Old 04-25-2013, 09:55 PM   #1

It's about time

Finally took the cover off of the Solera today. Had a few things to fix from the winter, but just minor problems with quick fix's. Plan to change the oil tomorrow and will probably de-winterize it next week. As stated in the title (It's about time).

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #2

:-D

Old 04-26-2013, 05:01 PM   #3

Got the oil changed today very easy task oil pan is right up front and the filter is pretty easy to get to also. You do need a filter wrench to get the cap off of the filter chamber. Also remembered to reset the maintenance program on the dash, again very easy to do yourself.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #4

I've got an appointment to take ours to the Sprinter dealer on Wednesday for our 10,000 mile maintenance. That will be our first oil change. And I admire you, doing it yourself. About the most I can do is add the DEF myself! Wish I was a bit more mechanically inclined.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #5

Thank you Deb, My dad got me a job in a filling station after I got out of H.S. which helped me a lot on working with vehicles.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I've got an appointment to take ours to the Sprinter dealer on Wednesday for our 10,000 mile maintenance. That will be our first oil change. And I admire you, doing it yourself. About the most I can do is add the DEF myself! Wish I was a bit more mechanically inclined.
Deb: If you are taking it to a dealer, I'd suggest you purchase the oil and filter elsewhere; then they charge you only for the labor. You'll probably save a ton of money vs. what the dealer will charge yo for the oil/filter. Be sure you get the M-spec oil.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

just a fyi some shops charge a higher hourly rate if you bring your own parts.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrunning View Post
just a fyi some shops charge a higher hourly rate if you bring your own parts.
You're probably right about that. I always provide oil for my personal vehicles (Mobil1). For instance, my Jeep dealer charges $9.00 for the change if I provide the parts - I think it's like $68.00 if he provides the parts. I watch Advance Auto ads and buy the oil & filter on specials - usally for around $40 for both.

Just depends on the dealer, and MB dealers may be less likely to offer deals! Worth a call first and ask what they charge if owner provides parts!
Old 04-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #9

By the way. Amazon has a special running right now on the Mobil 1 ESP M-spec oil. There's a $12.00 rebate for an order of 5 quarts, $24.00 for 10 quarts. I just ordered 2 cases of 6 quarts each - works out to $34.40/case or $5.75/quart. The rebate is $15 if you order a mobil 1 Filter, but I prefer to use the OEM spec filter.

If you're buying oil for the MB Diesel, this is the ONLY Mobil1 that meets he MB specification. Heck of a deal! Includes free shipping! Download the rebate form from the Amazon page.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorgso View Post
By the way. Amazon has a special running right now on the Mobil 1 ESP M-spec oil. There's a $12.00 rebate for an order of 5 quarts, $24.00 for 10 quarts. I just ordered 2 cases of 6 quarts each - works out to $34.40/case or $5.75/quart. The rebate is $15 if you order a mobil 1 Filter, but I prefer to use the OEM spec filter.

If you're buying oil for the MB Diesel, this is the ONLY Mobil1 that meets he MB specification. Heck of a deal! Includes free shipping! Download the rebate form from the Amazon page.
Thanks!