Old 11-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #31
Mod free 5er
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Old Coot,

Does Suburban's recommendation make sense? If the water corroded my anode so quickly that a magnesium rod only lasted a year, I would surely not replace it with a rod that offered less protection. I'd want the rod to corrode, not my water heater tank.
The only conclusion I have is they say if it doesn't last a year, meaning an anode should last a year before replacing. So, if the magnesium one lasts 9 months, maybe an aluminum will last 12 months. Both offer protection, one is not any better than the other. In my feeble mind, it's like putting granulated salt in water and rock salt in water. Both will dissolve, but the granulated will dissolve faster. JMO.

OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:38 PM   #32
Jack of All Trades
I wonder if the "replace every year"er's replace the anode rod in their S&B house water heater? (By the way, I don't, coming up on 15 years now, I'm just too lazy, and, after this long, probably wouldn't be able to get it out anyway. We're on softened well water, and I have never found any sediment or anode rod "remains" in the tank.)

As far as the anode rod in th TT's water heater, 3 years old, always only use soft water in the FW tank, and less than 25% consumed. At this rate, should last another 5 to 7 years. I'm not going to worry about replacing it until it's over 50% consumed.

Just my opinion!

Rick & Debbie; Brandy & Schnoodle Dexter & Fritz R.I.P. the Doxie "Kids"
2015 Jayco Pinnacle 36RSQS 5'er
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ, 6.6L Diesel Dually; B&W Goose Neck and Companion 5'er hitch
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote

hot water, water heater, water, heater