Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #21

We took delivery of ours a month ago too but didn't notice the magnadyne issues till we took a trip to Sedona and Phoenix last weekend and the desert heat caused the radio to go crazy. We live in San Diego where it is much cooler and the radio worked ok
I called madnadyne and they were very helpful
Hopefully new radio will work in the heat
Sandiegodoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #22

Just spent a week on the road with the replacement for the Magnadyne - a Pioneer AVIC-Z140BH with XM add on module. It worked flawlessly. My decision to dump the Magnadyne was a good one. FWIW, even though I could have done it, I decided not to hook up the backup camera to the Pioneer - I just left it connected to the screen located where the rear view mirror should be.
Don Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #23
'79 Bonneville

camera

Our Solera came with a rear view camera with a monitor where the rear view mirror would be located.

Anyone know the rationale for doing this rather than connect the camera to the Magnadyne for viewing in the "camera" mode"?

Our camera failed and the wire from the camera to the control box is not accessible so the only way the camera can be replaced would be cutting the wire and splicing a new wire onto the cut cable.

We are considering replacing the whole unit with a Voyager wireless unit. The dash mounted monitor simply plugs into a standard 12V outlet like a Garmin and the camera can be connected to the nearest running light wiring for its 12V and it has a digital color view screen for a sharper and brighter picture.
bcunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #24
Commercial Member

We do it because many people that tow (boat, car, etc) would like to be able to have the camera on at all times. By hooking it into a separate monitor, you can change radio stations, use the GPS an still keep an eye on the tow vehicle.
Not necessary...other mfg's still wire to the dash radio to save the cost of the extra monitor.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #25
'79 Bonneville

thanks, b.

I suspected that would be the reason because I have a '79 Triumph Bonneville on a receiver hitch carrier and I do need to keep it visible at all times to make sure it is safe - that's why I'm not going to just buy a camera and connect it to the Magnadyne.

What does the factory recommend when the camera fails?
Old 10-24-2012, 02:56 PM   #26
Commercial Member

take it to the dealer if under warranty. From there it depends on where the wire went south. If a wire goes bad, its normally at one of the ends. Might be able to use the old wire to fish down a new wire. It normally passes through the tail light area.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #27
'79 Bonneville

our wire enters the body just above the camera I assumed it went through the roof to get tot he front and then down the windshield pillar where it exits at the bottom to connect to the control box under the dash

There is no plug at the camera end and the wire will not pull through from the rear - about 1-2 feet comes out and then it jams without moving the other end at the control box under the dash and it will not pull down from the windshield pillar at all even though there is a foot or so of slack at the other end.

I'm not going to have a wire from back to front on the outside of the body so replacement with a wireless camera is the only option left at a reasonable cost in money and time.

The dealer is 3 hours from here so taking it there for diagnosis and then again for repair is not a reasonable option. I'm dealing with a local RV service shop that is an authorized warranty service center for FR.

But thanks for the advice. I appreciate the additional technical information. The only remaining question is whether fixing it the right way will be covered by the FR warranty.
Old 10-24-2012, 04:45 PM   #28
'79 Bonneville

OK - sorry - my mistake

I just discovered the wire to the camera comes from the chassis up over the driver's door and then down to the dash. It still apparently goes around enough curves or corners that it will not pull through from either end and splicing at the camera end would be the only alternative for replacing a defective camera or wire because using the old one to pull through a new on will not be possible. A wireless replacement is apparently the most practical fix.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:48 PM   #29

What year is the Solera?

On our 2011 it went bad and it was the camera itself. A simple camera replacement solved the issue quickly. The shop (Toscano) sent a guy over to replace it - love that kind of service. Nothing was wrong with the cables when he checked them out - at least issn our case.

I doubt it is the cabling on yours as well. The cable don't cone out as he quickly found as well. He even improved some connections...

Reiner
Old 10-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #30
'79 Bonneville

Our solera is a 2012 24M.

A defective camera is certainly the most likely cause of our failure as well, but cutting and splicing the cables is not a reasonable solution. If the camera can not be replaced by unplugging the defective one and plugging in a new one, then going wireless is the more practical solution - i.e. equal or less cost and a more serviceable unit for the future if/when it fails again (this one failed in less than 8,000 miles of use.

This should have been installed in a way that would have allowed removing and replacing a defective component without splicing cables with 4 very fine wires and hoping you will end up with a reliable junction. If I had been able to access the connector between the camera and the extension cable, that would have been acceptable.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #31
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
What year is the Solera?

On our 2011 it went bad and it was the camera itself. A simple camera replacement solved the issue quickly. The shop (Toscano) sent a guy over to replace it - love that kind of service. Nothing was wrong with the cables when he checked them out - at least issn our case.

I doubt it is the cabling on yours as well. The cable don't cone out as he quickly found as well. He even improved some connections...

Reiner
Camera or monitor that went bad?