Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-14-2014, 08:19 PM   #1

High-altitude issues with the Suburban oven?

We are currently in Wyoming at a location about 7,000 ASL and are experiencing difficulty with the oven. The pilot light seems weak and the oven shuts down every few minutes. I re-light it and the same thing happens in a few minutes.

The propane tank shows 3/4 full on the manual gauge at the tank and the stovetop burners light, though not without using a firestick. The igniter does not want to light them.

Is this an altitude issue or do we have a bad regulator or pilot light assembly? Anyone had any experience in this area?

BTW, the Solera is performing well towing a 2014 Honda CRV at this elevation. We are averaging 12.8 mpg towing throughout the Rocky Mountains. Power is sufficient to keep us at 50 mph or better on even the steep grades. We have crossed the Continental Divide at 8,000 feet or more several times with no difficulty.
Tranquil Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
2012 Solera 24S

Just spent a several days in the Leadville, CO area at 10k feet and didn't have any problems with the oven but we only used it once.

Was it working before at a lower altitude?
Nats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:49 PM   #3

Is it possible; found this on a search:

"High altitude would increase the pressure, not decrease it. Since propane boils (turns from liquid to a gas) at a minus temperature, outside temperatures in the 40's or even in the 30's shouldn't be a problem.

Now, your friend may have been sold butane instead of propane. Butane has about the same heat value as propane, and is frequently substituted in warmer climates, since both are "LP" gas. The problem with butane is it stops boiling at about 32 degrees, so at 40 it may not boil enough to provide sufficient pressure and flow."

Could you have been sold butane at your last fill? Just a suggestion.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 08:51 PM   #4

Thanks, Nats.

It was working at a lower elevation earlier in the trip. I'm wondering if the pressure regulator is set just a little too low. Specs show it should be a minimum of 11" WC and a maximum of 14" WC. We are leaving for home tomorrow, so I think I will take it into the dealer and have them check the pressure. I'd like to have it at the mid-point of the specs, at least.

TJ
Old 08-14-2014, 09:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Is it possible; found this on a search:

"High altitude would increase the pressure, not decrease it. Since propane boils (turns from liquid to a gas) at a minus temperature, outside temperatures in the 40's or even in the 30's shouldn't be a problem.

Now, your friend may have been sold butane instead of propane. Butane has about the same heat value as propane, and is frequently substituted in warmer climates, since both are "LP" gas. The problem with butane is it stops boiling at about 32 degrees, so at 40 it may not boil enough to provide sufficient pressure and flow."

Could you have been sold butane at your last fill? Just a suggestion.
Still Kicking: the pressure increase vs decrease makes sense. As you can see, I'm no physicist.

Pretty sure I got propane as I got it from my local propane dealer before we left. He is a commercial propane distributor and, I'm sure, knows the difference.

Now, I'm starting to suspect that the thermo couple is not working correctly, or the pilot light orifice is partially plugged. Anyone know if the flame on the pilot can be adjusted? In the "old days," that was possible with ovens, etc. With all the safety concerns today, it wouldn't surprise me if it couldn't be adjusted. The Suburban "installation and operation manual" for the stove/oven makes no mention of any possible adjustment, but that doesn't surprise me.

Thanks for the thoughts.

TJ
Old 08-14-2014, 09:04 PM   #6

Also, if the ovens main burner ignites, thats telling you the thermocouple is operating. The only other thing I can suggest is open some windows to allow good air flow. Also try this, light the oven and keep the oven door open and see if it stays lit. That would indicate an air mixture at altitude issue. Hope that helps.
Old 08-14-2014, 09:17 PM   #7

Check that, if the thermocouple is faulty, it could possibly stop sending the signal to the gas valve, and then the valve would close. Although in my expierence, I have only expierenced couple failure either working or not in home water heaters or boilers.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:15 PM   #8

The pilot flame is quite small and I'm wondering if it generates insufficient heat to keep the thermocouple energized? The stovetop burners seem to burn normally; however, to my eye the oven burner is a bit weak. It doesn't always want to light all the way to the end of the burner. That is what is making me also suspect that the regulator pressure may be a bit low.

Looks like it is time for the dealer to take a look, though I sometimes wonder about some of these 18-year-old "mechanics" I see at the shop.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:36 PM   #9

Tranquil, after you get home, see how it reacts at the lower altitude. It might be a case of the pilot position on the thermocouple in conjunction with the altitude. If it returns to "normal" operation, then you could have the dealer address the pilot position. What is puzzling is why wouldn't the entire oven burner have flame from all the orafices. That to me, sounds like a pressure issue.

Tags
suburban