Old 10-01-2013, 08:38 PM   #1
Cool Hot water heater draining

I'm a newbie to the RV world so learning a lot. I have a Solera 24S. What is the best way to drain the hot water heater? The dealer told me to loosen the anode rod and drain it there. Seems like there should be an easier way since the rod is so hard to get back in.
Thanks for your help!

rvbrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
He was correct. Make sure the water is cool (hasnt been heated in hours, next day is even better) and release the pressure by the pressure relief valve, just lift up on it and water will spray everywhere. I pull the anode and just set it back in the hole for the winter. I only drain my hot water tank before the winter, not on a regular basis. Hope that helps.

Matt & Kathie
2017 Grey Wolf 27RR
rotorhead1250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:06 PM   #3
Your dealer was right. Best thing to do is to go out and buy yourself the correct size socket for the rod, and practice putting it back in. After a few times, it gets easier. The trick is to visualize the end of the rod (that you can't see) being level going all the way in, and holding as such while you thread it in. Then it goes back in easier. You'll get it. Also, some teflon tape on the threads of the rod help it seal and make it easier to get in and out. Good luck!
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:13 PM   #4
Dealer is right, it's the best way. Before you take out the anode rod make sure you turn off the water heater, both electric and LP. I'd let the water cool off if it's hot. Then stand off to the side and open the pressure relief valve, again, make sure you're standing off to the side. Once the water has drained it's a good idea to flush out any crud in the tank. I use one of these, Water Heater Tank Rinser - Camco 11691 - Water Heaters - Camping World, but you can make your own. Inspect the anode rod to see what percentage is left. Read this recent post, Removing anode rod to drain hot water heater.
2013 Palomino Sabre 34REQS-6

Link to pics:
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Does anyone know the socket size?
5thwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
Originally Posted by 5thwheel View Post
Does anyone know the socket size?
Most common size is 1 and 1/16 inch.
B47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
RVbrodie, I think you can drain the HW tank with the main drains located under the coach behind the step should be two drains there one for the main system and one for the HW heater. I drained my last week and could hear the water draining from the tank after opening the drain cap. Also hello from Council Bluffs, and welcome to RVing
Henry & Tena
2013 Solera 24S
The Great Escape
hkreck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Curious..why can't just opening a hot water faucet in the camper relieve the pressure in the hot water heater? .... before closing the bypass valves.
Klemintine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
I drain my water heater by opening the low point drains then the pressure relief valve. That is not for winterizing, but seems to get the water out between trips.

2012 Rockwood A122S
2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4X4

Former owner of a 2002 Coleman Niagara GTE
Pooneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #10
Mod free 5er
The only way to drain the tank is by removing the plug on an Atwood and the anode on a Surburban. Low point drains DO NOT empty the water heater.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote

drain, heater, hot water, water, water heater