Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2015, 09:14 PM   #1

HOT water heater compartment

DW noticed the clothes in the drawer above the hot water heater were toasty warm on our 2016 MBS 2401R. Seemed right nice until I investigated further. The entire compartment underneath the drawer is quite hot. I happen to have an infrared thermometer along due to concerns about freezing temperatures, to check lines and fittings (we are past the freezing days now). Several of the items in the compartment such as an electric box that feeds the bedroom read at 95. A set of wires that sits on top of the hot water heater heating box read 98, which. These seem too hot to me. A metal fixture on the tank line reads 110, which seems understandable.

The hot water is very hot at 130, but I understand this is within the normal range.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2015, 07:47 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNtraveler View Post
DW noticed the clothes in the drawer above the hot water heater were toasty warm on our 2016 MBS 2401R. Seemed right nice until I investigated further. The entire compartment underneath the drawer is quite hot. I happen to have an infrared thermometer along due to concerns about freezing temperatures, to check lines and fittings (we are past the freezing days now). Several of the items in the compartment such as an electric box that feeds the bedroom read at 95. A set of wires that sits on top of the hot water heater heating box read 98, which. These seem too hot to me. A metal fixture on the tank line reads 110, which seems understandable.

The hot water is very hot at 130, but I understand this is within the normal range.

Thanks!
On my 2016 Forester, I used reflectix to "box in" this area around the water heater to keep the things in this drawer you mention from getting so hot. I secured the reflectix with foil reflectix tape. I had this same issue with a 2005 Winnebago Vectra that we used to own until about 5 years ago. I had done something similar to it to keep heat away from a drawer located above the water heater, so I did that same thing with this new Forester 2401R.
'16 Forester MBS 2401R
Hellwig 7254, TireMinder A1A & Sumo Equipped
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:45 AM   #3

👍thanks!

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater