Closed Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #1

Help! Tell me this isn't normal!

So we ordered our 1st motorhome the last week of January. Our 2016 Solera 24S arrived around 3 weeks ago! After taking delivery, noticed a couple damaged interior areas (dent in range frame, damaged armrests). No big deal. Dealer ordered replacement range & armrests. Now the WTH moment. Went out to wash Solera today. While starting to wash driver's side, noticed what appeared to be a black speck on door. I proceeded to direct garden hose at it when it grew larger! Well to my shock, the paint on the plastic door molding is coming off! Now I've contacted the dealer. Was told they would have to get Forest River's "approval" to have it repaired. Now I would think it would be sent to a body shop but no, dealer has a guy that "paint's trucks" that will do repair. Is this a normal issue with a painted Solera motorhome or an unusual issue. I hope I didn't make a mistake not buying the View my wife liked a little more! If so, I'll never here the end of it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-13 11.01.03.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	74169   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-13 19.42.50.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	74170   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-04-13 19.42.30.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	245.9 KB
ID:	74171  

Old 04-13-2015, 08:59 PM   #2

Is yours a full body paint job or standard white?

Old 04-13-2015, 09:01 PM   #3

Full body paint.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:09 PM   #4

They have an "adhesion promoter" for painting plastic parts as part of the prep. What I've seen is a clear spray. Was there primer on the back side of the paint chips?
Old 04-13-2015, 09:11 PM   #5

Yes I see that now, didn't see the pictures at first. I haven't heard of any problem like this on the forum so far. I think I would see if Brian jumps in on it. I really don't think you made a mistake over the View I've had my Solera for 3 going on 4 years and we love it. Really like your paint design I sometimes wish I had gone with the full body paint.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #6

Can't say. Didn't think to look for paint chips as it appeared to kind of peel up. Looking at the black spot, it looks like they sprayed the finish directly over plastic. I had a painting & wallcovering company for over 35 years. Prep & priming are always the key to adhesion. My main concern is will the other plastic pieces develop the same problem. Thought getting the full body paint was the way to go to keep the new look. Now hope it doesn't turn out to be a huge mistake.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #7

We have the same paint scheme on our Solera for nearly two years without that problem. We did have one side repainted at the dealer last year after making contact with a deer and it's held up well.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecramer View Post
So we ordered our 1st motorhome the last week of January. Our 2016 Solera 24S arrived around 3 weeks ago! After taking delivery, noticed a couple damaged interior areas (dent in range frame, damaged armrests). No big deal. Dealer ordered replacement range & armrests. Now the WTH moment. Went out to wash Solera today. While starting to wash driver's side, noticed what appeared to be a black speck on door. I proceeded to direct garden hose at it when it grew larger! Well to my shock, the paint on the plastic door molding is coming off! Now I've contacted the dealer. Was told they would have to get Forest River's "approval" to have it repaired. Now I would think it would be sent to a body shop but no, dealer has a guy that "paint's trucks" that will do repair. Is this a normal issue with a painted Solera motorhome or an unusual issue. I hope I didn't make a mistake not buying the View my wife liked a little more! If so, I'll never here the end of it!
Hate to say it, but the wife may be right. Yes, the View was probably a little more expensive but for those dollars, you get reliable dealers that are held accountable by Winnebago, who will make it right. Guaranty, one call and you we have it under control, not with some “Bubba” who paints trucks on the side.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Yes I see that now, didn't see the pictures at first. I haven't heard of any problem like this on the forum so far. I think I would see if Brian jumps in on it. I really don't think you made a mistake over the View I've had my Solera for 3 going on 4 years and we love it. Really like your paint design I sometimes wish I had gone with the full body paint.
We've gone on 2 short trips with a 2 month trip through Seattle from southern Ohio planned for end of June. Couldn't be happier with Solera until this paint issue. Certainly don't want to have a long term paint problem. Not sure what could be done of other areas start to peel.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray View Post
Hate to say it, but the wife may be right. Yes, the View was probably a little more expensive but for those dollars, you get reliable dealers that are held accountable by Winnebago, who will make it right. Guaranty, one call and you we have it under control, not with some “Bubba” who paints trucks on the side.

Well hopefully it will get resolved. After coming from boats & motorcycles, was told I'd need to "lower" my quality expectations on motorhomes or rv's in general. Lowering my expectations is one thing. Paint peeling off is another!