Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

Large Propane Leak

I just took my first trip in my new 2013 Solera. Took it to Key West and had a great time. I love the RV with the new Hellwig rear stabilizer bar installed.
When I went to the parking lot to leave, I heard a hissing sound from 30 feet away and smelled the propane. I closed the tank valve and the leak stopped.
Today the RV dealer told me the top propane regulator on the tank had cracked in half. Same thing on a Winnebago they were working on.
I'm glad this happened while parked outside. I store it inside normally. I think I will always close the tank valve when stored inside now for safety.
boats742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:48 PM   #2

Thanks for the heads up. I wonder since you mentions another occurance, whether there is a product defect. Bclemens, have you heard of anything on this, sounds serious.
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 08:17 PM   #3
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I wonder since you mentions another occurance, whether there is a product defect. Bclemens, have you heard of anything on this, sounds serious.
I doubt bclemens can comment on Winnebagos.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #4

Not the point. Bclemens is much closer to the RV industry than "us". I think that its an important issue to at least ask if he has heard anthing, within the industry, wouldn't you think thats a fair assumption. IMO
2012WhiteSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad

I doubt bclemens can comment on Winnebagos.
I think the OP stated he was in a 2013 Solera, Winnebago also woking the issue. It's a foreign based mfg of often failing regulators, normally cracked PRV diaphram.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

My regulator on my 2012 Sunseeker went bad. There are several threads on the forum with people having the same problem. There obviously is a manufacturing defect. After I replaced mine I bought a spare to carry with me just in case, although the replacement has already outlasted the original one.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Just wondering here?,how many out there leave their LP tanks on all the time? I always shut my off after a trip and when not in use.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
Just wondering here?,how many out there leave their LP tanks on all the time? I always shut my off after a trip and when not in use.
Mine are off unless I am using them I even turn them off when we leave the trailer for long, same goes for the water.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:36 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkreck View Post
I don't have a motorhome, but in general my propane gets turned on at my first camping trip and off at the last one and rarely in between.
Old 12-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #10
phat phrog stunt crew

Off when not in use. Since I have to turn on each and every time, I get the chance to inspect it often.
dwaynerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:38 PM   #11

I've never turned mine off. Wouldn't know where to even look to do it! Guess I better find out.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I've never turned mine off. Wouldn't know where to even look to do it! Guess I better find out.
One is off and the other is on until it is empty, then it's closed and the other opened while the other is being filled. Once filled, it is left closed until the other is empty...

One tank is always on.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
One is off and the other is on until it is empty, then it's closed and the other opened while the other is being filled. Once filled, it is left closed until the other is empty... One tank is always on.
Ok, now I'm super confused - there are two propane tanks in a Solera?
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:58 PM   #14

Mine is off unless we are using heat or the cooktop. 80% of our trips usually start with a tunnel transit so the propane is off by DOT regulation.
Hampton Roads VA
2016 174 Days camping, 2017 66 days 2018 24 days 2019 48 days 2020 25 days 2021 6
mogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Ok, now I'm super confused - there are two propane tanks in a Solera?
Sorry, I have a 5ver. Should have seen the post was in the Solera. My bad.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:31 AM   #16

There is only one tank on the Solara and usually only one on motor homes.
Displaced2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:02 AM   #17

Always stored off after returning from trip....
Campster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 AM   #18

Quote:
Open the outside access door marked "Propane"

The shut-off valve is on the tank, round gold knob about the size of a silver dollar. Turn all the way right to close (but not too tight).
Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
I have not heard or seen any large scale issues nor recall mumblings. I saw a few this year, enough to prompt a call to "carfagna"??? the regulator mfg to figure out if they had any issues.

Have heard nothing since. Sounds like if there was an issue it seemed to be a small batch or we would have heard many more. I'll pose the question again and see if they narrowed anything down.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
I have not heard or seen any large scale issues nor recall mumblings. I saw a few this year, enough to prompt a call to "carfagna"??? the regulator mfg to figure out if they had any issues.

Have heard nothing since. Sounds like if there was an issue it seemed to be a small batch or we would have heard many more. I'll pose the question again and see if they narrowed anything down.
Here's another thread on the forums about leaking regulators.... Should I have both replaced with a different manufacturer?

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ing-42040.html

Tags
leak, propane