Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 07:00 AM   #21
Site Team - Lou

I agree, scratch and dent might be OK local, but delam or collision damage to my rig will be going to the factory. I will pay to have the real experts work on my investment in fun.

See too many unqualified "dealer techs" get big money making things worse.
One of the reasons I like hanging out here; I get an education for free so I know what I can fix and when it needs to go to a professional who is certified.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:23 AM   #22

you mean like the ones who screwed it up in the first place,

not trying to be rude here,

just saying, there are people out there with real knowledge and pride who can do paint, the definition of a expert: is a non existent drip under pressure, we all can do things, and some to a excellent degree, but to claim to be a expert is disingenuous to say the least, all I can say is I could do my job well, and did it for 33 years, and to the customers satisfaction, and guaranty my work 100%, but by far an expert,

[QUOTE=Herk7769;835024]I agree, scratch and dent might be OK local, but delam or collision damage to my rig will be going to the factory. I will pay to have the real "experts" work on my investment in fun.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 AM   #23
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
you mean like the ones who screwed it up in the first place,

not trying to be rude here,
Indiana is a lot closer to me than driving to Modesto CA to find a great RV repair shop; but your point is well taken.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustym View Post
That paint issue is an easy fix and the whole thing does not need to go back to the dealer. Ok call me bubba then, I could fix that with the correct color codes.
Please explain how this paint issue is an easy fix. The paint appears to be peeling off the plastic molding. If it is a prep/primer issue, why would it be assumed that it will be the only area affected? The moldings are on both sides going from the wheel wells to the box. It isn't so simple as to sand the area & respray it. Plastic can't be sanded so in order to do a proper repair, molding will need stripped, then properly prepped & painted.

If that's needs to be done, then why wouldn't both sides need addressed?

Mr. Clemens stated it's not a body shop issue. Who paints cars, trucks or any vehicle that doesn't do body work? The paint can't be taken back to a larger area. The whole plastic piece will need stripped as this type of plastic certainly can't be sanded.

We have spent 10's of thousands of dollars on this unit. If the repairs aren't done correctly or we have problems after one year, who's problem will this be?

At this point I plan to take Solera to a couple of paint & body shops (of known quality) near me to get there opinions. I may have to pay for repairs myself knowing work will be done correctly. It's something I don't want to do but I'm the one who owns the Solera, not Forest River or dealership. In the end, I'm the one who will pay if repairs are substandard.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
Indiana is a lot closer to me than driving to Modesto CA to find a great RV repair shop; but your point is well taken.
And to me also (Southern Ohio). Im not debating that there's plenty of qualified people that can fix it. When dealership says he has a "truck painter" that does his paint repairs, it doesn't instill a lot of confidence in me. I wouldn't take a $20,000 car to be repaired by just anyone so I certainly won't take something that cost 3 to 4 times more to just anyone.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:14 AM   #26

That Trim piece was applied by (Mercedes Benz) if the paint (Lifted) from the Original Primer! MB must have a QC issue Also! Youroo!!
Old 04-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
That Trim piece was applied by (Mercedes Benz) if the paint (Lifted) from the Original Primer! MB must have a QC issue Also! Youroo!!
I don't believe there is an original primer. The trim piece appears to be made of similar material as front bumper. Appears to be lacking any sort of primer. Finish paint looks to be applied directly to trim piece. If you look at non painted Solera's, the trim piece isn't painted and matches front bumper.

If trim piece wasn't primed, then both sides will eventually develop same problem. This is one of the reason's I'm concerned with who does the repairs. Our trim pieces have painted stripes that cross trim piece.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 AM   #28
Commercial Member

So if a Mercedes gets some paint peeling it should go back to Germany?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 04-14-2015, 08:50 AM   #29

I think the manufacturer owes the man a new paint job, top to bottom, end to end, as an assurance that he gets the quality vehicle with the quality workmanship he paid for. Its not unreasonable on his part to suspect the rest of the paintwork when part has failed. JMHO. I've done the same with a car when the clearcoat failed.

