Old 11-12-2014, 08:39 AM   #21

If your uncomfortable with it order another one and use the one you have until it gets used up. This will give you the comfort zone your looking for, then ck the old one periodically until it wears out.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
Do you "replace it" advocates replace rolls of toilet paper when they are only 1/3 used just to keep from looking cheap? Anode rods are consumables just like toilet paper is. Use 'em up.
Excellent analogy Mr. Dan.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:34 AM   #23

Which anode rod are you all purchasing for your Solera, I noticed they come in various lengths and different alloys: Magnesium Anode Rod/Aluminum Anode Rod? Thanks in advance!!

CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"

Old 11-13-2014, 04:28 PM   #24
GM

Those of you with the new Atwood water heater need not look for an anode rod. (just an FYI if you stumble on this thread). Aluminum tank, so no sacrifice needed. (Anode rod mother's across the country just breathed a sigh of relief).
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:46 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
X4 here- still have my original from July 2012 that looks decent:
Sometimes the water will make a difference on the rate it uses up such as a waters softener, that will eat a rod in a year. Certain minerals in well water, and some city water depending on what you use. I just do not under stand why people will not just replace them yearly for 9.95 on ebay but will spend all other money on just junk. I don't care if mine looks like new it is a yearly change for me.
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 04:49 PM   #26
Fulltime family RVer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Sometimes the water will make a difference on the rate it uses up such as a waters softener, that will eat a rod in a year. Certain minerals in well water, and some city water depending on what you use. I just do not under stand why people will not just replace them yearly for 9.95 on ebay but will spend all other money on just junk. I don't care if mine looks like new it is a yearly change for me.
You seem to have awfully strong feelings on this, maybe a petition may make you feel better?

I'll send my money my way and you spend yours. I travel around often and use all sorts of water. If I crack it open one day and it's significantly worn down, I'll replace it. I don't understand why I would throw it away early; why waste paper towels?
Old 11-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
Which anode rod are you all purchasing for your Solera, I noticed they come in various lengths and different alloys: Magnesium Anode Rod/Aluminum Anode Rod? Thanks in advance!!

CaptDan
2013 Solera "S"

They eat at different rates since no one answered you. depending on the chemicals or minerals in the water...Hope that answers your question. "Depending on how much you know about your water heater’s anatomy, you may have heard of the anode rod. Sometimes called the “sacrificial” anode rod, its job is to divert corrosive action away from the tank walls and to the anode rod.

Since the anode rod’s job is to corrode, you obviously need to replace it regularly when it starts to give out – otherwise your water tank walls will start to corrode in its place. In fact, replacing your anode rod when you’re supposed to may even increase the lifespan of your water heater, preventing costly breakdowns and saving you from needing water heater replacement.The condition of your anode rod (and whether it is time to replace it) depends on your water quality, how much you use your tank, the temperature of your thermostat, and, of course, the quality of the tank itself. Note: if you soften your water with sodium, this will lead to a shorter life for your anode rod. When using an anode rod, be aware of all the factors that affect it so you can keep your water heater in top working order.

There are a few different types of anode rods, all with their own unique advantages:

Magnesium Anode Rods – an excellent choice for anode rods, magnesium anode rods do corrode at a faster rate than other materials. However, dissolved magnesium in water can offer many health benefits.

Aluminum Anode Rods – aluminum rods are the least expensive anode rods and create the lowest voltage during the sacrificial process. As a result, they corrode more slowly than other anode rods. Most manufacturers use aluminum anode rods as standard equipment. Flexible aluminum anode rods also exist that are designed for limited spaces where a straight anode rod would not fit.

Aluminum / Zinc / Tin Anode Rods – if your water heater smells like rotten eggs, you should consider an aluminum/zinc/tin anode rod. This particular combination of metals is often used when foul odorsare present in the water, aszinc is a natural anti-fungal element that can help mitigate the growth of iron bacteria which can cause that rotten egg smell. Zinc oxide and zinc compounds are indigestible to micro-organisms such as bacteria.

Hot Water Outlet Anode Rods – hot water anode rods are perfect to use if your water heater doesn’t have a separate anode rod inlet port, or if your old anode rod is impossible to remove. There are aluminum/zinc/tin and aluminum hot water outlet anode rods. Hot water outlet anode rods often include built in heat trap nipples designed to keep any cooling hot water from entering back into the water heater and potentially cooling the water down" un quote....
Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 05:53 PM   #28
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptDan View Post
Which anode rod are you all purchasing for your Solera, I noticed they come in various lengths and different alloys:
CaptDan
CaptDan, Suburban recommends Magnesium: This is right out of the Suburban Anode replacement manual. It says Magnesium should last over a year - if it does not, they recommend Aluminum as it reacts slower and should only be used where a Magnesium anode does not last one year.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Anode_Rod_Replacement_Suburban_PN_232767 (1).pdf (1.44 MB, 33 views)
Old 11-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Sometimes called the “sacrificial” anode rod, its job is to divert corrosive action away from the tank walls and to the anode rod.
You know, sometimes I'VE been called a sacrificial anode. I wonder why?

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #30

Old Coot,

Does Suburban's recommendation make sense? If the water corroded my anode so quickly that a magnesium rod only lasted a year, I would surely not replace it with a rod that offered less protection. I'd want the rod to corrode, not my water heater tank.

RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water heater, water, heater