Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #1

Left rear brake light stays on, and turn indicator not working

Our 24R Solera rear left brake light suddenly is on (with the MH being stored and not used for weeks), with the light being extra bright (ie as if the brake is pushed in), and the rear left hand turn signal also doesn't work. All other external lights/systems etc OK. At first I figured it was a bad brake light switch, but that doesn't account for the same turn signal light being down. Since this is 2 issues with the same bank of lights, I am struggling to pinpoint a cause.

Oh, and there are no error messages in the display and the OBDII scan came through clean.

All suggestions appreciated.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 PM   #2

Most likely related to the Curt tail light controller. The Curt controller handles both the rear lights on the motorhome and the lights on 7-way trailer connector...and has had lots of reported issues.

There's an outstanding recall on the controller, and this thread on the MBS forum will give you far more info than you possibly want:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...er-104116.html
See posts from the past few days for the latest in the ongoing saga...

Good luck!

Dave
Old 01-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
2012 Solera

Not sure when FR switched to the Curt controller. Your signature indicates you have a 2013. Our 2012 Solera "S" has a proprietary FR controller, mounted behind a panel in the services compartment above the sewer hose connections. I understand the Curt controller was typically mounted outside, behind the back bumper.
Problem does sound like a controller issue, although with the proprietary controller most reported problems were "no lights" (vs "lights won't turn off" with the Curt).
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 11:04 AM   #4

You don't have the Curt controller on your rig (unless it has been changed at some point). Your controller is located in the water pump compartment. Open the compartment door and you'll see it mounted on the aft wall to the right of the filter. The connections are all labeled, so you can unplug the one that's acting up so you don't drain your battery. Although it is possible that moisture and grit is making it act up, it's more likely that it will require replacement.

However, you might try this:
I would suggest going to the auto parts store and getting a spray can of electronics cleaner (I use QD Electronics Cleaner). Unhook your batteries and shore power. Put a rag underneath the controller to catch drips and thoroughly spray it with the cleaner, using the small spray tube to get inside the controller as best you can. Be liberal with the cleaner. This will help to get any dust build up and moisture out of it.

The cleaner evaporates quickly, but let it sit a while before reconnecting the power and keep your fingers crossed. Good luck!
barnbnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 03:54 PM   #5

And in the end, this happened

Thank you Barnbnb, for your long and detailed post. I do have an update.

You are correct, after wriggling around under the back of the MH, I figured that there was no Curt controller. This is our first MH, so I am struggling in the dark to wrap my head around, well, everything, but eventually realised that Curt was not the problem. I did indeed find the FR controller in the water pump compartment, along with a frozen and shattered pump filter container- which contained ice. The latter was caused by a prolonged cold spell in Seattle (of all places), which did bad things, and I was unaware of such trifles. I did find the fuse feeding the left rear light in this compartment, and disconnected it shutting the light off, while I licked my various wounds. I wondered if the destruction of the pump water housing had damaged the FR circuit board-which is right next to it, and yet again, pondered the situation, and wondered how to cope with the unkind fates.

Waiting for the new pump housing to arrive was a period of forced procrastination. Long story short- replacing the water housing and finding a burnt-out 10A fuse right next to the front of the pump, fixed the pump problem (my vision of burst pipes everywhere and big bills not realised). As the cold subsided, it did result in a lot of ice water draining down the pipe to the water filter housing, so the possibility of water contamination of the controller loomed large.

What finally happened, was, that as the weather warmed up, and with the passage of time, the rear light eventually “fixed itself”. Or the divine hand of God. Over a couple of weeks, the very bright light (combining brake and regular light with the ignition on), went to a smaller light in the centre, and, being flummoxed by the two simultaneous problems, I let benign neglect take its toll.

Voila! The rear light is now working fine, as are all the rear lights. How did this happen? I really don’t know, except that the weather finally warmed up above freezing. Since the rear light came on one day, in the middle of a freezing period, water itself is unlikely to be the cause.

Anyway, thanks for your detailed post, and I will be spraying cleaner as you suggest if it reappears. However, properly winterising the rig next winter will be top of my list.

Steve
Old 04-05-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

i had a problem where a rear brake light would only come on partially. diagnosis revealed a short in the connector for the tow vehicle lighting. taking apart the connector, and cleaning all contacts fixed the problem.
tommyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #7

If FR only would have only...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Not sure when FR switched to the Curt controller. Your signature indicates you have a 2013. Our 2012 Solera "S" has a proprietary FR controller, mounted behind a panel in the services compartment above the sewer hose connections. I understand the Curt controller was typically mounted outside, behind the back bumper.
Problem does sound like a controller issue, although with the proprietary controller most reported problems were "no lights" (vs "lights won't turn off" with the Curt).
When FR switched to the problematic CURT controller, if they would have only put the Curt where the old custom controller was I bet many of the failures could have been avoided, and doing relacements would have been easier because you would not be on your back facing the greasy-side of the RV.

All the wiring was already there, why didn't they leave it there ? To save wire ?
nusslejj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, light