Old 05-19-2014, 01:11 PM   #11

Welcome Doc, one question I have is are you dry camping or going to a camp ground? That would make a difference on needs also are you towing anything?

hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #12

First, we will be towing our jeep (TJ, Rubicon) - which we have long used for travel into gnarly areas and has multiple mods as well as recovery gear on-board, including on-board air compressor.

Second, it is now clear that we will need to limit the overnights, so as to be able to have - at the very least - electricity, as the temps would require continuous a/c. Or, in the alternative, we will need to plan to re-fill tanks on a daily basis if away from a hookup. Two or three days is ok for water/sewer, but we need a/c in those climes.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:12 PM   #13

Doc

Be carefully about the Solera's towing capacity as has been discussed on this forum several times. You might want to look that up on some of the previous threads. If you are looking for a good manual for equipment I got one from Camping World (Trailer Life's RV repair and maintenance manual) it covers a wide range of equipment how too's . Happy Camping.:-} Henry
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:14 PM   #14

First, every responder has both taken time and offered opinion. I appreciate that willingness.

Second, I will check out the reference(s) -- having found some things on the net. We intend to flat tow the jeep.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #15

Running genset

We only run gender while traveling with Grandkids. Other wise it is just wife and I. The cab ac is plenty

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #16

That's helpful, thanks. A large part of the reason we are doing this is that in our senior years we recently adopted two Princesses of Pomerania, when a niece passed away. Taking the little ones requires their own carriage, footman and maid.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:13 PM   #17

Doc,

Something else just occured to me. You are in Houston and Mount Zion NP is @ 1,400 miles away. You will find driving a RV to be slightly different than your car

You will find that gas milage decreases dramatically at speeds above 60MPH, and your RV is not going to get Prius-class milage anyway so, refuling stops will be more frequent (I will let other Solera owners chime in with their range) but for us, 300 miles = 1 tank of gas when I am driving flat and on 60MPH cruise control. You, however, will be pretty much driving uphill all the way to Utah so plan refueling accordingly.

Most RV'ers view anything over 400 or so miles a day pretty taxing - especially with your toad. So you are looking at 6 days of your 2 weeks just driving (3 up, 3 down). Just say'n.

The good news is you should be able to plan your trip and drive each day to a campground that has full hookups (and perhaps a swimming pool!)

Once you get to Zion, there are several RV Camps outside the Park. Inside the park, Watchman Campground (In Zion Canyon) has Electricity only and a central dump station.

And, if I were you I would pick the camps you want to stay at and reserve now!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:32 PM   #18

We tow a jeep jk rubicon with our
Solera. It weighs 4000 (soft top)
Only thing I would recommend is
Some so sort of auxiliary braking system. We towed it from San Diego to Oregon and back, no problems, 12-13mpg
Old 05-20-2014, 08:57 AM   #19

Thanks to all - I have reserved hookups on the way up and am working on possibles for the return...planning not more than 400m/day save for the first day from Houston to Palo Duro State Park which is 500 (and has only electricity and no sewer); thence to Gallup, Zion, Bryce, and ...maybe Moab, I'll start looking. Apparently the NP's around Moab have no hookups and in that heat, electricity may be essential. We have two diesel's now, and are accustomed to diesels; and the mileage (however bad) will still be better than the jeep! (It gets 12-13mpg.)
Old 05-20-2014, 02:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc_Floyd View Post
Thanks to all - I have reserved hookups on the way up and am working on possibles for the return...planning not more than 400m/day save for the first day from Houston to Palo Duro State Park which is 500 (and has only electricity and no sewer); thence to Gallup, Zion, Bryce, and ...maybe Moab, I'll start looking. Apparently the NP's around Moab have no hookups and in that heat, electricity may be essential. We have two diesel's now, and are accustomed to diesels; and the mileage (however bad) will still be better than the jeep! (It gets 12-13mpg.)
Afternoon Doc,

It was sorta buried in my post to you: Watchman Campground (In Zion Canyon) has Electricity only and a central dump station.

That will be your only option, but there are lots of private RV Camps outside the NP. They book quick though!

Used to live in NM! In Gallup, stay at the USA RV Park - it is right off I-40 and is a great "overnight" camp!

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
manual, manuals