Old 08-24-2015, 07:59 PM   #1
Northern Most Member ?

Hellwig Sway Bar Clunk/Noise Problem Identified And Fixed FINALLY!

After throughly delving into my Hellwig sway bar clunk/bang noise problem I have finally figured out what the problem is and how to fix it.

The Problem:
Its not a side to side movement of the bar that causes the noise, it has to do with the ends of the bar itself.

It turns out the OEM Mercedes sway bar bushings that connect to the downlinks from the frame are sized to use a 1/2" bolt (or metric equivalent). The downlink holes in forked area are also matched to this 1/2" size.

The Hellwig bar ends are larger at 9/16" and this difference in size causes the snap, pop or clunk.

If you use the OEM 1/2" Mercedes bolts and torque them to 40 ft. pounds of torque as per Hellwig instructions, as you drive on uneven ground the bar ends are forced up and down and this movement of the smaller bolt (1/2") inside the larger diameter Hellwig sway bar bushings (9/16") cause the noise especially... under the tight clamping torque.

The Fix:
I drilled out the down link bolt holes to 9/16" slipped new 9/16" bolts through the downlink holes and Hellwig sway bar ends and viola! no more noise.

I also filled the gaps between of the sway bar ends and the downlink forks with washers. I then used nylock nuts on the bolt ends and only tighten them so they were sung only. No torque.

Not pinching the forks tight against the bushings allows for a smooth movement of the entire unit. Not using washers and pinching the forks sides against the sway bar ends and then torquing the nuts to 40 ft pds. just exacerbates the noise problem IMO. When the bolt does move up and down its does it with a snap thus the noise.

Hellwig needs to either change the inside diameter of the sway bar bushings to match the OEM Mercedes downlink bolt diameter or describe drilling out the downlinks and then provide the correct size bolts within the kit.

In the mean time heres the remedy to alleviating your sway bar noise.

Hope this helps.....it certainly cured my noise problem.

Toolman Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:04 PM   #2

Toolman you should forward your findings to customerservice@hellwigproducts.com

Old 08-24-2015, 09:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolman Taylor View Post
After throughly delving into my Hellwig sway bar clunk/bang noise problem I have finally figured out what the problem is and how to fix it.

The Problem:
Its not a side to side movement of the bar that causes the noise, it has to do with the ends of the bar itself.

It turns out the OEM Mercedes sway bar bushings that connect to the downlinks from the frame are sized to use a 1/2" bolt (or metric equivalent). The downlink holes in forked area are also matched to this 1/2" size.

The Hellwig bar ends are larger at 9/16" and this difference in size causes the snap, pop or clunk.

If you use the OEM 1/2" Mercedes bolts and torque them to 40 ft. pounds of torque as per Hellwig instructions, as you drive on uneven ground the bar ends are forced up and down and this movement of the smaller bolt (1/2") inside the larger diameter Hellwig sway bar bushings (9/16") cause the noise especially... under the tight clamping torque.

The Fix:
I drilled out the down link bolt holes to 9/16" slipped new 9/16" bolts through the downlink holes and Hellwig sway bar ends and viola! no more noise.

I also filled the gaps between of the sway bar ends and the downlink forks with washers. I then used nylock nuts on the bolt ends and only tighten them so they were sung only. No torque.

Not pinching the forks tight against the bushings allows for a smooth movement of the entire unit. Not using washers and pinching the forks sides against the sway bar ends and then torquing the nuts to 40 ft pds. just exacerbates the noise problem IMO. When the bolt does move up and down its does it with a snap thus the noise.

Hellwig needs to either change the inside diameter of the sway bar bushings to match the OEM Mercedes downlink bolt diameter or describe drilling out the downlinks and then provide the correct size bolts within the kit.

In the mean time heres the remedy to alleviating your sway bar noise.

Hope this helps.....it certainly cured my noise problem.
I installed the 7254 a couple months ago. Downlink bolts were supplied with it. I did not use the OEM bolts. The OEM bolts are sitting over in the corner of my shop with the OEM sway bar.
Maybe this has already been addressed by Hellwig. I have had no popping noise after installation.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:45 PM   #4

My 2016 Solera came from the factory with the Hellwig sway bar installed. I have not noticed any popping noise.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #5

Mine came with the bar also and was clunking. The reason was FR put the one bolt it the axle crooked and cross threaded and it was tight to the axle. The bracket was still about an 1/8" away. Can't see how this was over looked installing. Had to remove and tap and reinstall with new bolts supplied by Hellwig.
Old 08-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #6

X2 with barnbnb.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

I love how Joshua never comes on these and says "we are aware of that problem and working to eliminate it in production".

And now I know what else to look forward to being wrong on my Forester. Great.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:59 PM   #8

Snap, crackle and pop?

NOW I know why I have a ROADMASTER anti-sway bar on my Solera!!

None of THAT nonsense at all...
Old 08-25-2015, 10:15 PM   #9
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfritts View Post
I love how Joshua never comes on these and says "we are aware of that problem and working to eliminate it in production".

Aware of what problem? Most of the Hellwig's were dealer or customer installed, they just started installing at the factory fairly recently. One post above says they have a factory installed bar and no issues. One below says cross threaded. The clunking seems to be a small percentage...certainly not the majority.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:39 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfritts View Post

Comments like that will keep reps from participating. Be thankful they are here at all.

Tags
sway