Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2015, 12:25 AM   #1
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Low city water pressure

I'm connected to city water but the pressure is for some reason very low. Is it OK to turn on water pump or the pump only works with portable water? I know I can fill up the portable and use the pump safely if that's the only option.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:22 AM   #2

Pump only works for on board tank and should not be turned on when connected to city water.

Is low pressure from the source or do you have something blocking the flow?
Old 05-17-2015, 05:35 AM   #3

Check your filter or you may have a kinked hose
lwalkplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegjax View Post
Pump only works for on board tank and should not be turned on when connected to city water...
Why is that?
Old 05-17-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

The small regulators can get plugged. Try unhooking it and see if the pressure comes up. You can check with neighbors and see if theirs is low. I had a pinched line under the slide out on a Sierra few years ago and fought this issue for couple years before I found the problem. The new campers use high pressure plumbing and can run much higher water pressure than old ones. A service man told me once the regulator is to protect the hose from bursting. In the same token they are making much better hoses for campers also. Bought a blue RV hose last year and it is tough reinforced. I usually don't run regulator unless pressure is just too high causing splashing problems in the toilet or sinks. Makes the wife angry.
Yes you can run the pump and city water together. Did it while showering with the pinched hose. Just have to fill the holding tank regularly. Whole house filters can get restrictive and need changing also.
Ke5rbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 02:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Why is that?
As stated in the RV users manual in several places. Not sure of the reason, but it may be because of the check valve.
Old 05-17-2015, 03:47 PM   #7

I have found in my 2013 solera that the pressure for the shower/sink is much better using the on board pump vs hook up pressure. But with only 35 gal , showers must be quick

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 05:06 PM   #8
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

There is no kink in the hose. Even after I removed the pressure regulator the flow is still low. With pump on the water from portable is fine. I checked the flow at tap, it seems fine. So it appears to be a clog somewhere. I never used an additional filter. I don't know where the onboard filter is. I found one under the bathroom vanity (see attached photo), but it seems to have just an empty canister. I don't know where the clog is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431900019648.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	77238  
Old 05-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeOnWheels View Post
There is no kink in the hose. Even after I removed the pressure regulator the flow is still low. With pump on the water from portable is fine. I checked the flow at tap, it seems fine. So it appears to be a clog somewhere. I never used an additional filter. I don't know where the onboard filter is. I found one under the bathroom vanity (see attached photo), but it seems to have just an empty canister. I don't know where the clog is.
That's your onboard filter it is a whole house filter and takes a standard 10 inch flow thru filter from Lowes, Home Depot, etc.. It sure isn't installed in a very accessible location.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:03 PM   #10

City Water pressure low

Most city water hook ups have a fine screen strainer right where your supply hose ties in. Remove supply hose and look inside female connection if a screen is present remove it and clean then reinstall. It's a simple fix that is often overlooked.
keg2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:24 PM   #11
2015 Forester MBS 2401W

Thanks for all the good suggestions - I tried all those while at the campsite, no improvement. Only portable water with pump worked. This morning after I left our site, I moved to a nearby site slightly lower than ours (by ~ 20 ft), the water pressure was fine! We camped at top of a hill and water comes from a tank that's higher than us. I don't believe the pressure drops so much from a lower to a higher site. But apparently the back pressure from RV reduces the flow. Again, at tap the water flows just fine, but there is no back pressure. At this point, I've stopped worrying.

Tags
pressure, water