on 3 separate trips in the Northwestern US without any problems or popping. I torqued the 4 bolts holding the sway bar to the differential again after approximately 2000 miles.

Last week I went to the CA coast and drove up Hwy 1 for approximately 300 miles and started to hear the popping sound again. When I got home I discovered that one of the 4 bolts (drivers side lower bolt) was missing. The U clamp was bent but the rubber D bushing was still the same.

I sent an email to Hellwig and they responded by phone, email & sending me a new set of (4) bolts (same bolts that were with the original installation package) and 2 new U clamps (same as original)(I was hoping that they would send the mounting hardware they are currently using on the new MBZ deliveries.) They also sent new instructions that require torquing the U clamp bolts to 75 foot-lbs along with the end connections to the frame.

I installed 1 new bolt after bending the existing U clamp back into place with a channel lock wrench and a large vise grip wrench. I was surprised that the threads in the deferential housing plate were not damaged. I Torqued all 4 bolts on the differential to 75 ft-lbs along with the connections at the ends of the sway bar.

Has anyone seen a newly delivered Hellwig equipped MBZ Sprinter 3500? Did MBZ use their clamp with a new D rubber bushing sized to fit in the larger Hellwig sway bar diameter and OEM MBZ U clamp?
Old 09-25-2015, 12:11 AM   #380
2012 Solera

See my post #358 above - broken bracket. I don't think straightening and re-attaching the bracket is a good idea. Believe you should probably replace the bracket.

JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote