Old 05-18-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Lease - suggestions, manuals?

In August, we are leasing a 2014 Solera for some two weeks -- not having leased or owned an RV in the past.

Aside from the chuckles this communication may generate, does anyone have suggestions as to sites that would provide more than the generic owners manual for the Solera (which I downloaded and bound)? I would not ordinarily imagine leasing a vehicle with drive train, electrical, plumbing, a/c, and slide systems, without more than a passing knowledge of such and am trying valiantly to get ahead of the game. This would include load issues, tools/jacks, etc. to take. We will travel about 3.5k miles from Houston to Zion NP and return. The specs would suggest limiting water capacity while underway due to weight issues, as the load capacity is not great. I have read no suggestions about loading, but would suspect that the large rear storage area is for bulky items, but not heavy ones; e.g. folding chairs, perhaps an empty water cooler, etc. Genset ops are a mystery, as I have seen nothing about it.

The company has not yet responded to questions such as whether they will provide or I need a donut, water pressure regulator, water filter, though I am purchasing my own water hose to store separately from any areas which may be contaminated.

flj

Old 05-18-2014, 01:37 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums Doc.
At first blush I imagine the leasing outfit has some sort of road service that comes with the lease price which should include but not limited to flat repair, plumbing and electrical problems.
Be sure you are provided a sewer hose and the information you will need to know BEFORE you pull out of their parking lot on how to dump and flush the tank and hose, think of it as if you were buying it.

Make then show you how every system works, again you are paying for it make them earn the money.

I do agree with buying a fresh water hose and suggest you buy a small tote with a snap on lid to store it in.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM   #3

Thanks, I had not thought of a small pvc container; though am making some scribbled lists of other items. Yep, they do provide roadside assistance, but I am skeptical as to time frames if we were on some lonesome road in northern AZ or southern UT.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:16 PM   #4
2015 Solera 24R

Doc, welcome! I couldn't find anyone close to KC to leave from, but I certainly thought about that option. After thoroughly researching the options... we just bought a Solera 24R (bed slides out the back). - Gary
Old 05-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #5

You are correct about the response time, some two decades ago I sat on the side of the road for 4 hours (yes I do remember the amount) waiting for a tire shop truck to show.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:48 PM   #6

Welcome to the forums Doc!
Sounds like you are in a try it before you buy it mode (i.e. See if RVing is for you!)

One thing a lot of new RVers have found out is if you get in a jam and yell for help, often times you will get a almost real-time response from forum members. So, keep this in mind and have a means of connecting to the Internet with you when you go on your journey (although in remote areas of AZ & UT Cellular/WIFI connections can be spotty.
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 2014 - 42 2015 - 56 Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 04:05 PM   #7

Just remember. If it is a propane gen set. Run tine is limited

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:26 AM   #8

Do you, or would another, have data on propane use, i.e. how long can the genset run without re-filling the tank? For example, if it runs for 24 hours run-time (I get 12 hrs/day and have purchased extra run-time), would I need to look for a propane refill?
Old 05-19-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
2012 Solera 24S

From a previous post by bclemens:

Assuming a propane gen uses .7 gallons per hour at full load and you can fill our 12 gallon tank to 80%, then you can run that gen for 13.7 hours. (12 x 0.8 = 9.6/0.7 = 13.7).

Onan Gen. deisel vs. propane
Old 05-19-2014, 11:43 AM   #10

Goodness! That means - in temps > 100 degrees, one may need at least daily refills! Okay. I presume there is no means of carrying a spare portable tank? Just how well does the vehicle's a/c system work while driving?

Tags
manual, manuals