Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Is chassis battery charged when connected to shore power?

Just curious if the chassis battery on a 2011 Solera is charged when the coach is connected. System is stock dual coach battery setup.
Ogsarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
Commercial Member

The chassis battery is not connected to the coach portion per Mercedes.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #3

In the Roadtrek Sprinter van based products, the chassis electrical system is connected with the house battery via battery separator. This allows the house batteries to be charged when driving. I thought that was how the Solera was designed. Am I wrong?
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Commercial Member

No, sorry I was thinking about the emergency start. We can send power (and do) via the converter. We can't take power (via emergency start switch) from the chassis battery.

So to clarify, the house batteries charge off the alternator when power is available and the chassis battery charges off of the converter when plugged in or running gen.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:48 AM   #5

I was checking my batteries the other day and decided to check the chassis battery for the first timeas it is kind of hard to get to. I was suprised to see the the chassis battery was a dry cell where the coach are not. It does make it easier to service I guess?
Old 02-10-2013, 06:24 PM   #6

Hi, I have a 2013 Solera. I would like to clarify what battery is being charged - the thread still confuses me. The house battery (interior lights, furnace fan, etc) is being charged when plugged into shore power, running the generator, and when the vehicle is running. Is that correct?
If I understand bclemens reply - The chassis battery (engine battery) is being charged when the vehicle is running, when the coach is plugged into shore power, and when the generator is running. If so - then both house and coach batteries are being charged with the same 3 kinds of power input. Is this correct?

I have a trickle charger plugged into the house batteries during the winter. I understand that this does not charge the chassis battery.

If I run the DVD or music from the i-pad this draws from the house battery - which I can monitor from the panel. I want to be sure I am not draining the vehicle battery if I were to use these devices.

Thanks for any clarification. New to RV's and it's still a mystery. Steve
steveboise6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #7

Steve

I asked this question before also. What I understand about it is the chassic battery is connected to the coach batteries and it's on a trickle charge from the converter. The convert will charge the coach battery at full charge untill fully charged then will cut back to a tickle. This is my understanding of the system. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #8

There was a post on this before:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rge-30420.html

Hope that helps.
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:46 PM   #9

That's the one I started awhile back on the topic.

Tags
battery