Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #21
Commercial Member

very first post...30 lbs lighter.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
very first post...30 lbs lighter.

Missed that line.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:06 AM   #23

Coming from an aviation background where weight is everything and having built a couple of airplanes myself there seem to be several ways RV builders could lighten the load. One example is the wood fronts on the cabinets. Very heavy. I understand the cost curve using wood vs. other lighter materials, like molded fiberglass, but it seems that it might be worth a look as there would be significant weight savings. As an old Experimental Aircraft Association mentor told me once "Son, take care of the ounces and the pounds will take care of themselves"
Thermalseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:40 AM   #24

Just look at the European rv market.From trailers to motorhomes everything is 30% lighter and therefore use much less gas. A typical small MH with a Fiat Ducato (commonly used because Mercedes is too expensive ) engine gets a mileage of 25...
But you will not find porcelain toilets, solid cabinets, glass shower doors but double insulated (plastic) windows and the typical european style..
Loefflerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #25
Needs Help

I really like the styling and features in some of those European RV's.

Old 06-10-2014, 10:13 AM   #26

This video above is us to a T! Go to all RV shows and stores wherever we are and consider myself an RV geek like this women lol, fascinated with the designs. We want bigger tanks than a B, looking at B+ or small C. My husband says the same thing about the European style RV's. We're looking for something small that utilizes space well, possibly a Solera. We don't travel heavy, my husband wants good gas mileage, pick up and go, that's the way he is, he doesn't like any vehicle that can't move lol. Also good outdoor storage, love the way they do it above. I would do the Shub shower door, or lighter weight cabinets, etc. We travel all over the Northeast and East Coast as our main route, where there are many small, tight fitting towns and roads, etc.
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loefflerh View Post
Just look at the European rv market.From trailers to motorhomes everything is 30% lighter and therefore use much less gas. A typical small MH with a Fiat Ducato (commonly used because Mercedes is too expensive ) engine gets a mileage of 25...
But you will not find porcelain toilets, solid cabinets, glass shower doors but double insulated (plastic) windows and the typical european style..

One of the reasons for this is driver licensing. In Europe above 7.5 tons you are required to have a commercial driver license. This has since been changed to 3.5 tons and only few people have a commercial license which is difficult and expensive to maintain.

So manufacturers have to adopt better with smaller and lighter RVs. The Sprinter does not sell as with the Solera and about 5 tons it requires a commercial license to operate...

Reiner
Old 06-10-2014, 11:46 AM   #28

They also have smaller, tighter roads in Europe, which is another reason why they like smaller RVs and cars. America can be like that also with tight roads, etc. at least where I live and our main travel areas. We have a 25 ft 2003 B+ looking to upgrade. Honestly prefer 23 or 24 tops, sometimes even a 25 is tight but works most of the time so would do. Considering Solera. If you utilize a smaller RV's space well, keep lighter and quicker (which I know my husband is big on) that gets better gas mileage by that, that's a win win situation in the US too. Agree that it has to look nice and be COMFORTABLE. Maybe that's why it's taking us time to find the right one. ;o)
cjscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
My personal opinion is the glass shower door looks better. The shub may be more functional...but how many people would look at it and just think its cheap plastic without considering any benefits?

The main benefit is that it is about 30 lbs lighter than a glass shower door. Since it retracts all the way, the opening is bigger.
We had this in our previous travel trailer, a Sunline, and never had any problems but like the glass door we have now.
Husky Centerline Hitch

hokiecampers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, weight