Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2019, 05:15 PM   #1

Install Black and Grey dump Valves- Help!

I removed the black and grey tank dump valves as the black valve was not closing fully. Now that they work properly I am struggling to reinstall the 2 valves. Assembling the black valve first there is no space to slide the grey valve in. Need suggestions on how to install, one idea I had was to loosen the support screws for the grey tank to allow me to move the pipe so I can slide in the grey valve, any suggestions or hints are appreciated.
Rickygar63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 05:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickygar63 View Post
I removed the black and grey tank dump valves as the black valve was not closing fully. Now that they work properly I am struggling to reinstall the 2 valves. Assembling the black valve first there is no space to slide the grey valve in. Need suggestions on how to install, one idea I had was to loosen the support screws for the grey tank to allow me to move the pipe so I can slide in the grey valve, any suggestions or hints are appreciated.
I think you’ve already figured it out.
Old 06-03-2019, 05:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm-dee View Post
I think you’ve already figured it out.

Thank you for your quick response! This rig is a 2014 Solera, never did I think that installing the valves would require loosening the support bolts for the tank! I will place a jack under the tank to support it while the bolts are loose, of course the tank is empty.
Old 06-03-2019, 07:35 PM   #4

Black & Grey Valves

I have a 2013 Solera 24R and my black valve wound completely close either. What I found was some of glue they use to assemble the valve assembly got into the grove of shut off. Cleaned it out and it worked fine after that.
RJJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 08:03 PM   #5

RJJB- I agree and had the same glue problem by my black valve, some toilet paper was trapped by the glue and then interfered with the valve closing. Alert to others, prior to removing these valves reach into the valve to attempt to clear it or back flush the valve. Thanks for mentioning this!
Old 06-04-2019, 01:29 PM   #6

Black & Gray valves auto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickygar63 View Post
RJJB- I agree and had the same glue problem by my black valve, some toilet paper was trapped by the glue and then interfered with the valve closing. Alert to others, prior to removing these valves reach into the valve to attempt to clear it or back flush the valve. Thanks for mentioning this!

Has anyone install the automatic valves. Are they worth it’s? Are affective?
alicemerrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #7

No "TP" anywhere near

This is the very reason there was a long standing RULE in my parents RVs and since in mine that NO toilet paper is put into the pottie!!! It is placed into a bucket with a lid (and emptied often) next to the potty.

Especially the amount used by some, (as in kids who often use at least a half a roll per sitting to get squeaky clean...)

Because eventually it hardens in layers right under the throne...and then dries after the fluids are evacuated.

Some...my Wifeepoo (and others) think I am being entirely unreasonable. Especially those who have never had an infant, or dumped holding tanks from an rv, or even had to 'unstop' a toilet in their own home. Or had to (shudder the thought) "use" a porta potty, outhouse, or the "woods".

Since 'Roto Rooter' came along, most live, (aside from a few 'toots') a fragrant existence!

Actually rv's are simply luxurious rolling porta potties (with a bed, kitchen and living room attached...)
Izzymovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzymovin View Post
This is the very reason there was a long standing RULE in my parents RVs and since in mine that NO toilet paper is put into the pottie!!! It is placed into a bucket with a lid (and emptied often) next to the potty.

Because eventually it hardens in layers right under the throne...and then dries after the fluids are evacuated.

WAIT, WAIT, WAIT Are you saying there is a bucket in your camper with paper that has poo on it? That must be way better than... Huh? Is the bucket In the camper? Why have a toilet? Use the bucket.

How would the toilet paper ever "dry" in a black tank? Leave 5 gals in black tank and let it slosh around while traveling. We've been using paper for over 15 years w/o issue.... 15 years of that bucket would... OMG.

Sorry, I'm with your family on this. And just because your dad did something is no reason to continue to do something unsanitary (fecal spores).
BigRockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:33 PM   #9

Quote:

Especially the amount used by some, (as in kids who often use at least a half a roll per sitting to get squeaky clean...)

Some...my Wifeepoo (and others) think I am being entirely unreasonable. Especially those who have never had an infant, or dumped holding tanks from an rv, or even had to 'unstop' a toilet in their own home. Or had to (shudder the thought) "use" a porta potty, outhouse, or the "woods".

Since 'Roto Rooter' came along, most live, (aside from a few 'toots') a fragrant existence!

Actually rv's are simply luxurious rolling porta potties (with a bed, kitchen and living room attached...)
Most things mentioned are possible but only for those who don’t properly maintain the system or train the children. Over many years I’ve never encountered any of those things.

But I do know that folks who put used TP in a container have an RV that smells like an outhouse.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #10

Yes. The paper is placed in a sealed container. My RV does not stink because I do not put TP in the pot, and it does not stink because of the TP in the container. It is sealed. Then it is emptied often.

It just makes the dumping/emptying easier, and does not 'foul' up the poo valves/slides or the tank itself. Placing TP in a container helps avoid TP problems in slide valves and tanks. And yes it is kept in a sealed container next to the pot until emptied. And we never had problems with poo tanks or valves or the stink. Thank you very much...and have fun with the valve! You'll get real good at cleaning the paper out of the slides after a while.
Izzymovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:52 PM   #11

Quote:
Yes. The paper is placed in a sealed container. My RV does not stink because I do not put TP in the pot, and it does not stink because of the TP in the container. It is sealed. Then it is emptied often.

It just makes the dumping/emptying easier, and does not 'foul' up the poo valves/slides or the tank itself. Placing TP in a container helps avoid TP problems in slide valves and tanks. And yes it is kept in a sealed container next to the pot until emptied. And we never had problems with poo tanks or valves or the stink. Thank you very much...and have fun with the valve! You'll get real good at cleaning the paper out of the slides after a while.
This is my eighth RV. Have always used the toilet as a toilet. Never have, never will put used toilet paper anywhere but in the pot. After I dump and flush I add about 5 gallons of water to the black tank. No problems, never replaced a valve. I bet there are thousands and thousands of others that do it the same way.
Level up, dual panes & all that stuff...
GOTTOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 04:57 PM   #12
D W

Quote:

Oh my! This is just wrong seven ways from Sunday. Let me count the ways,...No,... never mind.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 07:09 PM   #13

I have to side with the folks who say to learn how to use the toilet and properly flush the black tank. I am to blame for the stuck TP as I did not properly flush the tank, had I thought about it I should have put on gloves and cleared the valve to fix the problem. I do not support keeping a dedicated bucket for used TP in the bathroom, if you wipe with it I recommend you flush it. Also recommend filling the toilet with water prior to using. Good luck all. My repair is complete and I am ready for our next trip!

Tags
black, valve