Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #1

Is Running the gen OK while driving, really?

Just did some searching on some of the older Solera threads re running the
genset that was loaded up with the coach A/C while tooling down the I-State, or wherever. Is this fairly foolproof after all? Seems like many of you do this to augment the MB A/C (which we agree is very adequate!) esp. on a very hot & humid summer day. Tho it's an expensive way to cool the interior of the coach while driving I also realize that there are MANY personal reasons for doing this considering other passengers "in" the coach...I understand! BUT, my question is simply this...

Were these generators "made" to take the rock-and-rolling of the MH insofar as supplying adequate lubrication from the sump area? You know, not overheat, burn up...OR start a fire from the bottom up? I thought I've seen a few video's on this problem previously? I maintain my generator and ALWAYS check the oil level before using it...never have had a problem with the level being low. Of course, the FIRST time I DON'T check it then that's when the problem will arise and I know many of you whom DO NOT faithfully check it! I also check the MB engine oil before I move it too, btw! That engine is traditionally too darned expensive to screw up! So...

Any thoughts here on this would make me feel at least more-or-less confident depending how the explanation goes...how 'bout gratiated then?
(I normally just need the MB A/C as it does a great job for my wife and I plus pooch who is tethered on the floor behind us (happily too!) and am merely
thinking down the pike for that extra hot day when we would be tempted to
turn it all on...)...hah. Looking forward to a beautiful Autumn and weather = prime time for camping by far! Enjoy all!!
Old 09-07-2015, 03:00 PM   #2

Yep. Done it on several occasions as well. Although, the cab a/c on recycle seems to take the edge off pretty well.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
Just did some searching on some of the older Solera threads re running the
genset that was loaded up with the coach A/C while tooling down the I-State, or wherever. Is this fairly foolproof after all? Seems like many of you do this to augment the MB A/C (which we agree is very adequate!) esp. on a very hot & humid summer day. Tho it's an expensive way to cool the interior of the coach while driving I also realize that there are MANY personal reasons for doing this considering other passengers "in" the coach...I understand! BUT, my question is simply this...

Were these generators "made" to take the rock-and-rolling of the MH insofar as supplying adequate lubrication from the sump area? You know, not overheat, burn up...OR start a fire from the bottom up? I thought I've seen a few video's on this problem previously? I maintain my generator and ALWAYS check the oil level before using it...never have had a problem with the level being low. Of course, the FIRST time I DON'T check it then that's when the problem will arise and I know many of you whom DO NOT faithfully check it! I also check the MB engine oil before I move it too, btw! That engine is traditionally too darned expensive to screw up! So...

Any thoughts here on this would make me feel at least more-or-less confident depending how the explanation goes...how 'bout gratiated then?
(I normally just need the MB A/C as it does a great job for my wife and I plus pooch who is tethered on the floor behind us (happily too!) and am merely
thinking down the pike for that extra hot day when we would be tempted to
turn it all on...)...hah. Looking forward to a beautiful Autumn and weather = prime time for camping by far! Enjoy all!!
Yes. Have run a number of rv gensets ( diesel, gas, lp ) for many hours at a time going down the road here in the Sunny South to power roof air on my previous Class A's before we downsized to the MBS this year. Never had a problem.
'16 Forester MBS 2401R
Hellwig 7254, TireMinder A1A & Sumo Equipped
jdyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Yep. Done it on several occasions as well. Although, the cab a/c on recycle seems to take the edge off pretty well.
OK SK! Sounds encouraging...tho as you say running the A/C on recycle really must bring it down (quickly) and seems to make it fairly cold(no humidity enters
from the outside). Recycling the entire coach shud be even better esp. with the overhead A/C churning away too! Hmmmm...good point on both counts.
Old 09-07-2015, 09:58 PM   #5

Reefer trucks have been doing it for years.
Phinias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 12:38 PM   #6

generator while tooling down the pike...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phinias View Post
Reefer trucks have been doing it for years.
Holy crap! You're right! Forgot about that one-yipes! Thanks for jiggling my
brain. Good one, and THAT'S what makes this site great. I just love it when someone comes in with the simple, one-liner, explanation...and ends it all lol!

Thank you Phinias..."crow" ain't too tasty
Old 09-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #7

Another thought, I use an adjustable 12 fan at the dash and point to the back to cool the 2 dogs. Does a good job with unit on recycle.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:48 PM   #8

I always run the generator when driving the motorhome. We usually run the A/C, satellite antenna for dishnetwork and refrigerator.

