Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Stay Classy San Diego

Is This a Good Deal?

I'm so glad I found this forum. I've learned so much already!

We are looking at the Solera, both the MS and the S. We haven't made a final decision as both would suit our needs. Leaning towards the M as the Serta looks great. We have been given a price of $77,424 for either, our choice. They are taking our car in trade for $15,000, which is about what we could sell it outright for. That also saves us on sales tax.

Options are: full body paint, SE package, water filter system, cm detector, back up camera (not side cameras though) and fantastic fan. They say there is no charge for the full body paint, as they (the dealer) was not charged for it. I think that since they didn't pay for the full body paint, the price should come down more.

Lewis RV has one coming in that we can have for $67,900. No full body paint but the rest seems similar. That is the amount quoted, but I haven't done the 'dance' with them yet. They may come down? But that makes it seem like my local dealer is charging me almost $10,000 for the full body paint that they "aren't charging me" for, lol.

I would love to have your opinions and advice on this. We have no problem driving to Lewis RV or any other dealer that sells the Solera. We will go to Hershey in the Fall is necessary.

Thanks for your help!
Merry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #2

A good deal is one where you are happy with the handling by the dealer and don't feel cheated by the price you pay.

For me the dealer is important as you likely will go there again and want them to treat you well in case something requires a fix (in or after warranty) - if there is no local shop because people don't purchase there to save $5 then we all loose.

If the difference is significant (to you) the equation changes. I would feel ripped off.

In your case you get a real apples to apples comparison. Mine showed the Forest River Invoice (list price - nit his discounted price) with the quote - so there where no surprises. I did price compare and he was reasonable on his final price he quoted me. The invoice will show if he was charged and if so how much.

Around 70k seems to be the current price to expect.

Reiner
Old 07-12-2012, 02:46 PM   #3

I would get the side cameras added. They are nice to have when changing lanes.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 PM   #4
Stay Classy San Diego

Papap, I don't see on the website where side cameras are an option, although I know they are. Our salesman said he just sold one that had them. I would do them aftermarket, is that what you meant? Do you have them?

Reiner I guess that is the problem - I do feel a bit 'ripped off' or taken advantage of. The price is still being negotiated so I am hoping to get it down closer to something that starts with a 6

Thanks for your replies
Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 PM   #5

Got mine through Lewis RV

I'd go with Lewis RV - I did and they treated me very well. They do a huge internet sales business and we found it paid to fly into Dayton and drive the Solera home. Got a good walk-through and very decent follow-up when needed questions answered. Paid very little over the dealer invoice which we were shown. The full body paint looks nice but doesn't add much to your camping experience - most quotes we received for it were around $6000 and I passed on it.
RSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #6

I bought mine with 4000 miles on it. They work great.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap
I would get the side cameras added. They are nice to have when changing lanes.
When we bought ours they did not exist and i don't miss them or think they add value on a 24' rig.

Rwiner
Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry

Reiner I guess that is the problem - I do feel a bit 'ripped off' or taken advantage of. The price is still being negotiated so I am hoping to get it down closer to something that starts with a 6

Thanks for your replies
I guess you answered your own question then.

Reiner
Old 07-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #9

I can tell you. On the right side you have a blind spot with just mirrors. Very easy to hid someone while trying to change lanes without side cameras. I think they are well worth the extra money.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Stay Classy San Diego

If it came with the side cameras, that would be great but it just has the back up camera. I am happy with the convex mirrors and think they will be fine. We did look at a Class A that had the side ones and I liked them on a rig that size.

We ended up working the numbers and buying from our local dealer. We are very happy with the deal. It was through RVDirect but they have a local dealership in Buffalo and they had the unit we wanted in stock so we didn't have to order one.