Old 06-28-2013, 06:41 PM   #51

Has anybody tried those sicssor type screw jacks you see welded to the four corners of some travel trailers. I would assume two of those strategically placed in both rear corners of the Solera and a China Feight cordless drill motor, to activate the jack, might be a low cost solution. Any comments to this would be appreciated.

Old 06-29-2013, 10:29 AM   #52

Jacks

Jacksonian reason they would not work.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:44 PM   #53

Papa, translate to RV lingo please. Your speaking clingon dude!
Old 06-29-2013, 06:46 PM   #54

Lol

Not sure what appen there. Should be. No reason why they would not work.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012WhiteSolera View Post
Papa, translate to RV lingo please. Your speaking clingon dude!
Papa's got a brand new Bag! - a wierd spell checker!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:39 PM   #56
bmp

Hello. I'm new owner of a 2010 Solera SS24S on a 2008 Sprinter chassis. After about 15 nights camping around N. California (we "Summer" in the Sierra near Lake Tahoe) I'm already tired of blocks and wedges for leveling. And then there is the issue of stabilizing, which blocks and wedges do not address. So I've spent about two weeks haggling with the dealer that sold us the rig; researching online; and talking with Bigfoot. I'm about to push the "order now" button on the Quadra web site for the EZ four point (non-automatic) system but thought I'd share my findings and rationale with you folks before taking that final step.
1. The dealer will not install the 4-point system due to the issue with drilling or welding the frame for the front legs. I understand from Quadra that many have been installed up front without any frame issues -- at least to their knowledge.
2. The EZ non-automatic system uses only one tank that can be installed in almost any available space. The automatic system has a tank as part of each leg and causes all sorts or installation problems due to the lack of space. The single tank system takes a bit longer for the leveling process to be completed. But compared to blocks and wedges....
3. On some terrain, the system will lockup when the rear feet are within two inches of their maximum extension but have yet to make ground contact. The "work around" is to add blocks under the landing area and reset the the system.
4. The 4-point EZ package includes one supporting cross member. A second is recommend and only costs $75.00 when ordered with the $2,390 package.
5. All of the 4-point systems I've found, electric or hydraulic, cost about the same so using the one that Forest River has selected seems to make sense.

What am I missing?
Old 09-18-2013, 02:10 PM   #57

As far as I know, the only system forest river offered was the big foot system and it was not a leveling system but a stabilization system. The legs hung a little low for me so I'm using a couple of 4 ton jacks to stabilize . I agree using the giant Legos can be a pain but when camping in state parks with uneven sites I still see the rigs with the fancy leveling systems using blocks under the wheels and crawling under their rig to put blocks under the leveling system too. And I don't want to give up any ground clearance
Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmp View Post
Hello. I'm new owner of a 2010 Solera SS24S on a 2008 Sprinter chassis. After about 15 nights camping around N. California (we "Summer" in the Sierra near Lake Tahoe) I'm already tired of blocks and wedges for leveling. And then there is the issue of stabilizing, which blocks and wedges do not address. So I've spent about two weeks haggling with the dealer that sold us the rig; researching online; and talking with Bigfoot. I'm about to push the "order now" button on the Quadra web site for the EZ four point (non-automatic) system but thought I'd share my findings and rationale with you folks before taking that final step.
1. The dealer will not install the 4-point system due to the issue with drilling or welding the frame for the front legs. I understand from Quadra that many have been installed up front without any frame issues -- at least to their knowledge.
2. The EZ non-automatic system uses only one tank that can be installed in almost any available space. The automatic system has a tank as part of each leg and causes all sorts or installation problems due to the lack of space. The single tank system takes a bit longer for the leveling process to be completed. But compared to blocks and wedges....
3. On some terrain, the system will lockup when the rear feet are within two inches of their maximum extension but have yet to make ground contact. The "work around" is to add blocks under the landing area and reset the the system.
4. The 4-point EZ package includes one supporting cross member. A second is recommend and only costs $75.00 when ordered with the $2,390 package.
5. All of the 4-point systems I've found, electric or hydraulic, cost about the same so using the one that Forest River has selected seems to make sense.

What am I missing?
You might want to google stabi-lite or the PT-22 system (both are electric and made for the Sprinter chassis) for the stabilization part of the equation. I asked about them earlier on in this thread (no one addressed my question) and there is another thread about the Stabi-Lite recently.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #59

I have to agree leveling is a pain in the, But I have four bags of the lego blocks and a RV app on my ipod which has a level meter in the system. When I first park my rig I put the ipod in the frig. It show me how far off I am on each side then I go about using the blocks. It's worked great this last summer the app is called the RV companion. It also has an area for storing info about your rig.
hkreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 08:40 PM   #60

After a fair amount of research and three months of use, I have concluded that I really don't need levelers...especially at the price they want to install them. I have five plastic three-step blocks for leveling if things are too out of kilter. As for stabilizers, we don't seem to be bothered much by the coach rocking back and forth. It seems pretty stable.