Old 02-20-2015, 10:20 AM   #1

HELLWIG Sway Bar/Void MBS Warranty?

We have found a local Hellwig dealer who can install a rear 7254 sway bar on our 2014 Forester MBS for about $400. I have seen some talk about this possibly voiding the warranty on the chassis. Any thoughts about this issue?

Thanks in advance.....

2015 Forester MBS 2401R
No Toad
FIVE2MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:27 AM   #2

Well if it does their going to have a lot of angry people from this form on their case.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:37 AM   #3

You have protection under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act provided the sway bar was designed for the application. Under the Act, you cannot be denied a warranty claim for just the presence of any aftermarket component. Any denial puts the burden of proving the aftermarket component designed for the application resulted in damage/failure on the warrantor.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #4

I want to be a fly on the wall when you tell "that little tidbit" to a Benz dealer! I'm not quite sure, but I believe your doctrine cite, deals with LKQ parts. Referred to as "Like Kind Quality". The Hellwig is much beefier, which no doubt reduces sway as reported by so many posters. But, in reducing sway it would appear the stress loads are torsionally transferred to the axle, though the links, thus reducing sway.

My guess would be if your MB suspension expierences any failure in the area that the sway bar effects, MB might raise an arguement. Only user installation and outcomes will determine that.

Oh, and as for the burden of proof relies with MB, good luck telling a dealer that one, when your MH is laid up during camping season, and your getting into finger pointing.

Until somebody runs into a problem, I say go with it.
Old 02-20-2015, 11:30 AM   #5

Installation cost seems a little high IMO. Say $170.00 for the bar and $230.00 labor. Maybe I am just not in touch with today's labor rates.

BTW, keep the old bar in case you need to put it back on .
Old 02-20-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Now thats thinking on your feet!
Old 02-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #7

Hellwig Sway Bar Install cost

Just this week I had a local shop install a Hellwig sway bar on my Solera. The bar was about $150 on Amazon with 2 day prime shipping and the shop took 1/2 hour to install at $90/hr - so total cost just under $200.

They also installed rear Koni's and front Koni struts at the same time - rears took 1/2 hr and fronts took 2 hours (+ fronts require a front end alignment at extra charge.) I ordered the Koni's from Eurocampers for $168.48 ea for rear FSD shocks and $206.08 ea for struts. S/H came to $44.53. They may be a little cheaper someplace else but Eurocampers does a lot of Sprinter based stuff and I like dealing with them.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:13 PM   #8

Jmaley, that sounds much more reasonable. It is not a difficult job at all (sway bar).
Old 02-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #9

Like Mikegjax says it not hard at all, probably the hardest part is holding it up in place if your working alone, but it can be done. Heck of I can do it anyone can. :-}
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:43 PM   #10

If you don't have the tools rather than buying them then finding a shop like jmaley did is the way to go.

Tags
sway, warranty