Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 PM   #1

Magnadyne radio time changes.

I have the latest Magnadyne radio in my 2013 Solera. My radio was replaced by Magnadyne under warranty and it is the latest model with the front load software upgrade slot, that currently hold my GPS maps.

I can not keep the time on the radio correct. Magnadyne has been in contact but no solution. The GPS time is correct. I set the radio time and it jumps usually by 1 hour and 13 mins. Yesterday it jumped and was 17 mins late after a few mins. I tried to set it 17 mins early and it still jumped to 17 mins late.

Please test this so I can give them more data.

Did Forest River change radio suppliers in 2014? Magnadyne certainly has problems.

Thanks Larry

Old 12-18-2013, 07:08 PM   #2

Best solution is replacement with another brand!

Old 12-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

LOL. Why does Forest River install something as an option that is not very good. A customer should not have to replace a radio in a 1 year old mother home.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #4

Best to ask Santa for a Kenwood unit!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:32 PM   #5

This has proven to be the best solution from previous posts.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 PM   #6
2012 Solera

On my Magnadyne (2012 Solera "S" with third firmware update from Magnadyne) I found it would keep time if (and only if) I kept the "house" battery turned on and set the radio time several minutes AFTER starting the GPS (switching to GPS and letting that function "boot up"). If I set the radio time before booting the GPS, it would change the radio time some apparently random period after starting the GPS. If I then re-set the radio time, it would stay correct. If I followed this routine, the radio and GPS times would stay correct for the duration of our trip - but would mess up again once I put the Solera to sleep (turning off the house battery disconnect switch). (I have since replaced the Magnadyne with a Kenwood non-GPS model and a Garmin GPS - for sound quality reasons, not for this issue.)
Of note, on our 2012 Solera the Magnadyne had separate "unswitched" and "switched" power inputs. Forest River connected the "unswitched" power to the house batteries (NOT through the battery disconnect switch) and connected BOTH the chassis power and the house power to the switched power input - through a circuit designed to avoid feedback of the chassis power to the house batteries/uses and vice-versa. This connection scheme should allow radio use while camping (with the key out of the ignition) and should maintain the clock with the house battery disconnect switch turned off. On my unit using the radio while camping worked - but mine did not retain time setting with the house battery disconnect switch turned "off". The same connections seem to work fine with the Kenwood.
JLeising is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 11:19 PM   #7

Why is everyone recommending replacing the Magnadyne?

So of 3 replies everyone says to replace the Magnadyne.

Forest River do you hear that. Brian??

Why not Make Magnadyne correct it. Why use it? Must be really cheap or much cheaper then other brands. Is saving money more important and have a good component that Forest River selected.

Magnadyne made me a custom harness to test the coach battery or main battery issue so my radio only now works on main battery and the clock still would not keep time.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #8

The staff at Magnadyne are fabulous. They have gone beyond multiple times to assist me. Sadly to no avail and the product was replaced
Old 12-19-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13larry View Post
So of 3 replies everyone says to replace the Magnadyne.

Forest River do you hear that. Brian??

Why not Make Magnadyne correct it. Why use it? Must be really cheap or much cheaper then other brands. Is saving money more important and have a good component that Forest River selected.

Magnadyne made me a custom harness to test the coach battery or main battery issue so my radio only now works on main battery and the clock still would not keep time.
Yes, Yes, we hear it. I'm on here almost every day.

Why does everyone think it must be cause we're trying to save money so we buy cheap crap. I promise you we pay more for that radio than any other large Class C mfg. (Red Hawk-radio only, no CD, Winnie no GPS, Thor, NO GPS or Bluetooth, Coachmen, no DVD, no GPS, etc).

Unlike Mr. customer. We can't go buy from Best Buy everyday. We use 14-16 radios a day so we need a supplier that can keep up. When we commit to the radio we typically commit for the year to guaranty that supply. They came and pitched all the features of the radio and it had more features than any other RV style radio at the time. The more complicated however and the more potential for problems (Healthcare.gov anyone?).

I'm not sure how we can "make" Magnadyne correct it. It seems that they are trying to help. I know that their customer service team has bent over backwards in most cases to try and resolve issues. Replaced units, tested, software updates. They still have a right to warrant their unit. We can't really expect them to replace the unit with another mfg.

To summarize. We are aware, they are aware. If you call, they have been helpful. We'll be looking at other options now that our year is up.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 10:26 AM   #10

Reply to Brian's comment

thanks for the reply.

Magnadyne's customer service is great, but there design team is not.

As a retired electrical engineer I have been patiently working with there customer support and telling him that they have a software issue with the clock keeping time and they do not solve it.

I guess we assume that you pay less because of the quality we see as the consumer, you pay for what you get. I see the cost of the replacement units and do not desire to pay 600-800 for a replacement unit.

Since you order so many radio's can you not insist they make them work correctly?

I can provide a very long email string on my particular case, and suspect many of you customers are living with the problems but not happy with them.

If anyone can support details on problems with the radio please comment here.

thanks Larry

Tags
radio