Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #1

Question How many Soleras are sold each year?

So what is the number of Soleras sold/manufacturered/whatever each year?

After reading the not so favorable reports here at the Solera subforum, I'm a bit concerned that I'll be orphaned in a couple of years to deal all sorts of bad stuff. I'm about to embark on my first trip of 1000 miles for a week. I wonder if I'll end up in a motel!
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #2
Commercial Member

The number of Solera's sold continues to grow each year we've been building them (2010). Last year we were right around 200 and it has been growing about 25% each year. Most of that was with one floor plan and we're about to introduce our 3rd floor plan this fall.

I'm not sure what you mean by "orphaned". Forest River is a division of Berkshire Hathaway. The Solera is built in the same plant as the Sunseeker which was the #1 selling Class C in the North America in 2011 (on pace for that in 2012). We're not going anywhere and we will certainly stand behind our product.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

Thumbs up

Thanks for the quick and positive response. That's good news. With 400 or so on the road, the number of problems reported here would appear to be a very small percentage, so my chances of not having big problems would seem to be good. Now if we could only get a user manual with diagrams that was specific to the Solera.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Stay Classy San Diego

We just bought a 2012 Solera, after reading everything we could find about it. Compared to other brands, it seemed to have the least complaints at this price point. I have every faith in Forest River, who has been building motor homes for years, and Mercedes Benz who have been building the Sprinter for years. I expect a few glitches which is realistic, but I know that between the manufacturer, the dealer, and my husband they will be taken care of!

Have a great trip - we expect a trip report with photos
Old 07-31-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
Stay Classy San Diego

Oh and I am curious about the 3rd floorplan! Any chance of throwing a few detail crumbs our way?
Old 07-31-2012, 10:51 AM   #6
Commercial Member

lol...I'm sworn to secrecy. A new Solera floor plan and a Class C floor plan won't debut until September. Right now we have people taking out the Class C to get some real world testing. We'll do the same with the Solera once it's finished. The production manager had the new Class C out for a weekend trip and a few lucky campers got a sneak peek (great reviews). We refrain from publishing anything because we typically make a few changes after testing. I'll post pictures and a floor plan on here and the Facebook page the second I'm able.

Old 07-31-2012, 08:00 PM   #7

I received my 2013 Solera in June and took it out on a 6000 mile trip in July. I couldn't be happier with it. My Brother in law who has had several class C and class A's told me he thought I made the right choice in buying it as he was very impressed with it.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I received my 2013 Solera in June and took it out on a 6000 mile trip in July. I couldn't be happier with it. My Brother in law who has had several class C and class A's told me he thought I made the right choice in buying it as he was very impressed with it.
Good to hear. I also think your "satisfaction" depends on your level of self sufficiency. I have seen some people not want to tighten a screw...so yes a drawer adjustment is a HUGE PITA, because you have to drive an hour to the dealer, drop it off, come back and get it when it's done.

I recently had a new home A/C put in. They used all existing lines. After they left I found out my condensate line was plugged (7 years old). So I go about installing a new condensate line out of 3/4" pvc instead of 1/2" putting more slope in, rerouting it how I wanted to make pulling a filter easier. My daughter says "If I were you I would call those people that installed the A/C and give them a piece of my mind. Make them come out and do that". She said this several times..yet it was no money out of her pocket, she wasn't doing the work and frankly no one knew it was plugged from years of dirt. I would have been more annoyed to have to call them, explain it, set up an appt, wait for them to arrive and hope they install it the way I wanted it. I'm a big believer that the more you know about something the more you can troubleshoot down the road. I enjoy figuring out how stuff works and how it breaks. Which also means I can fix it looong before someone can come out and fix it.

Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #9

We love ours. we took it on a 4000 mile trip to Yellowstone in June. We got 15 MPG with not problems. I think its a freat RV.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #10

Man I know what you mean there are just too many people out here that don't know how to do some simple repair and maintenance and other's who don't want to do any work at all.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
Stay Classy San Diego

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
lol...I'm sworn to secrecy. A new Solera floor plan and a Class C floor plan won't debut until September.
That's next month - I guess I can wait that long! Will it be unveiled in Harrisburg?
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
lol...I'm sworn to secrecy. A new Solera floor plan and a Class C floor plan won't debut until September. Right now we have people taking out the Class C to get some real world testing. We'll do the same with the Solera once it's finished. The production manager had the new Class C out for a weekend trip and a few lucky campers got a sneak peek (great reviews). We refrain from publishing anything because we typically make a few changes after testing. I'll post pictures and a floor plan on here and the Facebook page the second I'm able.
the solera 24ms floorplan on a sunseeker?
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:00 AM   #13
Commercial Member

lol....not quite gerry. I'm not sure if they will make Hersey or not.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:33 AM   #14

I am surprised this has not been updated.

I will take deliver of a 2013 Solera 24R in the next week or so. We bought it at the Pomona show. I do not know if it was available any earlier than that.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 10:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
I am surprised this has not been updated.

I will take deliver of a 2013 Solera 24R in the next week or so. We bought it at the Pomona show. I do not know if it was available any earlier than that.
Pop-why did you sell your trailmanor
Old 11-24-2012, 12:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51 View Post
Pop-why did you sell your trailmanor
It is not yet sold. I will sell it after I have possession of the Solera.

In 2005 we bought the Trailmanor to go camping with some comfort. It served us well.

In 2008 we bought 2 ATVs and 2 motorcycles. So when we go camping we take the GMC 2500HD to tow the Trailmanor and the Chevy 1500HD to tow the ATV trailer.

Both trucks get about 11 mpg while towing. So that is the equivalent of 5.5 mpg. We will now tow the ATV trailer behind the Solera. The Solera seems to be getting 14 to 18 mpg. Even if it got 11 mpg that is a lot better than what my two trucks are getting combined.

Taking two trucks means that I drive the GMC with TM and my wife drives the Chevy with the ATVs. We usually leave Thursday around 1:00 and the kids (29 and 32) meet us Friday night. My wife has a strong preference for riding with me instead of towing behind me.

In the past year my wife has had double knee replacement surgery. Getting down to the floor is getting to be a real difficult task for her.

Climbing into the TM rear bed is another difficult task. The Solera 24R has a rear slide for the walk around queen bed.

The Trailmanor was stored in the garage at home. The Solera will be parked in the driveway. My driveway is 26 feet long. The Solera is 24.5 feet long. I do not want to pay storage fees for a lot that is quite some distance from home.

I already have one interested party for the TM. I live in San Jose and they live in San Diego. People go a long way to find a used TM in good condition. My TM is in excellent condition.
ATV trailer for the following toys
2008 Yamaha WR250R,2009 Honda CRF150F
2008 Polaris Scrambler 500
PopBeavers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #17

just for info where are the generators located on each version of solera
Old 11-24-2012, 03:29 PM   #18

On the S the generator is on the driver's side. I'm sure it is located in the same place on all three version. The only difference in the three is interior and the R has a back slide.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:48 PM   #19

My 2013 has the propane gen on the right side under the rear storage compartment
The tank is in the drivers side
I have a s with the corner bed
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:23 AM   #20
Stay Classy San Diego

I have the M. Propane and generator are both on the passenger side

Tags
solera