Old 09-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #1

Info/Winterizing

My wife and I are knew to Solera's. We just recently purchased a 2010 SS24S model. We are still trying to figure out where everything is. Previously had a Free Spirit Leisure Travel Van. In the Water/Sewage compartment on the right side (next to the winterize lever) there is a sub compartment that contains a hose with a special fitting. Is this the hose for sucking in anti-freeze and does it automatically come on when you switch lever to winterize? Also does anyone know if there is a manual for the unit.

Thanks,
Alaska6580

Old 09-22-2015, 01:31 PM   #2

I think the hose your talking about is the so called outside shower hose. To winterize switch the valve to winterize, look in under the bed on the 24S you see the back side of the water heater. There are 3 valves in there to bypass the water heater so you don't fill it full of anti-freeze. Get a pump and hook it up to the city water intake and pump the anti-freeze into the system making sure to open all of the faucets, toilet and showers (including the outside one mentioned earlier). You can also hook a air hose up to the intake and blow the water out of your unit but be careful about the pressure should be under 20 PSI from what I understand. Let me know if you need additional help Good luck.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:56 PM   #3

Now that you mentioned it I do remember service tech saying that was the outside shower. Do you put RV antifreeze in the whole system or do you blow out system and just put in anti-freeze in traps? Is there anything I should know about taking water filtering cartiridge out? Have never dealt with this.

Thanks again

Alaska6580
Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 PM   #4

I put it in the whole system the last couple of Winters in Iowa have been very cold and I didn't want to take a chance of some water being trapped some where and freezing. On the filter after you take the filter out put an empty plastic pop bottle in the filter holder to take up space so you don't use so much anti-freeze.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice on the pop bottle. I wouldn't have thought about that. As long as I don't have the pump on water won't run out when I take the water system apart will it? Where's the best place to buy the pump for putting anti-freeze in system? Will pumping into city intake also put anti-freeze into the water pump?

Thanks,
alaska6580
Old 09-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #6

You can get a small hand pump at Walmart, hardware store or any RV supply, I would run the pump for a little while to get some of the water out of the system before trying to remove the filter. I'd also run it for a while to get some of the anti-freeze into the pump itself.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #7

Do you leave your batteries in or take them out for winter storage?

Alaska6580
Old 09-23-2015, 11:21 AM   #8

I leave them in, I try to run the generator a couple of times a month during the Winter just to make sure it operating ok incase I need it. And I will turn the engine over at lease once a month.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:18 PM   #9

Do you have a gas or diesel engine?
Old 09-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaska6580 View Post
Thanks for the advice on the pop bottle. I wouldn't have thought about that.
Maybe want to fill it up with some dirt and rocks to give it a little weight. That way when you take the housing apart, it doesn't shoot out at you.

Tags
winter, winterize