Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2015, 12:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 216
How long to de-winterize

First season. We're headed to Washington DC Friday am and wondering about how long it takes to wash the antifreeze out of the system. Does it leave an aftertaste in the drinking water? I'm trying to figure out if I will do it here in Ottawa while we're close or below freezing or wait till we get to Washington. Thanks all!
__________________

__________________
Eric Jackson
Ottawa Ontario Canada
2015 Solera 24R
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
 
ColoradoRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 953
I like to dewinterize while parked in the street at my house because the street drain is right next to where I park the camper.

I hook up the water with my hose and flush all of the lines. Then, I'll pour about a cup of bleach into the fresh water tank then fill it up. Then, I'll flush this bleach solution through all of the lines and then let it sit for an hour or two to disinfect everything. (The fresh water tank can get a nasty rotten egg smell if it's not disinfected.)

Then, I'll drain the fresh water tank (valve under the camper) and fill it and drain it, again then run fresh water through all of the lines, again.

Now, it's important to NOT open the bypass valves on the hot water heater until AFTER you've done all this...no reason to flush out or run bleach through the water heater. (You can buy a little hose to put into the water heater to flush it out.)

Even after doing all this, you still may smell a bit of bleach for a little while but flushing the water a bit will get rid of it.
__________________

__________________
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:15 PM   #3
2015 Forester MBS 2401W
 
HomeOnWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
I like to dewinterize while parked in the street at my house because the street drain is right next to where I park the camper.

I hook up the water with my hose and flush all of the lines. Then, I'll pour about a cup of bleach into the fresh water tank then fill it up. Then, I'll flush this bleach solution through all of the lines and then let it sit for an hour or two to disinfect everything. (The fresh water tank can get a nasty rotten egg smell if it's not disinfected.)

Then, I'll drain the fresh water tank (valve under the camper) and fill it and drain it, again then run fresh water through all of the lines, again.

Now, it's important to NOT open the bypass valves on the hot water heater until AFTER you've done all this...no reason to flush out or run bleach through the water heater. (You can buy a little hose to put into the water heater to flush it out.)

Even after doing all this, you still may smell a bit of bleach for a little while but flushing the water a bit will get rid of it.

Newbie question - instead of using the drain valve, is there any benefit to flush the bleach water through faucet, sink, shower, down to grey tank and clean these systems as well?
__________________
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 02:17 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
geotex1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
Newbie question - instead of using the drain valve, is there any benefit to flush the bleach water through faucet, sink, shower, down to grey tank and clean these systems as well?
The entire freshwater system should be sanitized.
__________________
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 03:00 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
 
ColoradoRick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 953
Quote:
Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
The entire freshwater system should be sanitized.
Yes but trying to run over 30-gallons of the fresh water (using the water pump) through everything would take forever...that's why I'll run it through everything and then drain the fresh water tank onto the street. (Which can take a few hours...just enough time to let everything soak!!)
__________________
Rick & Karen
(Retired USAF, MSgt)
Monument, Colorado
6-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
geotex1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Yes but trying to run over 30-gallons of the fresh water (using the water pump) through everything would take forever...that's why I'll run it through everything and then drain the fresh water tank onto the street. (Which can take a few hours...just enough time to let everything soak!!)
No, I agree. When you fill your tank, you pump enough through to fill all of the FW plumbing and top off the tank and let it sit. I personally do 4 hours because I winterize by blowout. Should do your FW hoses too. My sanitizing is an all day affair because I do multiple rinses and then a fresh fill of the tank and water heater as I travel full always.

I was just answering the direct question at the time.
__________________
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:33 PM   #7
2015 Forester MBS 2401W
 
HomeOnWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: San Diego
Posts: 276
Thankfully we live in Southern California and don't normally need to winterize. But I'm still thinking about sanitizing the fresh water system periodically. Does anyone living in the warm area have specific recommendations - yes/no or how often?
__________________
HomeOnWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 04:37 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
geotex1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 730
When I lived in Texas, once a year minimum and as needed if there was odor or other cause for concern.
__________________
geotex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 05:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Ecopco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 210
Here's a good video courtesy of The RV Geeks on YouTube. http://youtu.be/jEepug8N-aE



2015 Solera 24R
__________________

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 01:19 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sandiegodoug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 623
Never sanitized in 2 3/4 years.
But I always drink bottled water
Just shower and do dishes with fresh water.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
__________________

__________________
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
winter, winterize

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:26 AM.