Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2015, 12:31 AM   #1

Honda Fit Manual

Wondering if any Solera owners are towing a Honda Fit? I am thinking this might work for us. I know it will need to be a manual, and thanks in advance for any feedback!!
Connolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM   #2

I heavily shopped and researched tow vehicles. We needed an automatic and cost was definitely a factor. Older Honda Fits are towable with either automatic or manual shifters. Newer models with CVT automatics cannot but the manual transmissions still might be. Weight is another issue since they are around 2,400 lbs, you'd have to spend additional money for supplemental braking to be "legal" in most jurisdictions. Though they vary, my rule of thumb is that anything over 2,000 lbs requires that the towed vehicle have supplemental braking.

Honda Fits are pricey. I found a 2009 FIt, low mileage, already completely equipped for towing with a braking system for $9,500. It was only on for an hour and it was already sold.

If cost matters and you need space for 4 passengers, consider an older Chevy Tracker / Suzuki Sidekick, four wheel drive with either automatic or manual shift. They have a transfer case which completely isolates the drivetrain from the wheels. They don't weigh much more than a Fit; you'll see many examples with over 200k miles still running reliably; you will find examples with under 100k miles OFTEN already equipped for towing in the $5k to $7k range. They are very popular as Toads because of low weight, interior space and reputation for being bulletproof.

We decided on a Smart Car because it weighed 1,700 pounds, its sort of an automatic, and doesn't affect mpg or driving characteristics of the Solera (we get + or - 15 mpg).
MiataHoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 07:40 PM   #3

It was a great "Fit" for us

We just bought a 2015 Honda Fit EX 6 speed manual to tow behind our Forester MBS. It tows very well behind the Forester, although you do know it is back there. We just got back from a three week trip from Georgia to Maine to New York, Ohio, the UP of Michigan, Wisconsin and then back home.

Plenty of info to share, but would prefer not to type a book on this forum. You could PM me if you want more information.

Very happy with the Fit, not so much with FR and their customer no service, however.
KatanaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 11:38 AM   #4

We have towed our 2010 manual fit for 9000 miles. Doesn't affect our mileage. We don't even know it's there when towing.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #5

We have a 2013 Solera and tow a 2013 fit with automatic transmission. Tows great.
roberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:29 PM   #6
Drivestregis

We tow a 2015 manual shift Fit with 2014 Solera S. I keep rear view camera on to make sure it is still there. It is an easy tow. We use Blue Ox and Invisibrake. Could not be happier with choice. MPH is around 13.5.
2015 Honda Fit Toad
Drivestregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #7

I have the Fit's slightly bigger sibling, the 2016 HR-V, with the manual transmission. Seems to tow fine. About 500 lbs heavier than the Fit.

Dave
DaveJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJordan View Post
I have the Fit's slightly bigger sibling, the 2016 HR-V, with the manual transmission. Seems to tow fine. About 500 lbs heavier than the Fit.

Dave
Nice setup. How do you like the HR-V?

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pod2Vibe View Post
Nice setup. How do you like the HR-V?
Well...it's a bit hard to say! I've only put about 600 miles on it, and I'm coming from a (very different) Toyota Sienna. So I'm still getting used to it.

But it seems reasonably comfortable, reasonably happy on most roads (gets a bit bumpy on bumpy roads), and holds quite a bit of stuff - it's got the Fit's lower floor level in the back, so the cargo space is actually pretty large.

I've got it setup with a Blue Ox baseplate (serial number 1) and towbar. I've got an SMI Stay in Play Duo braking system, which wasn't installed correctly and needs a bit of sorting out. (The control box on the Duo needs to be level...but they installed it at a fairly severe angle.

Dave
Old 08-20-2015, 11:16 AM   #10

Great info, thank you Dave. Sounds like a great toad for those out there shopping.

Very cool in regards to serial number 1 on the blue ox. Love my blue ox baseplate.

Makes sense on the brake system control box. The Prodigy RF on my TT needed to be level for proper inertia or would ride the brakes and act up.

I checked out SMI's website and the stay in play looks like a very cool idea.

Enjoy,

Jay

Old 08-20-2015, 11:38 AM   #11

Quote:
I checked out SMI's website and the stay in play looks like a very cool idea.
The problem with the SMI control box is that there doesn't appear to be a good/easy way to mount it in the HR-V. At this point I'm not with the car and I haven't really had a chance to look at the possibilities in detail, but the usual mounting spot - to the left of the driver's feet - has very little space available for the box.

I'll contact SMI when I get back to the car to see if they have any ideas for a more level mounting location.

Dave
Old 08-20-2015, 04:24 PM   #12

Roger that, keep us posted.

These new small cars have zero room. I have the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the ready brake setup built in and it was a bit of a nightmare on the Fiat.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Roger that, keep us posted.

These new small cars have zero room. I have the Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the ready brake setup built in and it was a bit of a nightmare on the Fiat.
I have the same system on a Malibu and love it.
Old 08-20-2015, 05:42 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
I have the same system on a Malibu and love it.
Mike, what confirmed my purchase after much research was your prior mention of how well you liked it, thanks again!

I love the ease of use, braking ability and the sheer bruteness of it.

The only issue I had was due to the Fiat have zero room for installing the brake cable on the firewall. Once that was figured out, I was good to go.

Btw, I was just late on a check out time on Monday due to a fellow RVer wanting to know all about it, lol!

Cheers

Old 08-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Mike, what confirmed my purchase after much research was your prior mention of how well you liked it, thanks again!

I love the ease of use, braking ability and the sheer bruteness of it.

The only issue I had was due to the Fiat have zero room for installing the brake cable on the firewall. Once that was figured out, I was good to go.

Btw, I was just late on a check out time on Monday due to a fellow RVer wanting to know all about it, lol!

Cheers
Gotcha. You do need a little room to install it. My nephew had never seen anything like the Ready-brute system before and was impressed when I explained how it worked.

Tags
manual