Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2013, 09:38 PM   #41

Magnadyne radio time changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeA View Post
Is there a way to use the GPS without listening to background hum from the radio?

Mike

Yes. Select a source such as USB or the auxiliary input (I can't remember the exact names on the screen). Basically pick a source other than radio. Then go into the GPS. There won't be any background static.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #42

I have done that, but it seems a bit tedious, especially when starting the unit up.

Mike
MikeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:27 AM   #43

Magnadyne

Just another one of the many Magnadynes many features.
2017 Rockwood Mini Lite 2109S
Palmyra,VA
MountainTrippers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 12:09 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Just to follow up, Magnadyne continues to work on bug fixes and has been releasing software updates. From what I have seen their service and support has been pretty good.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Best to ask Santa for a Kenwood unit!
I know you've posted this before, but I can't find it ... what model Kenwood did you go with? And do you like it?
Thanks Debbie.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:38 PM   #46

I love our Kenwood. Unfortunately, the one we bought is no longer available.
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
I love our Kenwood. Unfortunately, the one we bought is no longer available.
Thanks. I'll just search their website and see what I can find.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #48
2012 Solera

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspengirl View Post
I know you've posted this before, but I can't find it ... what model Kenwood did you go with? And do you like it?
Thanks Debbie.
I went a slightly different direction than did Debbie and others. I replaced our Magnadyne with a (non-GPS) Kenwood DDX 470 (about $300 from Amazon - Amazon.com: Kenwood DDX470 Double Din: Car Electronics). Also added a "stand alone" GPS - a Garmin RV760lmt. I like having the GPS independent of the entertainment center - I like the map visible continuously. Also, the 760lmt has "lifetime" map updates and trafffic. I mounted the Garmin above the radio in the center dash well - used a Garmin beanbag-type mount, raised about an inch with a fill board. We also really like the Kenwood. I had to replace the Magnadyne connectors with the Kenwood connectors, but did not have to pull any new wires. The Kenwood mount worked fine in the hole the Magnadyne came out of. I did add a push-button dimmer (breaks the connection to the headlight wire to "undim" the display) as the Solera has the headlights on full time.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
I went a slightly different direction than did Debbie and others. I replaced our Magnadyne with a (non-GPS) Kenwood DDX 470 (about $300 from Amazon - Amazon.com: Kenwood DDX470 Double Din: Car Electronics). Also added a "stand alone" GPS - a Garmin RV760lmt. I like having the GPS independent of the entertainment center - I like the map visible continuously. Also, the 760lmt has "lifetime" map updates and trafffic. I mounted the Garmin above the radio in the center dash well - used a Garmin beanbag-type mount, raised about an inch with a fill board. We also really like the Kenwood. I had to replace the Magnadyne connectors with the Kenwood connectors, but did not have to pull any new wires. The Kenwood mount worked fine in the hole the Magnadyne came out of. I did add a push-button dimmer (breaks the connection to the headlight wire to "undim" the display) as the Solera has the headlights on full time.
Thank you for this information. With the Garmin being a separate unit, can you easily take that with you, for instance, if you wanted to use it in another vehicle?
Old 01-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #50
2012 Solera

Very easy to unclip and use elsewhere. If in another vehicle easiest with a second cord and mount.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:13 AM   #51

That is a good idea! Thanks
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:26 AM   #52

Garmin RV-760LMT is a great unit. You can mount it on your dashboard with one of these:
Amazon.com: Bracketron UFM-210-BL Nav-Mat II Ultra Thin Dash Mount for GPS: GPS & Navigation
It works great, and you can move the Garmin to another vehicle using the suction cup mount.
Camping World sells a unit with Rand-McNally Map database. Lots of people like it, too.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #53
Commercial Member

I use my iPhone for GPS. TomTom app so that I don't need to use data in Canada, that way I have it in every vehicle. The only downside is mounting. Sometimes the 12v or USB is not that close to the dash and not every steering column/speedo is set up for me to prop my phone there.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #54
2012 Solera

Not as "sold" on the Garmin RV760lmt as others are. It is a good GPS and has several nice RV specific features. Due to a "speed limit" quirk, I tend to use it in the "automotive" mode - and the Garmin 1450lmt is a lot cheaper. For my comments, see post #22 in the "Product Reviews: Garmin RV 760lmt" thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...t-43963-3.html.

FYI, jmho, Jim

Tags
radio