The Bunkhouse! 2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Ford F-150 EB
Let's Ride
!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:05 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
So if a Mercedes gets some paint peeling it should go back to Germany?
Do you really think any car company in 2015 has paint peeling issues? I'm aware that in the 80's & 90's GM had an issue with some cars. That was peeling between primer & finish coats. I believe it was more a case when car companies were trying to meet EPA regulations.

I'm not suggesting my Solera needs to go back to Forest River. What I am saying is the trim pieces are the same as front bumper and they don't appear to be prepped or primed. The non painted Solera trim pieces match factory plastic bumper.

If you were to spend this amount of money on an rv, boat or car, would you have the confidence knowing a dealership has a truck painter doing repairs that involve what appears to be improper prep & priming of factory trim plastic pieces that probably weren't intended to be painted by Mercedes in the first place?
Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM   #31
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Are you saying a truck painter isn't qualified? Specifically his?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-14-2015, 09:11 AM   #32
Commercial Member

This is like arguing about politics...so I will exit stage left.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused. Please feel free to contact the service and support numbers listed on the main Forest River web page if you have any issue with the dealer warranty repair procedures.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
Old 04-14-2015, 09:12 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunkhouse View Post
I think the manufacturer owes the man a new paint job, top to bottom, end to end, as an assurance that he gets the quality vehicle with the quality workmanship he paid for. Its not unreasonable on his part to suspect the rest of the paintwork when part has failed. JMHO. I've done the same with a car when the clearcoat failed.
I'm not suggesting the whole motorhome needs repainted. What I am questioning as to weather the plastic trim pieces on both sides of motorhome should be refinished. They matched factory plastic bumper cover before they were painted.

Why would one area start peeling less than one month out of factory and the rest be fine? If the standard procedure is to paint directly over trim pieces or they were treated differently on ours, I certainly can't say. All I know is ours has this issue and it shouldn't be that way.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
This is like arguing about politics...so I will exit stage left.

We apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused. Please feel free to contact the service and support numbers listed on the main Forest River web page if you have any issue with the dealer warranty repair procedures.
This is nothing like arguing politics. I figured you'd bail before long. I did notice you avoided most of my question's. You've managed to answer all the comments from other poster's (i.e. Winnebago) but haven't addressed my concerns.

Again would you have faith in a dealership that states they have a truck painter do there repair work? The issues with our unit is a little more specialized.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:27 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Are you saying a truck painter isn't qualified? Specifically his?

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
If this question is directed at my response, no I'm not saying all truck painter's are not qualified.

My question is would you let a so described "truck painter" repair your $50,000 car or maybe even your $100,000 car.

Maybe the real issue is the dealership's lack of customer relation's.

Try telling a luxury car owner you have a truck painter repairing his damaged car!
Old 04-14-2015, 09:42 AM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecramer View Post
If this question is directed at my response, no I'm not saying all truck painter's are not qualified.

My question is would you let a so described "truck painter" repair your $50,000 car or maybe even your $100,000 car.

Try telling a luxury car owner you have a truck painter repairing his damaged car!
here's what my "truck painter" does.
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1429022471297.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	74230
And yes I'd let him paint my $100,000 dollar coach any day of the week!

Incase your wondering that's not a random pic, that's my truck.

Gimme a break.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-14-2015, 09:59 AM   #37

Quote:

Ignore Turbs…some people can argue with a fence post…case in point. After all it’s not his money or happiness involved here.
Old 04-14-2015, 10:06 AM   #38
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
This is nothing like arguing politics. I figured you'd bail before long. I did notice you avoided most of my question's. You've managed to answer all the comments from other poster's (i.e. Winnebago) but haven't addressed my concerns.

Again would you have faith in a dealership that states they have a truck painter do there repair work? The issues with our unit is a little more specialized.
So, by antagonizing one of the few folks who could actually help you, you have accomplished exactly ... what?
Old 04-14-2015, 10:12 AM   #39
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
So, by antagonizing one of the few folks who could actually help you, you have accomplished exactly ... what?
Couldn't agree more.
Brian would have been someone I'd want in my corner @ this point.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Couldn't agree more.
Brian would have been someone I'd want in my corner @ this point.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Blame it on the consumer? Sound business model.
Closed Thread