Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #1

How cold is too cold?

I live in my 24S Solera full time, but this is the first cold weather since I retired and moved in on September 1st.

I plan on staying in the southwest US. It occasionally gets to freezing or slightly below (32 - 29 degrees) for short periods of time (2-3 hours). Since I live in it, the rig isn't winterized. I can 1.) turn the furnace on low (55 degrees) to keep the inside from freezing (I worry if I turn it higher, I'll run out of propane). 2.) I can open the kitchen, vanity and bathroom doors to assure they get good air circulation. 3.) I have a supplemental Mr Buddy heater with its own propane tank I can use. 4.) I could turn on the tank heaters.

Do I need to worry that pipes or holding tanks will freeze and be damaged? Other ideas?
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 05:49 PM   #2

If your on shore power I'd be using electric space heaters and saving my propane. I put one in bed room, one in living room and run the electric fireplace. You can set the thermostat on them to what ever you like.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:04 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

A big yes on using electric heaters instead of the furnace. Have someone wire a separate switch on the furnace fan so you can run the fan without using the burner to circulate the air. You can turn the tank heaters on as they will automatically shut off @ 42degrees I think.

I was able to wire the switch myself and it's what we use for heating in FL during the cold snaps.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:18 PM   #4

X2 on tank heaters I've never used ours cause it doesn't get cold enough here.
Also if it's going to be real cold wrap your water hose with heat tape and put that tube insulation over it.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 06:39 PM   #5

We have traveled to the south for a few years with a 5th wheel and now an MBS. Never had an issue with morning temps going in the upper 20s .If most of the day is 32+ you won't have a problem. If not on shore power the use of tank heaters will run your batteries down quickly. One thing I will be trying this year is the pillows you stuff in your ceiling vents. Have heard good reviews of their effectiveness.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:41 AM   #6

Thank you for your suggestions. It's good to know others have made it through mild freezing weather without incident! I'll be mindful of the draw of the tank heaters if I'm not plugged in. The furnace does have a fan only setting, so I'll use that to circulate the warm air (from space heaters or the Mr Buddy).
Old 10-26-2015, 06:47 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharSolera View Post
Thank you for your suggestions. It's good to know others have made it through mild freezing weather without incident! I'll be mindful of the draw of the tank heaters if I'm not plugged in. The furnace does have a fan only setting, so I'll use that to circulate the warm air (from space heaters or the Mr Buddy).
If you have the heat pump run that. It will run down to 30 degrees and will keep thinks from freezing by keeping the RV mass above freezing.
Old 10-26-2015, 08:55 AM   #8

Charsolera- I would advise to use the motorhome furnace before the Mr Buddy heater. The furnace is not too big of a propane user like the generator. The furnace uses outside air for combustion/exhaust while the MR Buddy does not. The MR Buddy does have an auto shut down when it senses low oxygen and a good heater for ice fishing and emergencies.
SSmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
If Not plugged in to S/P your Fan only on your Furnace will run your Battery down Faster than the Tank Heaters! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #10

Cold Weather

I camp below Montgomery, Alabama where the temperature very rarely drops below freezing for more than a few hours at night. I am only there on the weekends. I am connected to shore power so if I put a couple of space heaters in camper and open the cabinets, will that keep stuff from freezing?
gartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #11

I lived in NH/Maine for decades. You really don't have to worry about things freezing up in a few hours. It takes time to sap the residual heat from things. It takes awhile for water to 40-50 degree water to freeze at 32.
Waynedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #12

This is the 11th winter we have brought our RV to Arizona with us. Never winterized, never had a problem. For several years, like you, we lived aboard. Now we have a house and I still don't worry about the RV. In fact, since I have solar I don't even use shore power. It takes a really hard freeze to do damage. . .just not something we get in the SW unless you are at high altitude.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gartan View Post
I camp below Montgomery, Alabama where the temperature very rarely drops below freezing for more than a few hours at night. I am only there on the weekends. I am connected to shore power so if I put a couple of space heaters in camper and open the cabinets, will that keep stuff from freezing?
Yep! We are up in Huntsville and have two oil filled space heaters for our 33' long rig. They even have a "no freeze" setting (keeps ambiant temps at @ 45 deg.)

Works perfectly, and I don't have to winterize which means we can be spontanous and go camping when the mood strikes.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud yapster View Post
X2 on tank heaters I've never used ours cause it doesn't get cold enough here.
Also if it's going to be real cold wrap your water hose with heat tape and put that tube insulation over it.
There is also a pre-wrapped hose solution here:

No Freeze Water Hose - Eliminate Water Line Freeze

2015 Solera MBS 24R - Hellwig/Sumo Equipped, Sold
(Sold the Vibe TT, as well)
Pod2Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 01:42 PM   #15

Quote:
I'm not sure of what furnace you have but if it's a suburban, You DO NOT HAVE A FAN ONLY SETTING. that is for the A/C fan which you could use. Other then that you need to wire in a switch as OC said he did. At least I have never seen one....Beware on that one..Could be wrong but I don't think so...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 02:14 PM   #16

I live in the Eastern Sierra Mtns. @ 7,000 ft. Elev. I did quite a bit of below freezing usage last year on my Solera before eventually wintering. No problems if below freezing for only a few hrs. If it warms up during the day. I use Arctic Pac at night, insulate the vents with the inserts, foam core boards over windows, heavy blanket between coach and cab for heat loss and furnace or space heater. I open the cabinets a little to let the heat into the lines. I use a little antifreeze in the holding tank if really cold too. All lines run inside the rv, not underneath. There is spray insulation underbody. All in all, pretty well insulated. Using some pipe fitting cover near the tank is the only exposed area.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #17

Thank you all for the good suggestions. You are correct about the fan only being part of the a.c. system (sad). I've got 500 watts of solar and 4 AGM batteries, so I have a little more capacity than a stock Solera. So good to hear that many of you have made it through a chilly night with no ill effects to the Solera water and waste systems. Thank you!! I love this forum! Last night, I was worried and tonight I'm not. 😃
Old 10-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Thank you all for the good suggestions. You are correct about the fan only being part of the a.c. system (sad). I've got 500 watts of solar and 4 AGM batteries, so I have a little more capacity than a stock Solera. So good to hear that many of you have made it through a chilly night with no ill effects to the Solera water and waste systems. Thank you!! I love this forum! Last night, I was worried and tonight I'm not. 😃
Charlene-
just curious about how you have the 4 AGM batteries set up? any chance you could post some pics? I may want a similar setup.
'16 Forester MBS 2401R
Hellwig 7254, TireMinder A1A & Sumo Equipped
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #19

Jdyson, two under the steps (had to make the step a tiny bit higher) and two in the passenger side compartment. Also in the passenger side compartment is the Progressive surge protector. Not much to photograph -- just a plywood box built into the compartment (I have the 24S Solera). Does that help?
Old 10-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #20

Worst case, run the truck engine every couple hours to charge everything back up? Heats the cab too.
Towing 2016 Chevy Sonic LT
TLAK is offline   Reply With Quote