Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

How to connect an Xbox to a Solera 24R ?

I am getting an old xbox360 that I'd like to connect to the Solera so we can watch DVD's and/or play xbox on either the front or rear tv's. Does anyone have an idea how I could 'feed' the xbox into the coax ? Over the door is a cabinet with two wall plates. One is just jumpered from A to B, and the other looks like a powered receptacle with 12v outlet and a coax connector.

I have a rather primitive drawing I found that seems to suggest I could pull the coax jumper and run the xbox into the top connector (with the bottom connector being park-cable) ?

Of course my Solera only has the front radio/dvd head, and not a second dvd/radio system.

Your thoughts ?
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Why not connect it directly to the back of the TV? via A/V cable. Why try and go through coax?

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 09:23 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Why not connect it directly to the back of the TV? via A/V cable. Why try and go through coax?
I may want to watch a dvd in the rear bedroom or on the front tv, and I'd like to put the xbox in the cabinet over the entry door, so I was wondering if I can pump the signal into the coax - the question is how.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:35 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Does the Xbox output to coax? If so you should be able to connect direct to coax turn off power antenna. Otherwise you need an RF converter. Or there are some wireless hdmi solutions. It would be sort of the same as if you had a satellite receiver up there. I posted a pdf of the satellite connections a while back. You can search by user for satellite connections or I'll check in the AM

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #5
Who Dares, Wins

My 360 is hdmi or av plugs only.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 10:10 PM   #6

Ok - I looked at the Xbox 360 output ports, and this isn't really possible, as it only connects to a TV via HDMI. It is not possible to convert HDMI to RG6 coax. Also, there is no place for me to put a dvd player in the rear bedroom - the TV is mounted to the wall.

THEREFORE, I'M SERIOUSLY SWITCHING GEARS to get this done, and will use some modern technology instead. Take my laptop and DVD movies (or ipad, or smart phone, etc.), plug a 'chromecast' into tv hdmi port, use wireless lan device called a RAVpower Wireless Travel Router to setup a local wireless network in the RV, and stream the movies to the tv. It might sound complicated, but isn't all that bad.

If the campground had wireless or wired internet, I could even stream netflix from a laptop or iPad to the chromecast - which is kind of a generic streaming device.
Old 03-02-2016, 10:13 PM   #7
Who Dares, Wins

I converted all our dvds into mp4(or whatever a video is) and put them on a 1tb hard drive. It plugs into our DVD player via a USB port.

Also good luck streaming from the campgrounds WiFi.. They won't usually support the load.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
My 360 is hdmi or av plugs only.

Yes - thanks - you are right. I don't have the X360 in my possession yet, so I didn't bother to investigate what outputs it has (and I'm not a 'gamer'!) What I was attempting to do doesn't appear to be possible. Now on to "plan B".
Old 03-03-2016, 09:46 AM   #9

Quote:
I converted all our dvds into mp4(or whatever a video is) and put them on a 1tb hard drive. It plugs into our DVD player via a USB port.

Also good luck streaming from the campgrounds WiFi.. They won't usually support the load.

Good to know - I have not yet tried to connect to any campground wi-fi, but I certainly have experienced poor power many times, so I guess that shouldn't be a surprise! And congratulations on building that hard-drive library - it had to be a lot of work.
Old 03-03-2016, 09:48 AM   #10
Who Dares, Wins

It actually is not that hard. Takes about 20minutes to save from a DVD. 5 minutes for my daughters TV shows. Once the setup is done I use the same settings for them all.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Working on doing the movie thing in my GTown. Currently we have 4x 4TB hard drives that we move from tv to tv. My daughter has her own dedicated drives with her movies on them, that she uses in her bunk. I'm going to set up a server in the bedroom and stream to front and outside TVs. Just have to decide which streaming device to go with. The problem I had in the past, is that the movies are in DVD format, no compression, so it takes a lot to stream them.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:01 AM   #12
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah... That is well beyond me. All we have is stuff for the rug rat.. Use a hard rive and also have the stuff on a tablet for the car rides.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2016, 10:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Yeah... That is well beyond me. All we have is stuff for the rug rat.. Use a hard rive and also have the stuff on a tablet for the car rides.

I like my suggested YouTube feeds.
Goes like this.

Campers
Motor homes
Bob the builder
Jeeps
Paw patrol.

Lol.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Old 03-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #14

well I know they make ethernet to usb adapters, but never checked if they have anything like hdmi to coax adapter, they probably don't, but never searched it
hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:12 AM   #15

do you have to have a program to convert a dvd to mp4,

Quote:
It actually is not that hard. Takes about 20minutes to save from a DVD. 5 minutes for my daughters TV shows. Once the setup is done I use the same settings for them all.

hammer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:40 AM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer55 View Post
do you have to have a program to convert a dvd to mp4,
I use Handbrake to make the conversions. It has other formats as well but I use Windows / Android devices. I use ANYDVD made by Sly Fox to allow the DVD encryption to be broken for download. I have all the DVDs / Bluerays of ALL the items downloaded... Because otherwise it would be illegla to get a movie from Red Box lets say and copy it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny kustom View Post
I like my suggested YouTube feeds.
Goes like this.

Campers
Motor homes
Bob the builder
Jeeps
Paw patrol.

Lol.

2016 Sabre 36QBOK
2015 Ram 3500 CUMMINS
Yeah... I have:
Camping: Love your RV, Long Long Honey moon\
Photography: Tony Northrop and a few others...

Then....
Paw Patrol (its Canadian EH!!!)
Dora
Dora into the City
Team UniZoomies
PJ Mask
Goldie and Bear.... Oh it continues....

Guess I have a 3 year old....

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #17
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I do have all my DVD's. Have over 4000 at last count. Had to have an insurance rider on our home owners policy to cover "digital data". All TVs in our house are hardwired to an 18TB Media server that has all of our movies, music, and pictures. We can easily watch 4 different movies on 4 different TVs anytime. The problem is, I never know what to watch!
Old 03-03-2016, 12:18 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

And I was excited when I managed to put my few DVD's onto a tablet for the little one...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 03-03-2016, 12:31 PM   #19
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
And I was excited when I managed to put my few DVD's onto a tablet for the little one...
I spent many an hour getting them all onto hard drives. Anymore it's not bad at all, when we buy a new DVD, it gets copied to drive (if it doesn't have digital format) first thing! My personal desktop (off limits to all but me!) has 3 disc drives with enough memory and CPU to decode all 3 at once. Could usually rip out 3 movies every 6-8 minutes.
Old 03-03-2016, 12:58 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I installed an Apple TV behind the TV in our rig (using the Command Strip Velcro strips so it can be easily moved between TT and home).

I then wiped my old iPad and loaded it with nothing but 'Digitial Copy' movies for the kids. The plan was to AirPlay them to the Apple TV using and old Airport Express portable router I had.

Turns out Apple needs an Internet connection to validate the DRM on their Digital Copies before you can AirPlay them so that plan went out the window. Now instead I have to use my phone's hotspot to setup the Wifi in place of using the Airport Express.

I've done the odd Handbrake for one or two movies that didn't come with a Digital Copy that the DW really wanted to watch while we're gone, but given the size of our library, it's going to be a daunting task to get them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

Tags
solera