Old 04-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #1

Internal TPMS

I am considering a TPMS for my Solera. I think I would like the internal to the tire system. Anyone have any experience and recommendations for this system on their Solera?

Old 04-20-2014, 01:50 PM   #2

The batts are a pain to change. They have a Cleaner look though! Youroo!!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:07 PM   #3

Youroo, do you have a particular system you recommend? Anyone else!
Old 04-25-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Keith

Internal TPMS

I only purchase my pre-owned 2010 Solera a month ago and am in the process of getting mods done, but I purchased the Tire Minder TPMS for my unit.
I can't offer up any review yet as I'm waiting on delivery of my Tireman steel dually tire valves to replace the braided valve extensions currently on the coach.

When I get the Tireman valves in I'll install the Tireminder unit and post my experience with it.

BTW, the best mod I've made thus far is the Helwig sway bar with rear Bilstein shocks- huge difference in how the coach drives!!!

Thanks
Keith
2010 Solera S
Texas
Old 04-25-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

Squeezer, do you currently have steel valve stems on your RV or is the system you are getting from Tire man include them? Mine are rubber and would need to be replaced in order to mount the TPMS sensors.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Keith

TPMS System

It appears the valve stems are rubber with the braided extensions installed when the unit was new?

I called the Tireman (Chuck) after reading much info on the Skinnie Winnie forum.
The guy has been in the tire biz for 43 years and has sooooo much info to share if you have time to talk to him.
Thanks
Keith
Old 04-25-2014, 10:24 AM   #7

Thanks Keith.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

Just bought the TST internal sensors at Christmas time for my 29' trailer. I only changed out one side at a time, and had to drop off 2 tires at a time to the shop and then pick them up. Needless to say, 4 trips to the tire shop was a bit much just for some sensors. But after having seen so many friends with thousands of dollars of damage from one blown tire - it was worth the investment to prevent such cost plus time sitting on the roadside to replace blown tires.

Some of these internal sensors can be detected 30 ft away, others only about 6ft away. I ended up with 2 repeaters (one on each side) within 4ft of every tire. I also installed a switch to only turn on the repeaters when I want (so it isn't on all the time when camping). These sensors are great because they will monitor temperature too. The one common theme from tire manufacturers is that catastrophic failures are the result of high temperature - these sensors monitor both temp and pressure. I trust temperature sensing of internal sensors over external sensors.

I contacted TST directly and they threw in one repeater (after some begging).

The one concern was that the sensors seem to drop out every so often. TST said their sensors operate on the same frequency as many remote weather monitoring stations - sure enough I have a Oregon Scientific remote temp sensor that was on the same frequency. I haven't taken a trip yet with the temp sensor batteries removed - will find out next weekned how that helps. The TST folks have been very responsive and great to work with.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:36 PM   #9

I called the Tireman today. Very informative!
Thanks again Keith,
Mike
Old 04-30-2014, 02:31 PM   #10
Keith

Glad you were able to speak to Chuck. So knowledgeable and very pleasant to chat with. I received my Tireman valves within the time he promised and having them installed this Friday. The braided extensions are leaking badly, so the timing of this installation couldn't be better!
Keith