Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM   #11

Hi Papap. I'm from Lafayette originally but moved up near Hot Springs, AR about 17 years ago.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:27 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Would using a smart phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot be an alternative to an aircard ?? I am totally in the dark with all of this.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Would using a smart phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot be an alternative to an aircard ?? I am totally in the dark with all of this.
Hi mtnguy. I believe a smart phone would be similar to my blackberry bold 9000 in the sense that it can access the internet. I've found that my bb's internet is very limited which is why I chose the aircard for use with my laptop.

I believe the smart phone could be used as an alternative to the aircard and the wilson booster would enhance your signal. I chose to NOT use a wifi set up like that because others outside your RV, etc could utilize your wifi and use up your cellular data plan bytes if you leave it on. IMO
Old 11-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My cell phone seems to have decent download time, but not like DSL of course. My cellphone is supposed to be a secure Wi-Fi hotspot (with password), but I know things like that can be broken into. As far as others getting on my phone hotspot, I have an unlimited plan so that would not be a problem, but I wouldn't want someone else viewing my stuff.

Thanks for the info. The missus and I are looking into internet service for our travel needs, and want to make sure we come up with a viable system.

Old 11-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #15

Quote:
My cell phone seems to have decent download time, but not like DSL of course. My cellphone is supposed to be a secure Wi-Fi hotspot (with password), but I know things like that can be broken into. As far as others getting on my phone hotspot, I have an unlimited plan so that would not be a problem, but I wouldn't want someone else viewing my stuff.

Thanks for the info. The missus and I are looking into internet service for our travel needs, and want to make sure we come up with a viable system.
If you do have one of those unlimited plans, you may want to consider keeping it because I think most of the cell carriers are phasing it out. IMO Besides using up your data bytes, there's also the problem of when others are accessing the internet via your wifi hotspot, they are probably slowing your surfing down too somewhat. You probably are protected from that if you have an active password.

My air card costs ~ $70.00 per month for the maximum plan which is 6 GB per month. I have a corporate account with AT&T but I believe the personal/family plan is cheaper. I stayed with AT&T in spite of all the hassles because they still have the best coverage for all the areas I travel to. IMO Good luck!

BTW, I also use this air card at home through a USB port on my home PC. So I don't need any other ISP at home.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

I use a small local cell phone provider that uses their own towers, plus Sprint and Verizon towers. I have been with them for years, and have great cell phone coverage, including a trip to Kauai a few years back. 600 phone minutes per month (I usually come in under 30 minutes),free nights and weekends, free network mobile to mobiles (many friends and family with the same carrier), no roaming fees, free long distance, unlimited text messages and data for $80 per month. They also have an unlimited phone plan (with unlimited data and text), but roaming fees may apply, plus that plan does not include Verizon towers. I just signed up for this new plan on a 2 year contract, and had to pay $99 for a HTC Desire. I think I got a good deal.

That is why I am thinking about just using my cell phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. The missus has an Iphone through AT&T, but she is lacking for coverage many times that I have good signal.....and sometimes visa versa. She can't use her 3G Iphone for a Wi-Fi hotspot....I don't think her model offered that. Plus she has a limited data and text plan with her phone.

Old 11-08-2011, 09:05 AM   #17

Quote:
I use a small local cell phone provider that uses their own towers, plus Sprint and Verizon towers. I have been with them for years, and have great cell phone coverage, including a trip to Kauai a few years back. 600 phone minutes per month (I usually come in under 30 minutes),free nights and weekends, free network mobile to mobiles (many friends and family with the same carrier), no roaming fees, free long distance, unlimited text messages and data for $80 per month. They also have an unlimited phone plan (with unlimited data and text), but roaming fees may apply, plus that plan does not include Verizon towers. I just signed up for this new plan on a 2 year contract, and had to pay $99 for a HTC Desire. I think I got a good deal.

That is why I am thinking about just using my cell phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot. The missus has an Iphone through AT&T, but she is lacking for coverage many times that I have good signal.....and sometimes visa versa. She can't use her 3G Iphone for a Wi-Fi hotspot....I don't think her model offered that. Plus she has a limited data and text plan with her phone.
That sounds like a very good plan. I think I'd stay with it.
Old 11-08-2011, 10:22 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap View Post
Cajundjb. where do you live? I'm live in Lake Arthur, La.
best buy carries them, u may check in Lake Charles.

i use the Verizon myfi hot spot. 3g for ~$39/mo w/$10 for next g. (i also use it now for internet in Lk Ch rather than Hughes net).
beware of unlimited plans, they are usually only unlimited on their network. when roaming u may be limited to a couple hundred megs. found that out with the sprint air card that i had for years. got shut down last year in tenn at 300 meg.
phones used as hot spots usually have a limit also even if the phone data is unlimited. ie, verizon limits u to 2g when using it as a hot spot. data for the phone is still unlimited. there is also an extra charge to be able to use it as a hot spot. there are ways around it by reprogramming the phone but i suspect it is just a matter of time before they shut that down.
Verizon appears to have better coverage for data in the campgrounds we have used. sense the hot spot can be located for best sig, i haven't found a need for the booster.
by the way the (wilson) booster also gives u the benefit of an external antenna. that gives u an advantage over the hand held phone.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:29 PM   #19

I also bought one of these on our last summer trip and found it did work well in the right environment. However we found ourselves often exploring national parks and surrounding areas where there was no reasonable amount of signal to boost. Over the winter we installed a Motosat system on top of the Solera and so far it's been great. I often work from the road and found the stress of being offline the opposite of relaxing as I had to ponder if people were trying to reach me.