Old 01-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

Looking for input on changing ceiling bulbs on fixture that spins with glass cover

Trying to replace to LED bulbs. Has anyone figured out a way to keep the ceiling light bases from spinning along with the glass cover on the SEL recessed lights, that come on the late 2012 Solera. I was sucessful on several of the fixtures, but a couple of them "spin" with the fixture itself not allowing the glass cover to seperate from the fixture.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:27 AM   #2
2012 Solera

On my 2012 Solera "S" with recessed glass lens lights, there are two types of fixtures. One has an all glass lens; the other (above bed and over medicine cabinet) has glass lens ringed with metal. On both types everything exposed turns together about 1/5 a turn counterclockwise(?) to release the lenses. The metal ring is part of the lens on those fixtures that have rings. Some of the metal ring type were so tight I used a screwdriver to gently pry the rings away from the ceiling slightly to get them to release. Good luck!

Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #3

The entire fixture (base and glass lens) spin on several lights, when trying to remove the glass lens. Since the glass lens is flush mounted to the ceiling, the problem is there is no clearance to get a grip on the base part to effect removal of the lens.

Has anyone expierenced this and come up with a solution to effect removal?
Old 01-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #4
2012 Solera

Again, referencing our Solera "S" with the "Special Edition Package" (glass light fixtures), the fixtures appear to be screwed to the ceiling with wood screws inserted from under the lens (screwed to the ceiling before the lens is installed). I believe only the wires go through the ceiling. If the fixture is "spinning" as you describe, and assuming you have the same light fixtures, the screws must be pulled out or missing. I would think you could then just pull the fixture straight down on the wire slack, then grab the back of the fixture and remove the lens. Good Luck!
Old 01-14-2013, 02:39 PM   #5

You are correct about the screws in some of the fixtures. Those are the ones in the vanity area as well cabinet bottoms. The ones I am referring to are flush mounted into the soft ceiling of the unit switched on by the kitchen and living room. I just looked and these fixtures do not have screws and are not designed for them due to the soft ceiling material.

Anybody who has a work around for this, would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #6
2012 Solera

You are right - the ones that gave me trouble were the "cabinet bottom" type. The "soft ceiling" ones I didn't have any trouble with. Sent a PM with some thoughts.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:37 AM   #7

I got one open by inserting the long thin blade of a pocket knife between the metal ring and the ceiling in such a way that it rests against the little notch of the fixture. That way you can prevent the fixture from spinning while undoing the glass.
However, on another one, I was not able to do it because the glass would not turn at all.
Old 01-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #8

I have fashioned or should I say bent up, using some heat to a pair of 90 degree needle nose pliers that should do the trick. I actually refashioned the handles to allow a grasp so as not to be in contact with the the ceiling.

Jleising thanks for the input on the configuration of the fixture housing. That makes perfect sense on why it would spin in the cut hole.

I'll let you know if the "tool" does the job.