Jaime
Brake Buddy Stealth
jgallego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #9

After all, that is a major reason they are installed in motorhomes. They're economical to run for the comfort and usage they provide. Sometimes run mine 12 hours straight between destinations. Keeps the kiddies and adults alike happy with a cool environment to watch movies etc. to pass the time.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #10

Gender underway

Yep. Been doing it for 13 plus years. Uses 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon an hour depending on genset load. Comfort is important. ( Onan 5.5)
1nshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #11
7 Year Class A RV'er

Living in Central Florida there's hardly a time of year that we leave the drive with the Class A that the gen is not running. Same with our last RV. Fuel consumption is minimal and comfort is greatly increased. Also, when you read about folks complaining how their AC doesn't cool very well, I can't help but wonder just how hot they let the coach and everything in it heat up before they turned on the air and tried to cool it down. So far as oil, if you have a gen with a pressurized lube system it's no different than the chassis engine. If it's a sump style lube, sloshing is what makes it work anyway. I think you'll be very surprised how much nicer warm weather travels are with the gen going.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:09 PM   #12

When we bought a new class c, the dealer told us to use the genset. He said the MTBF ( mean time between failure) is 3,500 hours. Not using it does more harm than using it. At 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour, it is cheap to run.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 10:34 PM   #13

We run our propane generator under load (Coach AC on) for about an hour just about every time we drive our rig. I was told that the best maintenance for a generator is regular use.

2015 Solera 24R

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:38 PM   #14

Running the genet while driving is one of the perks of traveling in a motor home. Just have to be mindful of changes in altitude, because they are typically "naturally aspirated" without the benefit of having a mixture control inside the coach (pilots will understand that). Ours just sips gas, but I turn it off when we are getting near the 1/4 tank mark, because the feed sits higher than that of the engine. The other advantage is that on a long uphill pull, like I-15 toward Las Vegas, where you have 10 to 16 miles of steady uphill, and over 100 on the desert floor, you can keep the coach comfortable, while you turn off the engine A/C to maximize fuel consumption (in a gas engine).
Timmy Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 03:09 PM   #15

Actually, I do know what you mean re the fuel mix control, even w/o gnd school that I took a long time ago. Nonetheless, my setup uses the LP feed (8 gal tank I think?) in my Solera 2011 and wonder how long I could run it full tilt using the coach Air as an adjunct to the dash A/C? If any one knows I'd be interested as I haven't had to do "that" yet tho I feel it's longer that I think probably? I do notice that LP-fed gensets do not have to worry about adjusting the air mix as is on the gas variety...the adjustment meter knob is absent.

Hah...last time I was on that I-15 gig towards L.V. and then on into L.A. was way back when I was a kid in the back seat of my folks "Comet" wagon (60's?). No A/C and hotter than Hades of course but we did have an air-fed, water-filled "air"conditioner (cooler) hanging off the window glass and blasting humidified,
cool air into the car...worked fairly well but always had to refill when dried out...
Old 09-10-2015, 04:18 PM   #16

Same Here

Like many of you, we run our gen and roof A/C while traveling, and don't even bother with the dash/floor unit. We and our dog stay nice and cool.

Ours has the heat pump A/C, and we've used it several times the past two months at some of the high altitude campsites. Works great, and we aren't burning any propane like we would if we used the furnace. We plan on camping in cold weather this year, and may well travel with it on, too, just like the A/C for cooling, but to keep the motorhome warm. Love the generator!

2016 Coachman Leprechaun, 319DS, Motorhome, Dodge Durango Toad
Badlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 05:47 PM   #17
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixelbum1 View Post
.... Nonetheless, my setup uses the LP feed (8 gal tank I think?) in my Solera 2011 and wonder how long I could run it full tilt using the coach Air as an adjunct to the dash A/C? If any one knows I'd be interested as I haven't had to do "that" yet tho I feel it's longer that I think probably? ...
Believe the Solera propane capacity is 9.8 gallons (tank "water capacity" ~12 gallons). Believe generator consumes by spec 0.6 gallons per hour at half power (about what my 13.5 AC uses; don't know what the larger AC consumes). Result is I should get about 16 hours run time assuming AC never cycles; longer with AC cycling.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:29 AM   #18

Gens usually have low oil/over heat shut off.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote