Old 02-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #1

Leaking

Anyone have leaking after a rain storm
It doesn't leak while we r set up, only when it's been sitting closed up and we take off
I noticed seals were improperly installed on slide and dealer fixed and tested unit,said it was leakproof but just returned from a trip and it did rain and when I went up a steep hill, a wall of water came down over right side, and landed in the step,but the roof inside felt dry
Just want to know what to tell service manager

Old 02-10-2013, 07:10 PM   #2

Where is the leak at? I don't quite understand that part.

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #3

That is the issue

I think there is a leak in the roof and it pools in the fiberglass cap and when I accelerate the water comes into the cab
The dealer couldn't find the issue because he said it didn't leak
I was just wondering if anyone else had leak issues
Maybe the air conditioner
I just don't want a mold issue
Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #4

The leak can be any where as the roof is a big sandwich and the soft ceiling holds the moisture from any leak. Closed cell foam is sandwiched under the fiberglass between two layers of luan. Under that is the soft ceiling consiting of about 1/4 inch of open foam glued to the lower layer of luan and the ceiling material is glued under that. The water accumulates between the ceiling and the lower layer of luan in that 1\4 inch layer of foam. Under acceleration or deceleration the water travels through the foam to the first opening it can find. In this case it was down over the front of the forward TV when braking. The water was geeting in in two places. One was through the cap for the satellite cable. The through hole in the roof was not sealed and the water was getting through the vent cap installed over it and running down the channel for the sat cable.
Another leak was found under the rotating plate of the crank up antenna. The "O" ring under the plate had failed. Only a small leak but over time a significant amount of water collected and same thing down over the TV or down the driver side window. Also check the seal along the edge of the roof where it joins the side wall. That joint is covered with a metal strip that goes over the fiberglass roof and over the side wall. Since it goes over both any crack in the sealant on the roof joint can allow water to get under that strip and inside the side wall. According to FR factory rep the fiber glass roof now extends down over the side wall now making a much more effective seal. That change I believe was made in late 2012.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #5

Just looked at 2013 Model and indeed the fiber glass now extends down over the side wall.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:33 PM   #6

Mine is a 2013 bought sept 2012
I took it to storage but will call dealer tomorrow
He water tested for 2 hours but if leak is small and water accumulated over time maybe that's why he thought it was sealed
Old 02-11-2013, 10:30 PM   #7

Thank you for that info, I talked to service manager and when I bring it back he will reseal all the areas you mentioned and make sure there is no mold in that foam you mentioned
Luckily it rarely rains in San Diego
Old 05-02-2013, 12:54 PM   #8

Sandiegodoug, I live in Encinitas and bought my 2010 Solera from Holland Motorhomes in San Marcos. Did you get the water leak issue fixed? What dealer did you use? I have had a similar water leak issue running down the passenger side window. Only happened once, but now I'm thinking there is a leak from the roof somewhere.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #9

We got it fixed
Where it seeps in is the seal between the front cap and the coach. It slowly accumulates there and when I accelerated the water would travel from the bottom of the cap toward the rear and rain down behind the seats
The dealer resealed the roof with this putty looking stuff that comes in a roll and said it was a maintenance item I had to do Yearly but it hasn't leaked since
You could Easley do this yourself
Rv solution is our dealer and they stock the stuff
It looks like they applied it to all joints when I inspected
I live in pq but keep my unit at my friends house in jamul and they have gotten some pretty good downpours but no inside downpours since the reseal
Old 06-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #10

I think what this post is referring to is a leak in the Sprinter chassis front cab area roof, as opposed to the Forest River coach roof. I have this issue with my 2009. After a hard and/or driving rain, water gets into the cab area roof, apparently through an opening in the sealed/caulked joint where the coach front (below the cab-over bed) meets the cab roof. Water collects and ponds within the cab roof and then when I accelerate or take a corner it comes out - either raining down from the visor area, or the seat back (and my back)! I definitely need to address this with caulk or the above-mentioned putty!